Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Someone talk me out of replacing my Paradigm Studio 60s!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 BrentSP

BrentSP

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted June 08 2007 - 02:14 AM

I'm looking at changing my front stage which consist of Paradigm Ref studio 60 v1 and LCR 470 v1. I bought them back in January of 1999 so I've had them for a while but I've been very pleased with them and I still am. I'm just getting board with them and would like to try something different.

B&W DM604
First time I listened to some B&Ws sometime in 1996 was the DM 602 s1 and my whole body froze in awe while listening. I was so amazed of the life like music coming out of these things, Its something I'll always remember. So I love floorstanders........don't know why but I do. I enjoy listening to music without the subwoofer maybe thats why. Well my local dealer said the 604 are now discontinued but he does have two pairs of floor models left. $1158 for the pair (I assume that was not including tax, forgot to ask). Anyways I'm really thinking hard about buying these but still not sure.

Aperion Audio
Intimus 633-T are the ones I'm interested. 30 day money back guarentee free shipping to and from and they're 1000 bucks for the pair. Seems reasonable, but I know nothing about them and would love to see what other owners think.

Swan Diva 6.2
Not sure about these. I hear bad and good about them and the slow shipping has got me wondering.

Or maybe I should use this money to upgrade my TV instead.........

#2 of 10 Greg Gable

Greg Gable

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted June 08 2007 - 03:25 AM

Upgrade your TV; If you like the way the digms sound why would you change them?
Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Yamaha RX-V659
Paradigm Studio 40 V.4 up front
Paradigm Studio CC-570
Paradigm Servo-15Sonance Symphony in-ceiling surrounds

#3 of 10 Ennsio

Ennsio

Second Unit

• 264 posts

Posted June 08 2007 - 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentSP
I'm looking at changing my front stage which consist of Paradigm Ref studio 60 v1 and LCR 470 v1. I bought them back in January of 1999 so I've had them for a while but I've been very pleased with them and I still am. I'm just getting board with them and would like to try something different.

Bored with speakers? What would you like them to do, jump around and dance? Posted Image

Seriously though, maybe you just need to get some new music or movies to hear from them to revive your interest in them. Or you could give them to me if you don't want them Posted Image

#4 of 10 Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter

• 1,131 posts

Posted June 08 2007 - 04:24 AM

A good friend of mine once told me, the cheapest upgrade to your system is to purchase new music! In any case, here are some suggestions to add some new life to your existing speakers..

- purchase new music!
- invest in a very musical cd player such as a Rega Apollo or Naim CD5i. You'd be amazed what a great source can do for your system
- invest in separates (pre-amp and poweramp) or an integrated amp, to drive your front speakers. Rotel, NAD, Cambridge Audio, Outlaw Audio, Arcam can all meet your budget
- invest in an outboard DAC, to improve the fidelity from all of your sources
- experiment with speaker placement and subwoofer placement, and purchase room treatments

etc etc

#5 of 10 BrentSP

BrentSP

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted June 08 2007 - 04:29 AM

Well I just bought a Marantz SR8500 and Marantz DVD/SACD DV6500. I do not have a dedicated CD source though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alon Goldberg
A good friend of mine once told me, the cheapest upgrade to your system is to purchase new music! In any case, here are some suggestions to add some new life to your existing speakers..

- purchase new music!
- invest in a very musical cd player such as a Rega Apollo or Naim CD5i. You'd be amazed what a great source can do for your system
- invest in separates (pre-amp and poweramp) or an integrated amp, to drive your front speakers. Rotel, NAD, Cambridge Audio, Outlaw Audio, Arcam can all meet your budget
- invest in an outboard DAC, to improve the fidelity from all of your sources
- experiment with speaker placement and subwoofer placement, and purchase room treatments

etc etc

#6 of 10 Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter

• 1,131 posts

Posted June 08 2007 - 04:35 AM

Quote:
Well I just bought a Marantz SR8500 and Marantz DVD/SACD DV6500. I do not have a dedicated CD source though.
I highly recommend the Marantz CD5001, this would compliment your system very well and is reasonably priced.

With the remainder of your budget you could consider a couple of Outlaw 2200 monoblocks to drive your front speakers via the pre-outs on your 8500 Posted Image

#7 of 10 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,521 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted June 08 2007 - 07:02 AM

Or a couple of Emotiva BPA-1s which are on sale right now. Bridged they provide 150w @ 8 Ohms. A buck a watt.

Me personally, I was never 100% satisfied with Paradigm in my setup, so I moved away from them. The only ones I've liked from them recently are the Signatures Posted Image
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#8 of 10 BrentSP

BrentSP

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted June 08 2007 - 07:08 AM

If I were to replace my digms I would sell them. How much would Studio 60v.1 in black ash be worth? They're still in excellent cosmetic and smoke free condition.

#9 of 10 Ennsio

Ennsio

Second Unit

• 264 posts

Posted June 08 2007 - 07:23 AM

Quote:
If I were to replace my digms I would sell them.

I know. Just wishful thinking on my part.

#10 of 10 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,521 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted June 08 2007 - 09:52 AM

Check ebay and Audiogon.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Back to Speakers, Subwoofers & Headphones

Forum Nav Content I Follow