What's new

Square Pegs (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
I recently read that Square Pegs is being shown on Comcast's Tube Time service.Does anybody think it will be released on DVD?I know there was music used that would have to be cleared,but from what I remember,there wasn't that much. Also,seeing how Sarah Jessica Parker was in Sex & The City,which was very popular,you'd think Sony would have scoured the vaults and released it.Then again,maybe if Sony had any plans for Sqaure Pegs release,it would have happened before now.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
It's too bad that Sony owns the rights this show is long overdue. I can only hope a outside studio like Shout Factory might buy the rights.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I thought the same thing, Stephen. A lot of SJP fans would be grabbing this up. Not sure why Sony hasn't released it yet. I, for one, am definitely waiting for its release. I will definitely be buying it once they release it. Hope it's soon.

There's not too much music to clear. The songs from The Waitresses and Devo are all I could think of apart from Slash's "I'm Tired" :laugh:

Claude North

Second Unit
I definitely remember a snippet of Josie Cotton's "He Could Be the One" in an episode. I think there was a lot of music used in the background, such as when they went to that after-school hangout. The show had a "new wave" bent, so they used less well known music, which could make it easier to clear the songs than if the episodes were loaded up with Madonna and Prince songs.

I'd definitely buy this release, provided it was done properly.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Although I have enough bones to pick with them to make up a human skeleton, Sony is okay with music clearance other than the MwC and Dawson's Creek themes. They're certainly better than Paramount.

BTW, this was one of the only shows from Norman Lear's production company to be shot on film (the other was Palmerstown USA), and it was rerun on HDNet. I didn't have an HDTV at the time so I can't comment on its presentation, but I just thought it was worth mentioning.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
There was "Dancing with Myself" by Bily Idol in the Bill Murray episode and I remember the school DJ playing a Berlin song for a few seconds.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert

Yes! I was just thinking that. Hmmmm, more music was used than I thought. Maybe that's what's holding this up. I hope they're working on it.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
More music than I thought,as well.When I said "not that much music" I should have elaborated and said not as much music as other shows like Miami Vice,Saturday Night Live or WKRP In Cincinnati(Vice & SNL had all the music intact,but......well we know what happened to WKRP).

John*P

Second Unit
I'd buy this as a Complete Series DVD set for sure.

It would be nice if the inclusion of Square Pegs on Comcast's Tube Time was being used to prep the fans for an upcoming DVD release. (wasn't that sorta the case with Silver Spoons and Facts of Life?)

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
I saw an episode of this earlier this afternoon and I enjoyed it very much.There was no music used in this episode,except for a school fight song which was obviously written by the writer's for use in the show.It could have been edited,but it didn't seem so.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

Then how did Rhino get their hands on Get a Life? And how did Shout! get a hold of Father Knows Best?

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Tough call, they may have a hard time considering a show from more than 20 years ago that lasted only one season. I would buy it, but seeing little syndication, the show has little exposure in broadcast realm, because of its one-season run. Maybe SJP would like to put the past behind her regarding that show?

Also, there was some music. Didn't Marshall and Johnny run a school radio station?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Not necessarily. Since its cancellation it has been seen on:

—The Disney Channel
—USA Network
—Screen Gems Network
—Nick at Nite
—HDNet

And Sony has released several short-run series I never expected them to release. I imagine it would sell many more copies than Walking Tall: The Series, Significant Others, or That's My Mama.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

On the former, my hypothesies:

1: Since "GET A LIFE" was originally created by New World Television, who went out of business and sold the show to TriStar, Rhino already had a deal in place with the former company;
2: Different people ran Sony's TV division back in the day, and were more willing to sublicense. Remember, that disc came out long before TV on DVD was the hot commodity it is today, so back then to have someone want to handle a failed sitcom was seen as a goldmine and not a nuisance;

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Each studio has a group of people who have little or no connection to any TV series. They are business people who look at numbers for a show and see if it is commercially viable to sell as a DVD set. Most likely, Square Pegs is not up on the list to make money, but the biggest factor has to be the music. I think the music on one hand is critical to the period of this show, but if it is the hold up, like Wonder Years, then it might be needed to substitute music.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
And it's currently airing on the DejaView channel,in Canada,which is where I saw the episode I mentioned.I think the fact that Square Pegs only ran for one season works in its favor.One release and it's done with.There aren't more seasons that Sony will have to try to clear the rights for the music.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
Sony has missed the boat on this several times, but I think they should seriously consider releasing this in the spring, to tie in with the Sex And The City movie, which will be high-profile for Sarah Jessica Parker. There's only one season, so what risk is there really to take? The show is a cult classic, beloved to many 80's kids, and there's also the popularity of Sarah Jessica Parker to lure in fans of her later work to check it out. Anyone know anything about this?

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
It's certainly a fondly remembered show although I seriously doubt it would get put out just because of the SJP connection. Plus I'm guessing this show would have a lot of music clearance problems. Perhaps that's what's holding it up. And I wouldn't want the music changed since it such a part of the 80's culture.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm through with trying to guess Sony's modus operandi. I'm guessing that TV on DVD is effectively dead to them now that Seinfeld and King of Queens are done and Married with Children will probably done by next year. They just threw too many shows to the wall to see if they'd stick without thinking through a strategy for releases or content presentation.

If we see Barney Miller season 3 and/or Party of Five season 4, I'll eat my words.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks