Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Five favorite TV shows of all time?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
86 replies to this topic

#1 of 87 Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted June 08 2007 - 08:05 AM

I guess I mean the shows or series that meant the most to you, had the most influence on you, etc. Stuff you can't miss, can't wait to watch, or just makes you laugh! Here are mine in no particular order.

1. The Simpsons (Though it's had its ups and downs, this show changed the face of television)
2. The Twilight Zone (Blew my mind as a kid, still skews my view of the world!)
3. NFL Football (This might be cheating since it's on many different networks, but what the heck, the NFL is a great American institution)
4. America's Funniest Home Videos (I know it's not cool to admit it..but I can't stop watching this show!)
5. World Poker Tour (This show introduced me to a whole world that I am still fascinated with and can participate in.)
"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink

#2 of 87 Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,812 posts

Posted June 08 2007 - 11:46 AM

There is no way I could boil it down to 5!

So here are the first 5 that pop into my head...

Star Trek (The show that turned me into a Trekker for life)

Babylon 5 (It showed me you could do a really big SF story with a beginning, middle and end... and had quite a few "jump outta my seat" moments)

Cheers (Loved the Sam and Diane years and is probably the only comedy I recorded every episode of)

Twilight Zone (Serling was my hero!)

The Honeymooners (Still remember watching the reruns on PIX at around midnight and trying to not wake my whole family with my laughter!)

#3 of 87 Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted June 08 2007 - 11:53 AM

VERY tough to pick just 5, but I'll give it a shot(in no particular order):

1. The Sopranos
2. 24
3. Seinfeld
4. The Shield
5. Cheers
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#4 of 87 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,649 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted June 08 2007 - 11:56 AM

Here's mine and they're better than all over yours. Posted Image

Star Trek
(own S1 & S3 box, rest in 2-eps DVD)
Monty Python's Flying Circus (box set, owned)
Mystery Science Theater 3000 (various official, non-official and personally taped versions, looking to get all eventually in the best condition possible)
Red Dwarf (8 season/series of 2-DVD sets)
Twilight Zone (most on VHS, very few on DVD, will be buying the whole set very soon)

Trek optimism and realistic look at a possible future (plus some really cool monsters and strange looking planets) has always been close to my heart

Monty Python is comedy from a group of guys who must've slid out of their mum's performing a comedy routine that made the doctors and nurses go hysterical.

MST3K is so good it made the unwatchable not only watchable, but watchable over and over and over again.

Red Dwarf is almost Star Trek meets MST3K meets Monty Python. Hee!

Twilight Zone. Same here with the skewed look at the world....blew my mind and continues to do so. Its influence is all over the place.
Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#5 of 87 Joe S

Joe S

Stunt Coordinator

• 212 posts

Posted June 08 2007 - 01:47 PM

What comes to mind real quick:

1. The Outer Limits - 1960s original series
2. Star Trek
3. The X-Files
4. Babylon-5
5. Six Feet Under

#6 of 87 Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,200 posts

Posted June 08 2007 - 01:51 PM

Here are some of my Favorates and the reason why.

Thunderbirds First Sci-Fi Show I ever saw. These guys were doing their thing 2 years before "That other Sci-Fi Show came on, - The one with that wierd Alien with the Pointy Ears!" Posted Image

Hawaii Five-O This Cop Show RULES! I'm so glad it's finally becoming available on DVD!

Walker, Texas Ranger Another Outstanding Cop Show, I like watching Norris wipe the floor with the bad guys face!

The Wild, Wild West Good Lighthearted Fare, Part Western, Part Sci Fi, All Fun!

Get Smart! ALL TIME FAVORATE Comedy!

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 33,704( 733 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,379  :biggrin:  Serial Chapters - 1,102 :B)

#7 of 87 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted June 08 2007 - 01:56 PM

1. Deadwood
2. Star Trek Deep Space Nine
3. The Sopranos (The first 4 seasons)
4. Millennium
5. Monty Pythons Flying Circus

Others
Futurama, Benny Hill, The Honeymooners,Married With Children (The first 5 seasons anyway),The Odd Couple, Beavis & Butthead, The Simpsons,Star Trek TNG & TOS,The Wire,Batman The Animated Series,The X-Files( Havent seen S7-9)

#8 of 87 Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted June 08 2007 - 02:10 PM

No particular order:

1) Quantum Leap (loved the 'The Leap Home' episode)
2) Voyagers! (coming to DVD July 17!!)
3) Seinfeld (possibly the funniest show ever)
4) American Idol (guilty pleasure) Posted Image
5) Still Standing (damn funny show that never seemed to get much attention)

#9 of 87 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted June 08 2007 - 02:45 PM

It's very hard for me to come up with five, especially since 3 would be tightly vying for the 5 spot. But in no particular order:

Sopranos People go off on "down season" here and there, but even at moments where I felt it "missed" Sopranos was better on those days then most shows ever achieve.

The Outer Limits - Old & New I always thought of this like "Asimov" magazine turned into an hour short. Both the old series and new series were involving, original and kept me entertained.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine I am a trek fan, but out of all the series, none hold up to repeat viewing like Deep Space Nine. DS9's story line was creative, original, and both dark and hopeful - a rare combination that made it so effective.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Maybe one of the most creative, original shows I ever watched, and still love. Taking old, bad films and recycling them. Whether it was Santa Claus Vs. the Martians, Fugitive Alien (I&II), Gamera or a horror films, MST3k had so many levels: obvious jokes that kids get, inside references to real fans, and creative, deep insights into what's wrong with the film (some shorts are prime examples.. see "Home Economics")

I have a few other shows vying for the last spot that I can't chose between:

Dexter - If Dexter can have a second season as spectacular as the first, this will be in tough contention for one of the best. The first season was so well acted, so creatively directed that it was the first TV since the first season of Sopranos that had me wired to the seat for every episode. Carnivale Original. Creepy. Best music of any series ever. Quantum Leap Fun, interesting creative science fiction that had infinite possibilities. Dean Stockwell & Scott Bakula were excellent.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#10 of 87 RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted June 08 2007 - 03:00 PM

Current Shows:

1. The Simpsons
2. Lost
3. South Park
4. Family Guy
5. Prison Break

Shows I've discovered SINCE they were cancelled that I now LOVE:

1. Cheers
2. Fraiser
3. Upright Citizen's Brigade
4. SCTV
5. Looney Tunes

Shows I loved from the gitgo that have not been on the lists above:

1. Monday Night Raw
2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
3. Mork and Mindy
4. Saturday Night Live
5. Chapelle's Show

I'll post this and 30 seconds later I'll slap my head because I forgot something. Posted Image

ry

#11 of 87 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,467 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 08 2007 - 03:13 PM

In alphabetical order:

The Simpsons
The Sopranos
The Twilight Zone
The X-Files

Other shows that I love:
Twin Peaks
Seinfeld
Deadwood
Lost
Futurama
Millennium
Curb Your Enthusiasm
The Shield
Arrested Development
Mystery Science Theater 3000

EDIT: Added more that I forgot. And like Ryan, I'm sure there's more that I'll remember soon. Posted Image

#12 of 87 streeter

streeter

Screenwriter

• 1,388 posts

Posted June 08 2007 - 03:27 PM

Saturday Night Live
Happy Days
The Sopranos
St. Elsewhere
The Simpsons
Nothing Lost Forever: The Films of Tom Schiller
"I'll tell you why... 'cause I'm a dancer."

home page / dvds

#13 of 87 Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted June 08 2007 - 03:33 PM

1-I Love Lucy
2-The Honeymooners
3-Star Trek
4-MST3K
5-Monty Python's Flying Circus
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#14 of 87 BrianW

BrianW

Screenwriter

• 2,552 posts

Posted June 08 2007 - 03:42 PM

Babylon 5 - Elevated serial dramas to a new level and gave other creatives the courage to tell a story with a beginning, a middle, and an ending.

Twilight Zone - (original) Attracted excellent writers with good stories to tell. Not many clunker episodes, and a disproportionately great number of gems.

The Wild Wild West - With its modern spy-story-telling set during the Grant administration, this is surely something Joss Wheadon would have done had he been in the business back then. Creative, fun, thought-provoking, mind-bending even, and always with something up its sleeve.

Futurama - The most consistently brilliant show -- parody or otherwise -- ever. Period.

The Dick Van Dyke Show - Set the bar for quality comedy. Consistently funny without a single (not one!) clunker episode, this show was what other comedies aspired to be.
-Brian
Come, Rubidia. Let's blow this epoch.

#15 of 87 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Screenwriter

• 1,581 posts

Posted June 08 2007 - 05:08 PM

1. Seinfeld - First show I started to stay home to watch.
2. The Wire - Greatest show ever IMO.
3. The Cosby Show - just good stuff.
4. Deadwood - Exceptional show
5. ?

Street Time, 21 Jump Street, Cheers, Quantum Leap, ST TNG, Wonder Years, China Beach, were all great also.
I have seen Larry David in action, and that man is an animal, and he has to be stopped.

#16 of 87 Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,178 posts

Posted June 08 2007 - 05:20 PM

OK, Here's mine ...

Star Trek - This was the first TV show that seemed as though it was "Too Good For TV" --especially during its first two seasons. Many of the episodes played more like "mini SCI-FI summer movies" than episodic TV. (Please keep in mind that I was fortunate enough to have viewed this series during its original network run. Believe me when I tell you that in the late 60's nothing on TV could touch it.)

Columbo - The murder mystery movie with a twist: We've already viewed the murder, now how the heck is Columbo going to be able to unravel enough clues to be able to capture the murderer? As Columbo himself once stated: "Most premeditated murders are committed by amateurs. They may be top professionals in their respective fields, but they're still amateurs when it comes to committing murder. I'm a professional detective. If I do my job, the murderer has no chance." The cat-and-mouse game between Columbo and his prey is almost always highly entertaining. Not to mention incredibly unique.

Frasier - Probably the best "spinoff" show ever!! An intelligent, witty, comedy with almost consistently good writing aided by a fantastic cast of supporting characters. And the show really holds up well when viewed on DVD.

Maverick - James Garner's Western series is a "Shoot from the Quip" delight. Many of the episodes featuring Garner could be described as a "Comedy/Satire/Adventure/Western". And if you were looking for a more traditional Western--but with an adult flare--the Jack Kelly episodes often delivered the goods there as well.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine/ The Adventures of Brisco County Jr (tie) - Deep Space Nine was the first truly linear Star Trek series; and featured outstanding production values and a top notch cast of characters. Throw in the most consistent writing for a Star Trek series ever and you have the formula for outstanding entertainment. Brisco County Jr could best be described as a Science Fiction/Comedy/Adventure series with a Western facade. It's undoubtedly the best one season series ever produced for episodic TV.
----------------------------
Honorable mentions:
Law and Order, Stargate, Farscape, Battlestar Galactica (new series), M*A*S*H
Joseph
---------------

#17 of 87 Carl Miller

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

• 1,461 posts

Posted June 09 2007 - 04:32 AM

No particular order:

Hill Street Blues
The Odd Couple
Seinfeld
Sopranos
The Shield
Carl

#18 of 87 Brian^K

Brian^K

Supporting Actor

• 681 posts

Posted June 09 2007 - 05:50 AM

Picking just five is impossible.

1. Babylon 5
2. Hill Street Blues
3. M*A*S*H
4. Northern Exposure
5. The Simpsons

Others: Quantum Leap, St. Elsewhere, The Wonder Years, Star Trek: The Next Generation, China Beach, Mad About You, LA Law.

For show currently on television (excluding The Simpsons):

1. Heroes
2. Bones
3. Boston Legal
4. Numb3rs
5. Lost

#19 of 87 nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted June 09 2007 - 06:09 AM

Babylon 5
Futurama
Coupling (UK)
Red Dwarf
South Park

Honorable mention: The Simpsons, Qunatum Leap, The Office

#20 of 87 john harshman

john harshman

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted June 09 2007 - 06:53 AM

1. six feet under
2. twin peaks
3. arrested development
4. alias
5. black adder

honorable mention
1.sopranos(minus season 6 its dead to me)
2.gilmore girls
3.firefly
4.boomtown
5.tru calling

current shows
shield
BGG
entourage
HEROES