What's new

CD shops are closing (1 Viewer)

Bob_M

Stunt Coordinator
Hi All,

I noticed that most of the CD's shops are closing down which I assume is because of online download for music distribution. Is the quality of a CD burned from downloaded music file the same as if I purchased it from a store. Specifically Itunes?

Thanks Bob

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Generally, downloaded songs are not the same quality as the sound on a CD. There are some services that offer higher quality downloads, though.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Sam the Record Man (a chain in Canada) is closing it's flagship Toronto store (with only 2 other stores remaining).
It's pretty sad that such a landmark will no longer be there in the heart of downtown Toronto. I hope they keep the neon sign for historical reasons.

I still buy CDs and never have (and never will) purchase music digitally. I spend money to own a physical product I can put on the shelf.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I can't remember the last time I purchased a CD from a local store, even a Best Buy or Circuit City. All the Musiclands and Sam Goodys have closed around here.

I don't download any music from the internet such as itunes or even non legal avenues.

I buy an occasional used CD at CD Warehouse, but most of my new CD's are purchased at BMG or deepdiscountcd.com

I use XM radio as my tool to discover new music.

Paul

Bob_M

Stunt Coordinator
I can see where building a digital library has its advantages, i.e music server. If I rip a song from a CD, how can I maintain the quality? Thanks Bob

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I can understand how CD stores are closing down.

As for me, I haven't bought a CD in years. Once in a while I'll buy
a DVD-A, but that's the extent of it.

I listen to XM radio, jot down songs I like, and then go to a website
to download the songs in 320kpbs which sounds closer to CD than what
most other online music sites offer.

It's a shame that these stores are closing down (particularly the
beautiful store in Toronto), but it seems that digital downloading
has become a highly popular tool of obtaining music.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Just playing devil's advocate here, but what if your hard drive or media server craps out and you haven't sufficiently backed it up (as most people don't)? Then what? You don't have the originals to reload!

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Just use one of the many 'lossless' codecs for ripping music. Apple's iTunes does have a lossless setting, but iTunes music store doesn't offer lossless music (Which is why I use iTunes but don't buy from them).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I bought a CD from Best Buy on Friday (several, actually). Bought online for in-store pickup. Actually, I do most of my CD shopping with Amazon Sellers. Sometimes I'll order from BMG when they have a good sale going.

The bad news was when I discovered that in BB's beautiful new store (they just moved to a bigger location across the street), they got rid of the hi-res audio section. SACDs and DVD-As are now just mixed in with the regular CDs. :frowning:

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Wow, I remember going to that store when I visited the city on a school trip. I'm sorry to see it go.

I'm still a heavy buyer of CDs, since it is the only way to get some music, and it is still probably the best archive medium. Also, it is still a better deal than most downloadable sources.

Jason

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
My 14 year old daughter likes to download music from iodines, but I don't. I've explained lossy compression to her and she understands it, but likes the convenience. She mostly listens to music with her iodines.

I still buy plenty of CDs and buy mostly from Best Buy. I also buy on-lin from Amazon and Deep Discount. I prefer having a CD and seeing it placed on the shelf.

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Problem is i haven't seen many albums worht buying anymore. Most groups only have a handfull of songs that are worth listing to. i hate when the album is 90% fluff and one token song. I have most of my music in 128, with some of the better quality songs in 320. Mp3s do get damn big when using non loss though, i think like 15megs a file vs. 3

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
I have never purchased a song online nor do I care to. I want the album, if even if the album is a cd. I don't want a file. It's fine if it's Tax Cut, not for music.

I can put my own cds on the computer and convert to whatever, but I want to have my collection.

I buy from stores almost weekly and will be headed later today to pick up the Traveling Wilbury's.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I still buy CDs and like to have a physical product. I will download songs every now and then, though. For example, I have all of the Martin Denny CDs, and his greatest hits had only one or two songs that were not on those discs. Instead of tracking down a set full of duplicates to get a couple of new songs, I downloaded the few unique tracks from iTunes.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I am really disturbed by the closure of CD shops.

I have never downloaded a song and I doubt I will ever use that form of distribution as my main source of building my music library. Therefore, I am still buying CDs, SACDs, and starting recently, DVD-As at brick-and-mortar stores. Surprisingly, given its low prices, I have rarely purchased more than one CD per month from yourmusic.com.

On top of that, I am a collector of 1st pressing CDs (those from early to mid 80s) and I need to physically inspect the discs before I am paying big bucks for these.

Personally, I enjoy "the hunt" at a brick-and mortar store much more than buying online.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks