Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
HD DVD Reviews

HTF HD DVD Review: Rio Bravo - RECOMMENDED

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,767 posts

Posted June 11 2007 - 12:55 PM

http://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/f/fd/ronsreviews_covers_84453.jpg">

Rio Bravo

Studio: Warner Bros.
Year: 1959
US Rating: Not Rated
Film Length: 141 minutes
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Video Resolution/Codec: 1080p/VC-1
Audio: English 1.0 Dolby Plus, French 1.0
Subtitles: Optional English, French and Spanish subtitles

US Release Date: June 12, 2007

The Film - Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image out of Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"If any trouble starts around this jail, before anybody can get to you you're gonna get accidentally shot."

Legendary filmmaker, Howard Hawks retreated from Hollywood after the critical and commercial failure of the ambitious Land of the Pharaohs. He sunk himself into Europe for nearly four years and when he finally reemerged, he found the landscape of American entertainment had entered a new phase. The explosion of serialized television, episodic character focused shows, a clear one third of which were set in the Western Genre, in many ways helped set the tone that he would ultimately infuse in his crowning directorial achievement, Rio Bravo.

The story is simple, as most great westerns are. After killing a man during a fight in a saloon, Joe Burdette (Claude Akins) is arrested by the sheriff and hauled to jail where he is to wait until the US Marshals can arrive and take him into Custody. However, Burdette is brother to a powerful local rancher, who along with his band of criminal elements looks to engineer his escape. John Wayne stars as Sheriff John T. Chance, who along with the gimp-legged Stumpy (played by legendary character actor Walter Brennan) and recovering alcoholic “Dude”, (a surprisingly effective Dean Martin) must stand their ground at the town jail until the US Marshal comes. Arriving in town just after the murderer is taken into Custody is an old friend of the Sheriff, Pat Wheeler (Ward Bond) and a very young, confident gun slinger by the name of Colorado Nelson, played by teen idol of the day, Ricky Nelson. Finally, Feathers, a sharp witted and strong female arrives, played by the stunningly beautiful Angie Dickinson, adding what many film historians and Howard Hawk’s fans regard as the quintessential ‘Hawksian’ woman to the mix.

Filmed at the famous Old Tucson Studios (a move that enabled a resurgence of the ailing studio), Rio Bravo is considered one of the greatest westerns ever made and certainly noted as Hawk’s crowning achievement. Signing on the larger than life John Wayne to the role of the Sheriff helped Hawk’s get the project green lit and gave cinema one of its most beloved films. The film gave both Hawks and the ‘Duke’ a shot in the arms of their careers, gave Dean Martin credibility as a serious actor and inspired a generation of filmmakers in their craft.

Working from an accomplished script, filled with engaging characters and spirited dialogue that earns much praise for both its levity and, in places, brevity, the filmmaker poured in his craftsmanship. Endowing the film with his simplicity and deliberate scene staging, producing a marvelous, contented character-enabled atmosphere interrupted by lively gun battles and the brewing unease of a town under siege, especially during the third act.

The opening of Rio Bravo is also extremely noteworthy. Harkening back to the silent era, Hawks’ built up a scene that set the stage for the film’s major plot points without any dialogue for over 4 and a half minutes. It is, without question, a highlight of this film.

While his style may lack flair, his scenes are well framed and seamlessly staged and, though there is a growing retrospective appreciation of his films, it seems that due credit is still not aptly afforded this talented filmmaker for the work he crafted. Perhaps most underappreciated is Hawks’ faith in the simplicity of performance over dialogue. Many of the better scenes in Rio Bravo conclude with the actors doing more with a shrug, a cutting of the eyes or a firm stare than creative editing or complicated angles could accomplish. That must be Hawk’s style. Rather than using grand filmic overtures, sweeping Southwest vistas or editing driven drama to tell his westerns, he prefers to allow the simplicity of his shots, much like the overall story, to connect to the audience.

The quickly established atmosphere of a confined town, slowly tightening through the film, with the protagonists waiting for the impending action of the powerful rancher brother, is inspired. Hawks never betrays that tightness, concentrating most of the action in the film inside the jail, the saloons, hotel and the main street. Only during the third act are the confines of the town breached for the final showdown during the prisoner exchange, a choice that preserves that concentrated ‘bottled-up’ town atmosphere, providing an extra boost to the action as a kind of release, a stretching of the arms and legs almost after being pent up for two hours.

The casting choices in Rio Bravo also establish this film as a classic amongst classics. John Wayne, back in the genre after an absence of several years must have come as a welcome return for audiences back in 1959. With his John T. Chance character, the ‘Duke’ is again the great onscreen ‘observer’, soaking up scenes with his eyes and posture in a way that represents an unyielding calm. This is a character that rarely says more than is needed, which is not to say that he is hushed or monosyllabic, just imbibed with an ability to be as much a presence in a scene simply by standing there as those doing most of the talking.
There is much more to his iconic swagger and drawn speech than the legend ascribes. His is a fiercely simple approach to scenes that, through the years, matured into a display of an inner complexity to his rugged and familiar archetypal roles. He manages to seethe common sense and a larger than life presence; a confidence and weathered wisdom that add to his appeal, something displayed with such force during Rio Bravo that it is not hard to understand why this man became the legend that he has.

Dean Martin as the recovering alcoholic, fallen from grace deputy really was inspired casting. Choosing Martin, a charming and sly member of the Rat Pack allowed him to deliver a performance filled with an acerbic sarcasm and self disenfranchised loner mentality that softens through the film. He carries the weight of a love lost and alcoholic compulsion in every step, managing to be the troubled but witty man measuring himself against his former self, and fighting that demon, all while supporting the Sherriff and his duty. A grand achievement.

As described in the film, the Colorado character, played by teen heartthrob Ricky Nelson, is a youthful, smart and cautiously calm gunslinger. Nelson plays it pretty straight and honest and feels right at home next to the towering presence of Wayne. The confident Colorado, or ‘Cola-rada’ as Sherriff Chance says, has an inexperienced and youthful face that hides the simmering cool and sharp-shot skills of this young man.

Angie Dickinson gives an impressively balanced, sharp and strong performance as Feathers, the girl who drifts into town just as the trouble starts up. Her young age when she was cast in this role seems to have been a choice questioned as the romantic interest for the much older Wayne. But, perhaps as a result of the postmodern diversification of onscreen romances, the impact has lessened to near nothing now.

Finally, Stumpy, the near caricature character played by the enormously popular Walter Brennan, is extremely likeable. Constantly underappreciated and seemingly befuddled, Stumpy is the grouchy comic relief. The impression he performs of the Duke’s authoritative speech style near the end is genuinely delightful.

There is a scene in the film, inside the jail the night before the big showdown where Hawks examines with little dialogue, the camaraderie and male bonding that he enjoyed so much. Here, Dean Martin croons a sweet song, “My Rifle, My Pony and Me” with Ricky Nelson, followed by Ricky Nelson leading the toe tapping “Get Along Home, Cindy”. It might seem an odd interlude, but given Hawks pacing and story telling, and how he enjoys moments where we casually spend time with the characters, this counterpoint to the brewing tension feels like an appropriate diversionary and relevant moment, and is one to enjoy.

Hawks delivers a solid and entertaining western, worthy to be considered his greatest accomplishment.

The Video - Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image out of Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
There is much discussion and disagreement it seems over how this film has fared with its restoration. I did not see this film in theaters and must rely on my memory of how it has looked through the years in its various forms to judge it. While the ultimate authority for the look of this film must rest with those who remember it on the big screen and those charged with preserving the negatives, I can say that I doubt that Rio Bravo has ever looked this good. While there is a continuous presence of film grain, it appears to be inherent to the original negative and so is preserved faithfully here. The opening shot in particular is grainy but I will be honest, it feels right at home. That might be my over-romanticizing of the films of this grand era, but that is how I remember these films. There are some shots in the film particularly one of John Wayne standing outside the jail as the sun sets that appear to have a strange over-saturation of color, but again, that might very well be how that shot was originally seen and appreciated. Some softness exists in scenes when compared to others, but to get a sense of just how clean and clear this presentation is, just pay attention to the scene dissolves. Compared with the picture at large, they contain a lot of grain, but never so much to deplete my appreciation for how this film looks. Also, in comparing scenes from this HD-DVD version with the clips available in the special features, the look of the film is warmer, hints of yellow and brown that tend to deepen those colors. It is not perfect, even for a film of Rio Bravo’s age, but it is a solid one.

The Sound - Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image out of Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Rio Bravo comes with a Dolby Digital 1.0 mono track. While not at all enveloping (due to no surround activity), this audio track is free from hiss, pops and audio drop-outs. Much of the film is dialogue and that comes across nicely. The pops of guns and shot guns and the dynamite explosions at the end sound quite good. Overall, for its age, this is an excellent audio track.

The Extra’s - Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image out of Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Audio Commentary with Filmmaker John Carpenter and Film Historian Richard Shickel – This is a great, solid audio commentary, with both men discussing with great appreciation, this film and the career of Howard Hawks. Both men, Carpenter in particular, offer a great deal of good information about the film, the context and the filmmaking techniques, describing Hawks as a man with “a clarity and simplicity of vision”. They seem to capture, passionately and affectionately, the essence of Hawks and his impact on Westerns and films in general.
The commentary of Carpenter and Shickel was not recorded at the same time but rather edited together, a choice that is a little disconnecting at times as they speak independently of the same things at times and it feels a little odd. But overall, this is an excellent commentary track.

Old Tucson: Where Legends Walked (8:33) – A brief and simple location retrospective that, while a little touristy at times, shows off the studio location nicely.

Commemoration: Howard Hawk’s Rio Bravo (33:21) – A fine mini-documentary on Director Hawks making of Rio Bravo, featuring the insightful perspectives of filmmakers Peter Bogdanovich, Walter Hill and longtime Hawks admirer, John Carpenter. It also features interview snippets from Angie Dickinson and audio excerpts of Hawks discussing the making of the film. This a great feature, discussing with depth and insight the man, his style and his film. Of note is the discussion of the alternate ending that Hawks filmed when the ratings board decided that his original ending provided for too obvious an implication that the Sherriff and Feathers would be sexually intimate. Sadly, footage of the original ending did not survive.

The Men Who Made Movies – Howard Hawks (55:00) – This fine 2001 mini-documentary, originally for produced for Turner Classic Movies, is filled with interview clips with Howard Hawks interspersed with clips from his films through the years, all the way back to the 1930’s Dawn Patrol. It is an excellent examination from the man himself of just how simply the films were approached. Either he likes the scene he shot or he didn’t, and if he didn’t, he stayed there until he did. This is an engrossing documentary, narrated by another great filmmaker, Sydney Pollack and is a welcome inclusion.

Wayne Trailer Gallery – Theatrical Trailers for:
The Big Stampede (1932)
Haunted Gold (1932)
Somewhere In Sonora (1933)
The Man From Monterey (1933)
Rio Bravo (1939)

Final Thoughts
Rio Bravo is every bit the classic western and quite the accomplishment in the pantheon of great cinema. Filled with stand-out and enjoyable performances with a simple story solidly told, it is highly regarded for very good reason.

Howard Hawks returned again to the themes examined in Rio Bravo with both El Dorado (1966) and Rio Lobo (1970), in what are considered unofficial remakes. John Carpenter, who remade one of Hawk’s earlier works (and one of my favorites) The Thing From Another World, cites Rio Bravo as a major source of inspiration for his 1976 film Assault on Precinct 13.

The quality of this HD-DVD release is also highly commendable, with a solid audio track, picture quality that is for the most part, faithful, and extras that carefully appreciate the mastery of this film, it is an easy one to recommend.

Overall Score - Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image out of Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Note: If you are interested in an assessment of the Standard DVD release of this title, check out Ken McAlinden's forum review at this link.
Note: If you are interested in an assessment of the Blu-Ray release of this title, check out Kevin EK's forum review at this link.

Neil Middlemiss
Kernersville, NC
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted June 11 2007 - 01:47 PM

Thanks for the review.
I don't know how much Duke I need in HD,
however glad to know about the PQ on this release.
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,575 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 12 2007 - 03:45 PM

Thanks for the review, Neil. I watched RIO BRAVO tonight on Blu-ray, and while the picture didn't match the astonishing clarity of THE SEARCHERS (which was, after all, filmed in Vistavision), I still thought this looked amazingly dimensional and the deep saturation of color was so lush, it was hard not to just "fall into the movie."

A real winner in every way.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted June 12 2007 - 04:03 PM

Neil, thanks for another great review. As I posted in the review of The Cowboys review, I watched 'Rio Bravo' and 'The Cowboys' last friday night. It was a delightful night with two great releases of great films. These releases are about as good as these movies are ever going to look, and luckily, that is quite good.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,767 posts

Posted June 12 2007 - 04:12 PM

Thanks, Thomas, I appreciate that.

I watched these two films back to back and just loved every minute of them both. John Wayne really was a delight in both films but in slightly different ways.

I can see me popping these back in the player some Sunday afternoon and relaxing with the Duke again sometime soon.
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,665 posts

Posted June 19 2007 - 08:28 PM

As I already posted in the "Rio Bravo/Cowboys" thread, I have seen it in the cinema more than 45 years ago, and I think the colour (especially the night- and indoor scenes) look exactly as I remember.
OK, 45 years is a lot, but nevertheless.

Some brownish/yellow colouring of very bright scenes (the sunny ones), especially noticed in the colour of faces made me wonder indeed, but honestly, after looking again, I think it's like I remember (or very closely so).

The film looks wonderful on this HD DVD release. I'm assuming that the BD version (where they're having the same discussion) has gotten the same video files and therefore is as faithful to the original as this one.

Cees

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted June 19 2007 - 11:46 PM

This is a film that I can put in just about anytime and it puts a smile on my face. It's like comfort food.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers