Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Big Love season 2 ongoing thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
61 replies to this topic

#1 of 62 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted June 12 2007 - 12:40 AM

Season 2 had a pretty good start I thought. Lots of things setup. Now we have to see where it goes.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#2 of 62 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,304 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted June 12 2007 - 04:17 PM

Poor Barb is trapped. She made the responsible decision, but not necessarily the right one. I liked Bill's apology, but it doesn't toss away what have turned into six years of regret for Barb. Half of Bill's original nuclear family feels betrayed by his decision to enter into a polygimous lifestyle. And the two new branches of his family rely on that original branch for structural support. Considering the circumstances into which the family entered plural marriage, I think both Barb and Sarah have a right to be angry.

#3 of 62 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,892 posts

Posted June 13 2007 - 04:44 PM

I don't know...I started to get bored with this show toward the end of season one, but decided to give it a shot still. Unfortunately I remained bored. I'll probably continue to watch since my wife enjoys it, and the previews for next week did look a lot more interesting.

#4 of 62 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,848 posts

Posted June 13 2007 - 11:54 PM

It took me a little bit to get back into the swing of things for this episode, and it was okay, but not quite as interesting as I had remembered it being from last season. But it does look like they are exploring issues of some who were raised in such a situation and now look for more conventional marital means.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#5 of 62 OFFLINE   Jeff Pug

Jeff Pug

Stunt Coordinator

• 108 posts

Posted June 15 2007 - 04:16 AM

any one else laugh when the dude comes to Bill and says " apparently this happens to normal couples all the time"
"the jury is still out on ...science" GOB Bluth

#6 of 62 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted June 18 2007 - 02:39 PM

Good episode, but I'm wondering how in the heck the writers can reasonably resolve how the train is going without total destruction of everything, which I wouldn't care for.

As far as the "+Us" crap on the sign, yeah, sure, it's defacement. So what? I think Bill's taking it too harsh. I mean, do people not go to Hilton hotels because Paris bangs everything that has a pulse? Or do people not shop at Papa John's because the chief owner is an Opus Dei Catholic who donates heavily to anti-abortion causes?

In the end, those things mean little. It's whether or not the product is any good or if it's a good value. If I were a customer, the fact that a major store had a polygamous owner wouldn't mean squat to me unless they were a bunch of minors or against their will.

Look, I may be the wrong person because I'm very sympathetic with Bill, but I just don't see this being the economic disaster they do.
My Current DVD-Profiler

#7 of 62 OFFLINE   Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted June 20 2007 - 06:12 PM

Didn't realize this started already. Anyone know if HBO is going to do an encore recap, (like the first 3 episodes of the season after the 3rd airs). They often do something like this.

#8 of 62 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,304 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted June 21 2007 - 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Good episode, but I'm wondering how in the heck the writers can reasonably resolve how the train is going without total destruction of everything, which I wouldn't care for.
When you live in a house of cards, it's bound to crumble sooner or later. Bill's life for the last six years has been centered on one BIG lie. I think it's only natural that would set him down this path eventually.
Quote:
As far as the "+Us" crap on the sign, yeah, sure, it's defacement. So what? I think Bill's taking it too harsh. I mean, do people not go to Hilton hotels because Paris bangs everything that has a pulse? Or do people not shop at Papa John's because the chief owner is an Opus Dei Catholic who donates heavily to anti-abortion causes?
I think that was the point. Bill stepped over the line on several occasions in this episode. Don keyed in on it, which was what that moment in the SUV at the end was about. I really liked the pay off of Bill's big speech to the billboard CEO - hiring the two menial workers they talked to at the beginning. Considering the sanctimonious air that Bill carries around most of the time, I really enjoy scenes that undercut that and bring the show back to reality.
Quote:
In the end, those things mean little. It's whether or not the product is any good or if it's a good value. If I were a customer, the fact that a major store had a polygamous owner wouldn't mean squat to me unless they were a bunch of minors or against their will.
The Mormon church is extremely sensitive about polygamy. Look at the hell it raised when the series was first announced. It makes sense that LDS members — so often the target of the polygamous stereotypical portrayal — would have a much stronger knee jerk reaction than the rest of the country would.

Did I miss something? What was Rhonda's call to Barb about?

I also really enjoyed the last scene with Joey, considering Nicki's lack of conviction in the power of love. Love doesn't get any more powerful than taking the rap for a crime one didn't commit.

#9 of 62 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,507 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 22 2007 - 04:33 AM

Quote:
Did I miss something? What was Rhonda's call to Barb about?

If I'm not mistaken, she basically copped to being the one who ratted Barb out because she felt jilted.

I think Rhonda has an important part to play soon...

#10 of 62 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted June 25 2007 - 02:32 PM

GREAT episode. Albi is a real PITA, and maybe Bill has found something that is morally questionable.. but would help his family, does he do it or ??

I loved them speeding off as Nikki realized what Bill & Barb had thought all along, that Roman is a creepy bastard.
My Current DVD-Profiler

#11 of 62 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted June 26 2007 - 02:48 AM

I really loved the scene where Mary Kay Place was explaining the family tree to the young girl.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#12 of 62 OFFLINE   Jeff Pounds

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit

• 386 posts

Posted June 26 2007 - 03:47 AM

I thought last night's episode was great.

Can someone in the know explain about the group that Ben's friend was trying to get him involved in? Is that something real, or a "proxy" of something in real life?

It seemed like it was some extreme "chastity" group or something? And what was with Ben getting seemingly beat up at the "concert"? Was that like a mosh-pit kind of thing?
“Do I really look like a man with a plan, Harvey? I don’t have a plan. The mob has plans, the cops have plans. You know what I am, Harvey? I’m a dog chasing cars. I wouldn’t know what to do if I caught one. I just do things. I’m a wrench in the gears. I hate plans. Yours, theirs,...

#13 of 62 OFFLINE   John_Lee

John_Lee

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted June 26 2007 - 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Pounds
I thought last night's episode was great.

Can someone in the know explain about the group that Ben's friend was trying to get him involved in? Is that something real, or a "proxy" of something in real life?

It seemed like it was some extreme "chastity" group or something? And what was with Ben getting seemingly beat up at the "concert"? Was that like a mosh-pit kind of thing?
http://en.wikipedia....i/Straight_edge

#14 of 62 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,304 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted July 01 2007 - 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
GREAT episode.
I agree. Just caught up with it tonight, and that final sequence finally felt like the series was going some place — building toward something.
Quote:
Albi is a real PITA, and maybe Bill has found something that is morally questionable.. but would help his family, does he do it or ??
Albi is a human being who was wronged in a horrible fashion. That his natural indignity has caused such problems speaks to the fragile nature of the Juniper Creek compound: obedience must be absolute in order for it to thrive.
As for stealing Roman's deal out from under him, I fear that could have repercussions beyond the immorality of gambling. Roman might be wounded right now, but he's not dead.
Quote:
I loved them speeding off as Nikki realized what Bill & Barb had thought all along, that Roman is a creepy bastard.
A cornerstone of growing up that she had long avoided due to the fanaticism of her upbringing. We all reach a point when we realize our parents are fallible human beings. In this case, her father is more fallible than most.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty M
I really loved the scene where Mary Kay Place was explaining the family tree to the young girl.
Me too. I especially liked how it highlighted the incest inherent in such complicated family ties, without making explicit judgements.

#15 of 62 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,304 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted July 02 2007 - 06:05 PM

Oh, wow. Lois sure is one sadistic old fuck, huh? All's well that ends well, but... MAN!

#16 of 62 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,848 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 04:19 AM

I think this show is getting really stretched thin with so many characters involved in getting Bill off the hook, while also trying to control him. It's getting a bit too complicated.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#17 of 62 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,304 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted July 09 2007 - 07:20 PM

Good episode for Margene tonight.

And I think the videogambling deal is going to burn them bad.

#18 of 62 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted July 11 2007 - 06:20 AM

If someone is that desperate to sell a major company that he's giving them 7 days to come up with 6-digit figures and counselling his girlfriend to not worry about packing anything before they split.. yeah, something really shady & wrong is going down. Bill should open his eyes and stay the hell out of it.

Will he pick up another wife?
My Current DVD-Profiler

#19 of 62 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted July 11 2007 - 06:56 AM

Quote:
Will he pick up another wife?

If he does that might send Barb out the door, for good.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#20 of 62 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,507 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 16 2007 - 05:04 PM

fun episode.

Man, they really pile it on poor Bill. Now, he's between TWO psycho-prophet sects? And, this new one is straight out of a David Lynch movie! I don't know if polygamists are really like this, but I hope they are! This is rich!!

And, man, Rhonda is the most conniving and evil backwoods beeyotch I have ever seen.

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow