Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New Samsung 70" LCD W/500,000:1 Contrast ratio

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Harpozep

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted June 15 2007 - 01:11 AM

http://www.ubergizmo...._behemoth.html

Not a lot of details but the caveat being:
"This LED backlight also boasts Samsung's very own local dimming technology that turns off in dark image areas to deliver a contrast ratio that is guaranteed to drop jaws - 500,000 to 1!"

Perhaps real blacks at last with the on/off/dimming technology that localized LEDs can offer. A decent technological direction to pursue.

I've been impressed by Sony's latest LCD XRBs. These newer LCDs are not the gray washed-out compromises of yesterday.

Kudos to Samsung. Let's wait and see if this technology works as well in real file.
Best,
Robert

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted June 17 2007 - 12:00 AM

someone was showing a custom ~35" set a few years ago that did this. I can't remember how many, but they had a matrix of LEDs behind the screen that were dynamically throttled based on content to give a rediculous contrast range.

If I recall properly, they wanted something like $40,000 for a set, and it was water-cooled. But it wasn't Samsung, and it wasn't really a production set; it was more of a tech demonstration that they'd custom build one for anyone who'd cough up the cash.

Leo

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted June 17 2007 - 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Kerr
someone was showing a custom ~35" set a few years ago that did this. I can't remember how many, but they had a matrix of LEDs behind the screen that were dynamically throttled based on content to give a rediculous contrast range.

If I recall properly, they wanted something like $40,000 for a set, and it was water-cooled. But it wasn't Samsung, and it wasn't really a production set; it was more of a tech demonstration that they'd custom build one for anyone who'd cough up the cash.

Leo

That was the Brightside HDR. Not water cooled, they had coolant and radiators out the wazoo. But it was ridiculously bright as well, it doesn't look like the samsung is at all this bright, looks LDR to me based on the picture there, which obviously would reduce the need for such a monstrous cooling system on the brightside display.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,120 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted June 18 2007 - 12:02 AM

Apple is releasing a LED backlight for their new Powerbook and LED backlit monitors are coming out from other makers of LCD screens. I look forward to seeing what Samsung, Panasonic, etc. have done with their new lines at CEDIA this year.

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."