-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

John from Cincinnati - Season 1

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
150 replies to this topic

#1 of 151 seanOhara

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted June 10 2007 - 03:37 PM

So it's Kyle XY with drugs and foul language?
My Blog
Les Miserables Volume 1 with my reading of "Four and Four"
Librivox Short Story Collection 34 with my reading of Jack London's "War"

#2 of 151 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,704 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 10 2007 - 03:39 PM

I'm gonna check it out tomorrow so I can see it in HD. Going solely off the commercials, it seems a little too odd for its own good. That being said, I'm hoping for the best since it's David Milch.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread for this show so people could vow to never watch it because it got rid of Deadwood. Posted Image

#3 of 151 CharlesD

CharlesD

Screenwriter

• 1,495 posts

Posted June 10 2007 - 05:13 PM

They canceled Deadwood for that?

I think the "Season One" in the thread title is superfluous.

#4 of 151 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted June 11 2007 - 12:44 AM

Yeah. A big part of the country has no relation at all with surfing, and this show did nothing to clue me in as to anything that was meant by any of the catchphrases.

The characters seemed very rigid and basic archetypes that were pretty surface level. I'll give it another ep or two, and we'll see. Maybe it's just that surfing doesn't interest me.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#5 of 151 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted June 11 2007 - 12:52 AM

"I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread for this show so people could vow to never watch it because it got rid of Deadwood."

Ive already said that in multiple other threadsPosted Image. I didnt and wont watch it but came in here to see what was being said about it.

"I think the "Season One" in the thread title is superfluous."
Posted Image That good huh?

#6 of 151 MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,503 posts

Posted June 11 2007 - 01:58 AM

It's no Deadwood, that's for sure. But I love all things surfing so I will watch it. It was very odd with the Dad floating and the John weirdness.
"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#7 of 151 seanOhara

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted June 11 2007 - 06:42 AM

Well Jim Beaver says, "It's strange, and I promise it takes a couple of episodes to get going, but stick with it," so I guess I'll stick with it at least through episode three.
My Blog

#8 of 151 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,704 posts

Posted June 11 2007 - 07:52 AM

Episode 2 is up on On Demand already.

#9 of 151 TwoKings

TwoKings

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted June 11 2007 - 12:47 PM

I heard nothing about this show today after the premiere...it was all complaining about the Sopranos finale and in hindsight, it was not a good idea to debut a new show behind the Sopranos finale...

I tried to love the show, especially since I am a Ed O'Niell fan and want him to succeed, but this show was a damn mess. I doubt I will watch past next week and will only have my TV tuned to it as I wait for Entourage.

This makes the cancellation of DEADWOOD even more bitter...especially now that I hear Milch planned to leave Deadwood, but still have it continue on for a few more seasons....now I will cry into my beer as I watch season 3 on DVD tomorrow.

#10 of 151 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,704 posts

Posted June 11 2007 - 03:06 PM

I'm in the minority but I thought this show was quite good. It's pretty damn weird but that's what I liked about it. It was like the strangest moments of Twin Peaks expanded into an entire hour. Most of the characters were unlikable and seemed like they should be in a minimum security psychiatric ward but I even liked that. It's a shame that alot of Deadwood fans will refuse to give this show a shot because it's got Milch's dialogue (and I don't mean just saying 'fuck' and 'cocksucker' alot) all over it.

That being said, I see this appealing to almost no one and it will probably be the first HBO drama to get cancelled after one season.

#11 of 151 phil-w

phil-w

Stunt Coordinator

• 195 posts

Posted June 11 2007 - 03:45 PM

I'm in it for the levitation (and the HD) without that, I probably wouldn't be interested. Although Rebecca de Morney, is still hot... even as a grandmother. Posted Image

#12 of 151 Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted June 11 2007 - 04:34 PM

I enjoyed it enough to keep watching. Probably had more of a 'Six Feet Under' vibe to it than a 'Deadwood' vibe, but the Milch dialog was certainly there. I found the John character interesting, but I'm not sure how I feel about the levitation stuff (and the fact that no one seemed all that freaked out about it). I didn't know much about it going in, so I wasn't expecting a "supernatural" aspect.

#13 of 151 CharlesD

CharlesD

Screenwriter

• 1,495 posts

Posted June 12 2007 - 01:36 AM

I watched again last night. John has to be the most annoying main character in a show that I can recall ever seeing. The other main characters do not seem to very appealing or interesting to me at all. Some of the other minor characters show promise (the Vietnam vet, the retired Cop, the hotel manager) but the retired surfer & his wife, the junkie son and the boy so far hold no interest to me.

The "Milchian" dialog is there, but just seems wrong coming from these characters. Its what he gave us in Deadwood but watered down and out of place. Deadwood was set in another time and given that time's propensity for flowery language it seemed to fit to me. Hearing it come from someone stacking paper rolls in modern supermarket doesn't work as well.

#14 of 151 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,704 posts

Posted June 12 2007 - 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesD
The "Milchian" dialog is there, but just seems wrong coming from these characters.
I agree but, for me, that adds to the weird vibe of the show that I'm digging. No one talks (or acts) the way these characters do- it's like most of the characters are pod people. Posted Image

#15 of 151 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Screenwriter

• 1,581 posts

Posted June 12 2007 - 12:29 PM

I liked it enough to keep watching it, it didn't grab me like deadwood did, but hopefully it will last long enough to build upon itself. I agree with Travis, this show appeals to almost nobody, but hopefully it does.

You can't go into this show with the mindset of "It's no Deadwood" etc., b/c few shows are, but this show might have something to it.

John is something special, don't know what or whohe is, but he is not from around here, he has infinant pockets and can surf out of the gate?

I love the new hotel owner, wtf was he doing puting the gun in his mouth? LOL.
I have seen Larry David in action, and that man is an animal, and he has to be stopped.

#16 of 151 Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted June 13 2007 - 08:10 AM

I liked it too. The supernatural stuff and the overall weirdness is enough of a hook for me to keep watching. I hope we get at least a season out of it.

#17 of 151 Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,487 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 13 2007 - 08:24 AM

Is one of these guys Swearengen reincarnated?? The writers are still having Deadwood writing hangovers. Nobody...not even in Venice...cusses THAT much. Bring back the Gem!

#18 of 151 Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky

Supporting Actor

• 832 posts

Posted June 13 2007 - 08:47 AM

Quote:
Is one of these guys Swearengen reincarnated?? The writers are still having Deadwood writing hangovers. Nobody...not even in Venice...cusses THAT much. Bring back the Gem!
Makes you wonder how the cops on NYPD Blue would have spoken if the show were on HBO...

#19 of 151 seanOhara

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted June 17 2007 - 03:09 PM

Maybe it's because I knew what to expect, but I thought this episode was a lot better than the first.
My Blog

#20 of 151 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,704 posts

Posted June 17 2007 - 03:28 PM

I had watched this episode earlier this week and I agree that it was better than the first episode (and I liked the first episode). The ending was great. They'll have to start to explain what happened to some degree but I like the idea of there being explanation beyond there was a miracle.

Forum Nav Content I Follow