Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Funny Face 50th Anniversary

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted June 13 2007 - 12:40 PM

Paramount continues to recycle their titles. Upcoming is an anniversary edition of the Fred Astaire-Audrey Hepburn musical FUNNY FACE. Many people have complained about this DVD print, so hopefully Paramount has remastered the film. As I said before Paramount does not seem interested in dipping into their catalogue of films not yet released on DVD.
Corey's most wanted R1 dvds:

Little Darlings (1980), My Cousin Rachel (1952), The Deep Blue Sea (1955), The White Cliffs of Dover (1944), Born to Be Bad (1950), Ivy (1947), Reckless (1935), Springtime in the Rockies (1942), The Barretts of Wimpole Street

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   KellyVO

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted June 13 2007 - 01:55 PM

Any ideas on what the extras are? I just got this dvd last Christmas.

Yeah I wish Paramount would release other movies instead of re-releasing other movies.
Most Wanted on DVD: Dragonwyck (1946),  Little Nellie Kelly (1940), Bachelor Mother (1939), Tin Pan Alley (1940), Mother Wore Tights (1947), The Devil and Miss Jones (1941),  Penelope (1966)Fox Please release Betty Grable Vol. 2!

#3 of 29 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted June 13 2007 - 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyVO
Any ideas on what the extras are? I just got this dvd last Christmas.

Yeah I wish Paramount would release other movies instead of re-releasing other movies.

hey! I want some of those other movies!

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   KellyVO

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted June 13 2007 - 03:35 PM

That came out wrong. I just meant that Paramount should be releasing other movies instead of coming out with new editions with the same movies.
Most Wanted on DVD: Dragonwyck (1946),  Little Nellie Kelly (1940), Bachelor Mother (1939), Tin Pan Alley (1940), Mother Wore Tights (1947), The Devil and Miss Jones (1941),  Penelope (1966)Fox Please release Betty Grable Vol. 2!

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted June 14 2007 - 01:34 AM

Happy to hear about a 50th Anniversary Edition of FUNNY FACE. The current DVD is one of the worst-looking I have ever seen which is truly a shame considering how enchantingly beautiful the film itself is with its colors and costumes.

The eternal optimist in me is still hoping that films like SEPTEMBER AFFAIR with Joan Fontaine and Joseph Cotten, Fred Astaire's LET'S DANCE and Danny Kaye's hilarious KNOCK ON WOOD will be released at some point!!!! Also, THE RAT RACE with Tony Curtis and Debbie Reynolds, PAID IN FULL with Lizabeth Scott, RED MOUNTAIN with Alan Ladd and ABOUT MRS. LESLIE with Shirley Booth and Robert Ryan.

Come on Paramount!!!
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted June 14 2007 - 02:34 AM

Paramount is missing out on money to be made.

Little Darlings (1980), My Cousin Rachel (1952), The Deep Blue Sea (1955), The White Cliffs of Dover (1944), Born to Be Bad (1950), Ivy (1947), Reckless (1935), Springtime in the Rockies (1942), The Barretts of Wimpole Street

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted June 14 2007 - 02:47 AM

Also: PLEASURE OF HIS COMPANY, SOMEBODY LOVES ME, BEAU JAMES, OFF LIMITS, MY FAVORITE SPY, KAFKA, MR. MUSIC, LITTLE BOY LOST, THE BUCCANEER, SAMSON AND DELILAH, THE PROUD AND THE PROFANE, THE VAGABOND KING, HERE COME THE GIRLS, BUT NOT FOR ME, PONY EXPRESS, PROMISE HER ANYTHING, FOREVER FEMALE, SOMETHING TO LIVE FOR, DARLING, HOW COULD YOU?, THE MATING SEASON, HITLER: THE LAST TEN DAYS, LITTLE FAUSS AND BIG HAKSEY, LOVE WITH A PROPER STRANGER, PAID IN FULL, THE MOUNTAIN, WATERLOO, RIOT, HURRY SUNDOWN, SKIDOO, SUCH GOOD FRIENDS, TELL ME YOU LOVE ME, JUNIE MOON, HOUDINI, ASSAULT ON THE QUEEN, MY SON JOHN, PAPA'S DELICATE CONDITION, THE ADVENTURES OF MOLL FLANDERS, THE SEARCH FOR BRIDIE MURPHY, WHERE LOVE HAS GONE, HELL'S ISLAND, RUN FOR COVER, ASH WEDNESDAY, ARIZONA BUSHWHACKERS, HOT SPELL, BOEING, BOEING, ONCE IS NOT ENOUGH, TALES THAT WITNESS MADNESS, THE POSSESSION OF JOEL DELANET, WILD IS THE WIND, THE SLENDER THREAD, DOWNHILL RACER, SITUATION HOPELESS...BUT NOT SERIOUS, LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR, HANNIE CALDER, ON THE DOUBLE, BEYOND THE LIMIT, WINGS, THE SEIAL, THAT CERTAIN FEELING, OH, DAD, POOR DAD...., RED LINE 7000, STRATEGIC AIR COMMAND, UNDER TEN FLAGS.....and a repackaging of MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3....
Charles Hoyt

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,275 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted June 14 2007 - 04:01 AM

They remastered To Catch a Thief, another VistaVision film of the same vintage, so hopefully this gets the same treatment.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted June 14 2007 - 06:15 AM

I want Arabesque.

#10 of 29 ONLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,083 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted June 14 2007 - 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA
They remastered To Catch a Thief, another VistaVision film of the same vintage, so hopefully this gets the same treatment.
As much as I would like to see more previously unreleased titles, I also do not have a problem with them circling back and fixing the titles that they did not get right in the first place. If a remastered "Funny Face" looks as good or better than the DVDs of VistaVision titles like "Gunfight at the OK Corral" and the remastered "To Catch a Thief" than I will welcome it with open wallet. Similarly, I would not mind them circling back on "The Court Jester" to get that one right.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,275 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted June 14 2007 - 06:32 AM

I wouldn't mind a decent re-do of White Christmas. Also would kill for a well-done HD version of The Ten Commandments.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#12 of 29 OFFLINE   Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted June 14 2007 - 07:23 AM

I wonder what extras are going to be included. I'm glad I held off buying the old copy cause I saw it for under $7 a lot of places.

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted June 14 2007 - 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
I wonder what extras are going to be included.

According to DVD Empire, it doesn't sound like much:

Features:
Givenchy & His Muse
Parisian Dreams
Paramount in the '50's - Retrospective Featurette
Photo Gallery
Theatrical Trailer

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,426 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted June 14 2007 - 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Newcomb
According to DVD Empire, it doesn't sound like much:

Features:
Givenchy & His Muse
Parisian Dreams
Paramount in the '50's - Retrospective Featurette
Photo Gallery
Theatrical Trailer

Well, that should be enough IF there's a much better transfer this time. And given Paramount's track record on redos Breakfast at Tiffany's and To Catch a Thief, it most probably will be.

Not my favorite Audrey movie, but I'll double dip for an improved picture.

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 870 posts

Posted June 14 2007 - 02:54 PM

How about FUNNY FACE in HD? THAT WOULD BE AMAZING!!!!!!! There arw HD owners over 40!!!! More than twenty something Paramount executives realize!!!!
Ken

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,597 posts

Posted June 14 2007 - 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Koc
How about FUNNY FACE in HD? THAT WOULD BE AMAZING!!!!!!! There arw HD owners over 40!!!! More than twenty something Paramount executives realize!!!!

I'm not over 40 (yet), but yes it would be great in HD.

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts
  • LocationSaranac Lake, NY

Posted September 28 2007 - 06:57 AM

Top: 1st release
Bottom: Upcoming release

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And I hope the framing shifts during a couple of dissolves are fixed, too.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,275 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 28 2007 - 03:23 PM

Seems like a definite improvement so far.

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts
  • LocationSaranac Lake, NY

Posted September 28 2007 - 07:58 PM

The yellow and orange doors and the lack of the green wash down the center of the frame lead me to believe a new source was used for this transfer. I hope the red scene, in the darkroom, is viewable this time around. Last time it was so dark the choreography was lost. There were also "dots" seen on the image, much the same as the VHS "VERTIGO" transfer.

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   seanOhara

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted September 29 2007 - 02:28 AM

Quote:
I hope the red scene, in the darkroom, is viewable this time around. Last time it was so dark the choreography was lost.

Look at the screencaps from the bookstore scene -- there are books visible in the new version that weren't in the original.
My Blog
Les Miserables Volume 1 with my reading of "Four and Four"
Librivox Short Story Collection 34 with my reading of Jack London's "War"

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow