Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
HD DVD Reviews

HTF HD DVD Review: The Cowboys

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,534 posts

Posted June 12 2007 - 01:05 PM

http://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/6/6d/ronsreviews_covers_84448.jpg">

The Cowboys

Studio: Warner Bros.
Year: 1971
US Rating: GP - Parental Guidance Suggested
Film Length: 135 minutes
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Video Resolution/Codec: 1080p/VC-1
Audio: Dolby Digital Plus: English 5.1 , French 5.1 (Dubbed in Quebec), Spanish 1.0
Subtitles: Optional English, French and Spanish subtitles

US Release Date: June 12, 2007

The Film - Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image out of Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"I've broke my back once, and my hip twice. And on my worst day I could still beat the hell out of you."

In the evening of his life, veteran ranch hand Wil Anderson (John Wayne) finds himself without the men he needs to help him heard his cattle, 1500 strong, across the 400 miles of treacherous landscape. Despite his better judgment, he hires on for the task 11 “greenhorn schoolboys”, all fresh faced, young and eager to prove themselves men.
They cross paths with the disquieting Asa Watts (Bruce Dern) and a couple of his men who had recently been released from jail and “looking for work”. Anderson declines their offer and continues on the difficult journey of moving this herd and making these boys into men.

There is a real sense of isolation from the scenery in the opening 20 or so minutes of The Cowboys, a quiet and emptiness that pairs well with Wayne’s aging character. Director Mark Rydell captures that mood exceptionally well with superb moments of Wayne’s character caught in quiet reflection. One scene in particular set against the dying sunlight in front of his home that feels almost like an augury of things to come. Genuine subtlety, in both the scene and the fine performance from the great ‘Duke’, that really elevates the tone of the film.

The Cowboys was released in 1971, a different era of filmmaking for the Western Genre that had been popular for years; the times had changed. Actors like the outstanding Bruce Dern, the lyrical Roscoe Lee Browne and others came from a different school of the profession, yet against the more studied talents of these fine actors, Wayne managed to shine even brighter. The intensity of his performance, gruffer, thicker around the waste and aware of his age, showed the world just how deserving he was of the legend that surrounded him.

Mark Rydell, admittedly not the most experienced director in the western genre (he announces with amazement during his commentary that he had only directed a couple of Gunsmoke episodes), shot with great care and skill a film that tells a tender story against difficult and brutal circumstances. Wayne takes these 11 young boys, made up of actors and rodeo kids alike, into the wilderness of the west to learn to become men and to be responsible and hard working. The balance of the inner, gentle patriarch against the miserly and hardliner teacher to these young boys is very well handled. Rydell also manages to craft a film that, while it lets the west (in this case, New Mexico) be stunning and beautiful as a a backdrop, it never becomes the point of a shot or over romanticized. As Bruce Dern succinctly states in the special features, “It’s a beautiful movie but no one shot is too pretty.”

Bruce Dern here delivers a performance that sizzles with a brooding craziness waiting out beneath his perverse smile, holding his character in the darkest of places. Of his many unhinged characters, Asa Watts may last as one of his most accomplished, certainly one of his most notorious given the audience reactions to what his character does to the great and beloved ‘Duke’ during a memorable fight scene. For that remarkable scene, a fight between the sadistic Watts and the heroic and fatherly Anderson, Rydell managed to construct something that is both brutal and emotionally charged, presenting the scene entirely without music or dialogue until the fist fight is won.

The role of Jedediah Nightlinger was played by Roscoe Lee Brown, in a performance that, much like the man himself, was poetic and full of wisdom. Truly a triumph.

The film was attacked by some critics, mainly for its final act, for having these innocent young children become quite violent as they seek their vengeance. But the vengeance on display here is befitting the time and the circumstance, never once placating the harsh brutality of the era in which this film was set and the harsh reality of the open west.

The Video - Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image out of Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
The Cowboys looks excellent. Occasional print dust and slight grain aside, the clarity brought to the presentation is wonderful. A perfect example is the scene where John Wayne and Slim Pickens visit the one room school house, the whole scene looks crisp and natural, but the close ups of the ‘Duke’ simply look incredible. Filmed in Panavision, 2:35.1, the scope of this film shines. Though this isn’t a film that ponders on the vistas of New Mexico, the dusty plains, rocky trails and greenery of the forest scenes look superb.

The Sound - Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image out of Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Warner Bros. has provided an English 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus surround sound for this edition of The Cowboys and, at times, it really stands out. John Williams’ fantastic orchestral score, which may not always perfectly fit the picture, sounds great and is shown off nicely with the inclusion of an ‘Overture’, ‘Intermission’ and Exit Music’.
The dialogue is very clear, free of noise distortions or hiss. The majority of the action comes from the front channels and the subwoofer gets some play, mostly from the thundering hoofs of the horses and herds.
Not bad at all.

The Extra’s - Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image out of Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Audio Commentary with Filmmaker Director/Producer Mark Rydell – I enjoyed the commentary and the stories that Mark Rydell shared, even if his storytelling felt well trodden, as if he was recalling stories and memories that he had shared again and again through the years. But he was full of great information, from just how much the Duke performed his own stunts, the Dukes humility and how he managed to cast a blacklisted actress (Sarah Cunningham) as Wayne’s wife in the picture, quite the feat given his notoriously conservative viewpoint.

The Cowboys: Together Again (28:36) – This high quality special feature is a great and rare reunion retrospective, bringing together producer/director Mark Rydell with several of the actors from the film. Also sharing some great stories from the production, through interviews, are a few actors that were not able to make the reunion date. I wish more films from the 70’s and earlier could include extras like this.

The Breaking of Boys and the Making of Men (33:21) – This ‘vintage’ featurette provides some great behind the scenes footage of the young boy actors readying to train on horses and Director Mark Rydell on set. Its brief and the footage is beyond grainy, but it’s interesting.

Theatrical Trailer

Final Thoughts
Made at the tail end of Wayne’s career, The Cowboys gave him some wonderful scenes in which to continue to be the ‘Man’s Man’ that he was so widely recognized to be. It also allowed him to give a deeper than usual performance, perhaps aided by his age and the fact that he had lost a lung to cancer. A fact that, as Rydell points out, proves just how dedicated an actor he was.

I can feel the 70’s influence on this picture, something that separates this film from the Westerns before it. The style of acting, the directing choices and even the language in the script do their part to further draw the line between this and the films from the era before it.

This is honestly a very, very good film that has a fairly unique story, some great performances and a great score from John Williams.

Overall Score - Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image out of Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Note: If you are interested in an assessment of the Standard DVD release of this title, check out Ken McAlinden's forum review at this link.

Neil Middlemiss
Kernersville, NC
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#2 of 3 ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted June 12 2007 - 01:48 PM

Neil, thanks for a wonderful review. I watched 'Rio Bravo' and 'The Cowboys' last friday night. It had been years since I had the opportunity to view them and had forgotten just what gems these movies are.

I totally agree with you on the quality of this release. I am not sure Warner could have done anything to improve the quality, either PQ of AQ.

Every time I may get a bit disheartened by the state of the HD formats, along comes a release that shows me what it is all about. Warners gets a 5 star for their effort on 'The Cowboys' from me.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#3 of 3 Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,210 posts

Posted June 12 2007 - 06:53 PM

Thanks for the fine review Neil.

At last, I finally got to see this movie yesterday, for the first time.

It was a quality production.Posted Image
Good acting and the interaction with the young boys, caused many heartfelt moments. The last part of the story was a total surprise!

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection