Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Columbo: Going out-of-print?!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   docdoowop

docdoowop

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted June 12 2007 - 05:45 AM

In late May Best Buy had a nice sale on all seasons of Columbo and I picked them all up but season three, which wasn't on the shelf. BB issued me a rain check and I've been waiting for a restock. Today I asked a management-level store employee to see what the status of season three is and was told it's been discontinued! No information in their system about a possible new version, either.

I'll be picking it up for slightly more money during the Deep Discount sale as it's listed as still in stock there, but I wonder what's up?

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted June 12 2007 - 06:03 AM

Season 3 is still showing at Universal's site and there's no indication one way or the other that it's going out of print.

http://homevideo.uni....?childId=35560

Universal doesn't have a very good track record for completing series on DVD but, save for some of the later TV movies, here's a case where they did, suggesting that "Columbo" has been a good seller for them. Though I suppose it's possible, I'd really be surprised if Universal stopped offering "Columbo." Maybe they're just temporarily halting manufacture of the title until they can thin inventories a bit.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted June 12 2007 - 06:12 AM

Don't believe a word of it ... store chains are always discontinuing DVD titles to make room for more DVD times coming out ... Target does the same thing. That doesdn't mean that the studio has discontinued the item ...

The Best Buy site still lists it, most likely, and the store near me also still sells all of the sets ... I'm just waiting for them to re-stock Season 3 so I can complete my series ...

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted June 12 2007 - 06:30 AM

I have noticed that my BB doesnt carry Columbo season 3 anymore. Thats the one on DVD 18s. They dont carry many, if any of Universals problem sets. I would love for that season to be repressed on single sided discs like the others. Hey, they did it with Northern Exposure season 1 and 2...maybe huh?

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted June 12 2007 - 07:09 AM

I went to three BB stores in the N. Texas area when they had their late May $19.99 per season sale and was not able to find S3 as well. I was able to purchase S4 only, having purchased the first two seasons at a prior sale.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   if200

if200

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted June 12 2007 - 09:40 AM

You can get it from deepdiscount.com for close to $21 including shipping and no tax. Use code dealcatcher to get 20% off the price. Sale ends the 16th.

Just completed my set. Love the show.