What's new

John from Cincinnati - Season 1 (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm gonna check it out tomorrow so I can see it in HD. Going solely off the commercials, it seems a little too odd for its own good. That being said, I'm hoping for the best since it's David Milch.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread for this show so people could vow to never watch it because it got rid of Deadwood. :)

CharlesD

Screenwriter
They canceled Deadwood for that?

I think the "Season One" in the thread title is superfluous.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yeah. A big part of the country has no relation at all with surfing, and this show did nothing to clue me in as to anything that was meant by any of the catchphrases.

The characters seemed very rigid and basic archetypes that were pretty surface level. I'll give it another ep or two, and we'll see. Maybe it's just that surfing doesn't interest me.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread for this show so people could vow to never watch it because it got rid of Deadwood."

Ive already said that in multiple other threads:). I didnt and wont watch it but came in here to see what was being said about it.

"I think the "Season One" in the thread title is superfluous."
:laugh: That good huh?

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
It's no Deadwood, that's for sure. But I love all things surfing so I will watch it. It was very odd with the Dad floating and the John weirdness.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
Well Jim Beaver says, "It's strange, and I promise it takes a couple of episodes to get going, but stick with it," so I guess I'll stick with it at least through episode three.

TwoKings

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
I heard nothing about this show today after the premiere...it was all complaining about the Sopranos finale and in hindsight, it was not a good idea to debut a new show behind the Sopranos finale...

I tried to love the show, especially since I am a Ed O'Niell fan and want him to succeed, but this show was a damn mess. I doubt I will watch past next week and will only have my TV tuned to it as I wait for Entourage.

This makes the cancellation of DEADWOOD even more bitter...especially now that I hear Milch planned to leave Deadwood, but still have it continue on for a few more seasons....now I will cry into my beer as I watch season 3 on DVD tomorrow.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm in the minority but I thought this show was quite good. It's pretty damn weird but that's what I liked about it. It was like the strangest moments of Twin Peaks expanded into an entire hour. Most of the characters were unlikable and seemed like they should be in a minimum security psychiatric ward but I even liked that. It's a shame that alot of Deadwood fans will refuse to give this show a shot because it's got Milch's dialogue (and I don't mean just saying 'fuck' and 'cocksucker' alot) all over it.

That being said, I see this appealing to almost no one and it will probably be the first HBO drama to get cancelled after one season.

phil-w

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in it for the levitation (and the HD) without that, I probably wouldn't be interested. Although Rebecca de Morney, is still hot... even as a grandmother. :)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I enjoyed it enough to keep watching. Probably had more of a 'Six Feet Under' vibe to it than a 'Deadwood' vibe, but the Milch dialog was certainly there. I found the John character interesting, but I'm not sure how I feel about the levitation stuff (and the fact that no one seemed all that freaked out about it). I didn't know much about it going in, so I wasn't expecting a "supernatural" aspect.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I watched again last night. John has to be the most annoying main character in a show that I can recall ever seeing. The other main characters do not seem to very appealing or interesting to me at all. Some of the other minor characters show promise (the Vietnam vet, the retired Cop, the hotel manager) but the retired surfer & his wife, the junkie son and the boy so far hold no interest to me.

The "Milchian" dialog is there, but just seems wrong coming from these characters. Its what he gave us in Deadwood but watered down and out of place. Deadwood was set in another time and given that time's propensity for flowery language it seemed to fit to me. Hearing it come from someone stacking paper rolls in modern supermarket doesn't work as well.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I liked it enough to keep watching it, it didn't grab me like deadwood did, but hopefully it will last long enough to build upon itself. I agree with Travis, this show appeals to almost nobody, but hopefully it does.

You can't go into this show with the mindset of "It's no Deadwood" etc., b/c few shows are, but this show might have something to it.

John is something special, don't know what or whohe is, but he is not from around here, he has infinant pockets and can surf out of the gate?

I love the new hotel owner, wtf was he doing puting the gun in his mouth? LOL.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I liked it too. The supernatural stuff and the overall weirdness is enough of a hook for me to keep watching. I hope we get at least a season out of it.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Is one of these guys Swearengen reincarnated?? The writers are still having Deadwood writing hangovers. Nobody...not even in Venice...cusses THAT much. Bring back the Gem!

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
Maybe it's because I knew what to expect, but I thought this episode was a lot better than the first.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I had watched this episode earlier this week and I agree that it was better than the first episode (and I liked the first episode). The ending was great. They'll have to start to explain what happened to some degree but I like the idea of there being explanation beyond there was a miracle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks