What's new

Someone talk me out of replacing my Paradigm Studio 60s!! (1 Viewer)

BrentSP

Agent
Real Name
Brent Pearcy
I'm looking at changing my front stage which consist of Paradigm Ref studio 60 v1 and LCR 470 v1. I bought them back in January of 1999 so I've had them for a while but I've been very pleased with them and I still am. I'm just getting board with them and would like to try something different.

B&W DM604
First time I listened to some B&Ws sometime in 1996 was the DM 602 s1 and my whole body froze in awe while listening. I was so amazed of the life like music coming out of these things, Its something I'll always remember. So I love floorstanders........don't know why but I do. I enjoy listening to music without the subwoofer maybe thats why. Well my local dealer said the 604 are now discontinued but he does have two pairs of floor models left. $1158 for the pair (I assume that was not including tax, forgot to ask). Anyways I'm really thinking hard about buying these but still not sure.

Aperion Audio
Intimus 633-T are the ones I'm interested. 30 day money back guarentee free shipping to and from and they're 1000 bucks for the pair. Seems reasonable, but I know nothing about them and would love to see what other owners think.

Swan Diva 6.2
Not sure about these. I hear bad and good about them and the slow shipping has got me wondering.

Or maybe I should use this money to upgrade my TV instead.........

Greg Gable

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
Upgrade your TV; If you like the way the digms sound why would you change them?

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris

Bored with speakers? What would you like them to do, jump around and dance? ;)

Seriously though, maybe you just need to get some new music or movies to hear from them to revive your interest in them. Or you could give them to me if you don't want them :)

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
A good friend of mine once told me, the cheapest upgrade to your system is to purchase new music! In any case, here are some suggestions to add some new life to your existing speakers..

- purchase new music!
- invest in a very musical cd player such as a Rega Apollo or Naim CD5i. You'd be amazed what a great source can do for your system
- invest in separates (pre-amp and poweramp) or an integrated amp, to drive your front speakers. Rotel, NAD, Cambridge Audio, Outlaw Audio, Arcam can all meet your budget
- invest in an outboard DAC, to improve the fidelity from all of your sources
- experiment with speaker placement and subwoofer placement, and purchase room treatments

etc etc

BrentSP

Agent
Real Name
Brent Pearcy
Well I just bought a Marantz SR8500 and Marantz DVD/SACD DV6500. I do not have a dedicated CD source though.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
I highly recommend the Marantz CD5001, this would compliment your system very well and is reasonably priced.

With the remainder of your budget you could consider a couple of Outlaw 2200 monoblocks to drive your front speakers via the pre-outs on your 8500 ;)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Or a couple of Emotiva BPA-1s which are on sale right now. Bridged they provide 150w @ 8 Ohms. A buck a watt.

Me personally, I was never 100% satisfied with Paradigm in my setup, so I moved away from them. The only ones I've liked from them recently are the Signatures :)

BrentSP

Agent
Real Name
Brent Pearcy
If I were to replace my digms I would sell them. How much would Studio 60v.1 in black ash be worth? They're still in excellent cosmetic and smoke free condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks