-

Photo
- - - - -

WWDC 2007

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted June 12 2007 - 09:30 AM

For discussion of the Apple Developer Conference (WWDC). Not sure what the WW stands for, but, let's discuss.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted June 12 2007 - 09:32 AM

I started this out because I wanted to ask if anyone heard if new iPods were announced? I've been waiting for a Nano with more memory, but it seems like no announcement came, yet again.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted June 12 2007 - 09:33 AM

Er... looks like WWDC discussion is already taking place under the subject "New Leopard video's". Nevermind.

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted June 12 2007 - 12:56 PM

No hardware was announced at World Wide Developer Conf. just info about Leopard and a little about iPhone

#5 of 14 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,859 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted June 12 2007 - 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_B
I started this out because I wanted to ask if anyone heard if new iPods were announced? I've been waiting for a Nano with more memory, but it seems like no announcement came, yet again.
Didn't the 2G nanos just come out a few months ago? They released the 8GB nano.

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,515 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted June 12 2007 - 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_B
For discussion of the Apple Developer Conference (WWDC). Not sure what the WW stands for, but, let's discuss.

WW = Worldwide

- Steve

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter

• 1,709 posts

Posted June 12 2007 - 11:24 PM

I wonder why so many people expected things like iPod and iMac announcements at a developer's conference? It's not a consumer equipment show, it's a show for software developers.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,345 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted June 13 2007 - 01:21 AM

The G5, iSight camera and MacPro were all unveiled at previous WWDC keynotes.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted June 13 2007 - 05:38 AM

Quote:
WW = Worldwide

I guess back when Apple was still named Apple Computer they wanted to avoiding having their DevCon called "ACDC".

Quote:
I wonder why so many people expected things like iPod and iMac announcements at a developer's conference?

True enough. It's just I expected the 16GB iPod to be introduced at the last consumer show, but it was ignored in favor of the phone. I thought there was a chance they'd use the DevCon to give a quick update on the rest of their product line.

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,884 posts

Posted June 13 2007 - 06:21 AM

Apple seems to be releasing most hardware updates these days separate from MacWorld or WWDC. MacBook(&Pro) updates came out, announcement free, over the last few weeks.

Unless there is some radical change (or brand new product), they won't bother with a special event.

Ted
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter

• 1,709 posts

Posted June 13 2007 - 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_K_Sr
The G5, iSight camera and MacPro were all unveiled at previous WWDC keynotes.

The G5 and the MacPro are both things that could be useful to pros -- new iPods and new consumer computers, not so much.

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,345 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted June 13 2007 - 04:18 PM

So you think developers only code on Pro towers? I think I know two...all of the rest use iMacs.

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,884 posts

Posted June 15 2007 - 07:27 AM

Quote:
So you think developers only code on Pro towers? I think I know two...all of the rest use iMacs.
Every single developer I know codes on a MacBookPro. Yes, some also have MacPros, but all have MacBookPros.

MacPros these days are mainly the province of video professionals and others who require major horse power, or wish to hook up a large number of 30" Apple Cinema Displays (see Gore, Al). For just writing code, any Mac will do fine these days, from a Mini on up.
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter

• 1,709 posts

Posted June 16 2007 - 03:19 PM

Quote:

Alrighty, you win -- there was good reason to believe they'd announce new iPods at WWDC because developers use iMacs.

Back to Apple and Macintosh

Forum Nav Content I Follow