-

Photo
- - - - -

Square Pegs (MERGED THREAD)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

#41 of 68 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,173 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted February 25 2008 - 05:03 PM

If it doesn't make money, what are they gonna do? Not release non-existent future seasons?

And enough with the minisodes. If they want to put episodes from other series (UNCUT ONES) that make some sense, why not Jami Gertz's appearances on The Facts of Life?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#42 of 68 Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted February 25 2008 - 05:37 PM

Great to see Square Pegs is finally being released!It currently airs,on the Deja View network,here in Canada,but it comes on in an inconvenient time for me.Also,there's the question of whether or not Deja View edited the music out of the episodes.So it'll be good to watch the set,at my leisure,with, hopefully,all the music intact.

#43 of 68 Scott Hamilton

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator

• 171 posts

Posted April 06 2008 - 12:06 AM

Finally it is coming out on May 20 2008.

Lets hope for all uncut episodes.

#44 of 68 pghjerry

pghjerry

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted April 06 2008 - 05:42 AM

based on the total running time , it kinda makes me worry that they are using syndicated episodes.

#45 of 68 Pavan_P

Pavan_P

Second Unit

• 321 posts

Posted May 19 2008 - 03:06 AM

DVD review for Pegs:

Sitcoms Online - Square Pegs - The Like, Totally Complete Series... Totally DVD Review

#46 of 68 Pavan_P

Pavan_P

Second Unit

• 321 posts

Posted May 19 2008 - 03:07 AM

DVD Review:

Sitcoms Online - Square Pegs - The Like, Totally Complete Series... Totally DVD Review

#47 of 68 pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,835 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted May 19 2008 - 04:21 AM

Well, this is certainly good news! I was a bit nervous about this release, but it looks like we're getting full-length episodes with almost all music intact (excepting one Billy Idol song.) For a week one street price of twenty bucks, this looks like a no-brainer purchase to me. As always, YMMV, but "...it behooves me to say..." I'll be picking this up tomorrow! Posted Image
Gary

#48 of 68 pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,835 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted May 19 2008 - 08:24 AM

Another positive review... This time, it's at DVD Talk. Things are really starting to look up!
Gary

#49 of 68 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,228 posts

Posted May 19 2008 - 03:05 PM

The DVD Talk review is way too harsh on pic quality. I'm seven episodes into this set, and it looks AMAZINGLY good for a 26-year-old TV series. Watch S1 of Newhart - another 1982-83 show - and you'll find the kind of ugly visuals I expected here. The shows don't look perfect, but they look very good, ESPECIALLY given their age and origins. I'm very, very pleased with the picture quality - anyone who bitches about it simply expects too much from a 1982-83 TV series...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#50 of 68 Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts

Posted May 19 2008 - 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Jacobson
The DVD Talk review is way too harsh on pic quality. I'm seven episodes into this set, and it looks AMAZINGLY good for a 26-year-old TV series. Watch S1 of Newhart - another 1982-83 show - and you'll find the kind of ugly visuals I expected here. The shows don't look perfect, but they look very good, ESPECIALLY given their age and origins. I'm very, very pleased with the picture quality - anyone who bitches about it simply expects too much from a 1982-83 TV series...

Was Square Pegs shot directly on video? or 35mm?
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#51 of 68 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,173 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted May 19 2008 - 08:05 PM

Square Pegs was shot on film, being the only show from Embassy TV (Norman Lear's company) not to be shot on tape. That's why it looks better than videotaped series of that era.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#52 of 68 David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,093 posts

Posted May 19 2008 - 08:08 PM

I guarantee you that there will be at least a few idiots who will boycott this great release because of the missing Billy Idol song. Their loss !
Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

#53 of 68 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,608 posts

Posted May 20 2008 - 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rain
I guarantee you that there will be at least a few idiots who will boycott this great release because of the missing Billy Idol song. Their loss !
Yup, their loss. I'm snapping this upPosted Image

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#54 of 68 Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts

Posted May 20 2008 - 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA
Square Pegs was shot on film, being the only show from Embassy TV (Norman Lear's company) not to be shot on tape. That's why it looks better than videotaped series of that era.

that's what I thought. It was just strange the guy would compare it to Newhart since that first season was shot on video.

anyone hearing about the "new" transfers on the Soap DVD collection?
come see the reviews at

#55 of 68 David Levine

David Levine

Supporting Actor

• 502 posts

Posted May 20 2008 - 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey3rd

I'd be stunned if they are anything but excess inventory repackaged.

#56 of 68 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,173 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted May 20 2008 - 07:36 AM

Quote:
that's what I thought. It was just strange the guy would compare it to Newhart since that first season was shot on video.

Who is saying they are new? Although there's no reason why it shouldn't have looked at least as good as Benson S1, considering they share production companies and had comparable production budgets and staging/technical setups.

#57 of 68 Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts

Posted May 20 2008 - 07:53 AM

Quote:
Who is saying they are new? Although there's no reason why it shouldn't have looked at least as good as Benson S1, considering they share production companies and had comparable production budgets and staging/technical setups.

That would be Sony now promoting that the episodes on the giant Soap boxset have been "Remastered in High Definition" which is kinda funny. Far as the production costs being equal - what matters is what tape they pulled from the vault for the transfers. Did you not see the hideous quality of certain episodes? They did look like they were lifted off EP VHS tapes.

I'm watching Square Pegs right now and they are really good transfers. We'll be making comments about adopting Guatamalean kids.
come see the reviews at

#58 of 68 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,173 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted May 20 2008 - 01:01 PM

Quote:
That would be Sony now promoting that the episodes on the giant Soap boxset have been "Remastered in High Definition" which is kinda funny. Far as the production costs being equal - what matters is what tape they pulled from the vault for the transfers. Did you not see the hideous quality of certain episodes? They did look like they were lifted off EP VHS tapes.

I'm watching Square Pegs right now and they are really good transfers. We'll be making comments about adopting Guatamalean kids.

"Remastered in High Definition" is next to impossible for a 1970s videotaped series, but that doesn't stop them from putting it on almost every boxed set they put out. It is obvious they did not get anywhere first generation tapes.

#59 of 68 Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted May 20 2008 - 04:14 PM

is the Devo performance entact?

#60 of 68 Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts

Posted May 20 2008 - 04:53 PM

Quote:
"Remastered in High Definition" is next to impossible for a 1970s videotaped series, but that doesn't stop them from putting it on almost every boxed set they put out. It is obvious they did not get anywhere first generation tapes.

I recently had to deal with an idiot director who kept swearing he could easily transfer his Beta SP project to HD Video with true 1080p anamorphic image. Perhaps he's now an executive at Sony?

I'm just amazed at the job Sony did on Square Pegs. For once they didn't completely screw up a release. And thankfully this is a one season wonder cause we don't have to as "when's season 2" coming out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_B!
is the Devo performance entact?
yes along with the waitresses in the pilot
come see the reviews at

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow