What's new

Put my money where my mouth is...purchased an HD-A2 (1 Viewer)

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
I have finally made the leap to HD. I couldn't take it any longer and jumped and purchased a Toshiba HD-A2.

I've always sided with HDDVD, and have always been very vocal of my Toshiba support. Earlier in the year I started to sway towards BluRay because of some of the releases and will probably pick up a Bluray player later in the year but for now I am going with HDDVD.

I decided to speak with my wallet. I want HDDVD to win the format war but was doing noting but talking, so regardless now I can say I am at least supporting my preferred format by purchasing a player and continue to purchase media.

I am incredibly pleased with the HD-A2. My first purchase was MI3. The level of detail is incredible and is most evident in the texture of peoples faces. Lawrence Fishburn has some rough skin I'll tell you. Sorry Larry. But the thing that stood out the most was the colours. So natural and vibrant. I noticed it most in the quick scene in the 7/11 at the begining of the film. The scene looked very authentic...very much like a real 7/11, and I have been in many late at night. Just the overall colours of the candy, the fridges with pop, the wall colours. Very real.

One thing i can say to perspective HDDVD buyers (or Bluray for that matter) is that the differences between SD and HD are not that noticable upon first viewing. It take a couple of views and some SD watching in between to really open your eyes. I mean, watch a scene from an HDDVD, then switch over to SDDVD or Digicable/Satelite, or anything HD, it doesn't have to be the same thing, then go back to the HDDVD...that is when you will start to notice the level of detail. It's almost like your eyes have to refocus or adjust.

So int he end I am backing HDDVD, and will continue to support them until the end of the format war.

Kudos to Toshiba.

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
HAHA

One of the first reasons I didn't want HiDef was because of Laurence!

Congrats on joining the HD DVD experience

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ryan,

Welcome to the HD-DVD club. I am so happy to hear that
you are pleased with your purchase. I am still impressed
by the more "film like" image that these high definition formats
provide.

I think you also hit a point by saying the switch might not
be as evident going from sDVD to HD-DVD, that is, until you
do it in reverse. :)

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
Ron,

The time I noticed it most was watching Backdraft, which looks great for it's age, and then I switched over to a few things like LOTR, Finding Nemo, Any of the new Star Wars. While these have all been praised in the past for excellent picture quality, they now look dull and murky. Nemo was the most suprising. It was bright and beautiful, full of vibrant life...until HDDVD.

damn you HDDVD (and Bluray for that matter, since I am not a crazy fanboy) for bringing us HD film is all it's glory. Can't wait for '300' in July.

Just imagine doing a switch from analog cable to HDDVD.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
I guess I'm still too new with my HD-D2 (picked it up a couple weeks back). I do notice when I go back to SD, but I've not spent enough time yet with HD material I guess to really be shocked. I've only had the chance to watch two movies start to finish so far. But I plan to dig into my Matrix collection this weekend. :D

But I can say what I've seen so far (King Kong & Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) have looked outstanding! That's on a Samsung 56" 1080p set.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
Mark,

The reason you probably haven't noticed it is the same reason I didn't really notice it at first, because I was watching the movie, not the picture quality.

I definitely said in my head..."what the hell is the big deal, what is everyone talking about" when I watched the first few minutes of Mission 3. But after a few watches of certain scenes and coming back to watch it after I just after having on some SD material is when I really noticed the difference. The HD material has a much more film like look to it. Similar to what you would see in the theater.

I am using an Optoma HD70 720p projector onto a 92" Draper Luma screen. So I am not even getting the full blow 1080(i/p) picture, and it still look fabulous. Hopefully next year I can upgrade to a new 1080p projector, if the prices come down and probably go up to a 106" screen.

kisha12

Auditioning
Real Name
kishan
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif
Thanx For Post
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I've had the A2 for about 10 days now and I'm extremely pleased with it. It is a bit slow to load but ultimately it is the presentation that matters...and it does a terrific job at that.

I have to say I absolutely love being format neutral!

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Ryan. Sorry for the late welcome, but WELCOME. You are certainly in for some fine times.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
Thanks very much, and the good times are already occuring.

So my new collection of HDDVD is underway. I now have the following:

Mission Impossible 3
Superman the Movie
Backdraft
Batman Begins
Black Rain
The Perfect Storm
Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift.

I am trying to concentrate my purchases on New Releases or movies I did not own on DVD. Only The Perfect Storm (free) and Batman Begins did I own prior.

New releases are my focal point. Basically anything in the last 2 years say. I'm not to worried about the Back to the Futures, Indiana Jones, Die Hards, Forrest Gumps, Bravehearts...etc.

The only prior releases that I am really interested, and we don't even know if they will ever come out on HDDVD are Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Gladiator, Pixar's releases, Star Wars III (cause the originals are fine on DVD, and the first 2 prequils I could care less about outside DVD).

So my focus is one recently released or new releases. I think this format war lives and dies with new releases.

Releases I am looking forward to are:

Blood Diamond
Heros
Disturbia
TMNT
Blades of Glory
Zodiac

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
The one thing about old releases though is that they can look very good.

I watched the first half of Black Rain last night. A movie I saw way back in the pay on The Movie Network (or back then it was First Choice in Canada).

But I watched it last night and was truly suprised at how good it looked. It's not like this is a high profile release, I am I got it for free with my purchase.

But the image is very clean and the level of detail was startling, especially Michael Douglas face, and his mullet. :D

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
You will find that with many older releases. Grand Prix from the 60's, 'Adventures of Robin Hood' form 1938 in a glorious restored technicolor release, 'Casablanca' from 1942, another wonderfully restored classic, 'The Searchers' from 1958 with John Wayne in one of his strongest performances and a near perfect restoration from Waners. The list goes on.

While I expect new theatrical releases to look stunning on High Def, it takes me back when I see a 50 or 60 year old film look as if it just hit the theaters.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I'd add the Brando Mutiny on the Bounty to that list as well as the import Elephant Man.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

I'm curious about The Perfect Storm. That's one I'd like to have but have read about it being a "bobbed" transfer. I probably should go do a search on this one, but I wonder if it's really as bad as what I remember reading many months ago.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Welcome Ryan.You're in good company Here.I also recently purchased My HD-DVD player.I bought the A20.I love reading posts where people are as excited or even more than I am.This format is AWESOME!Nuff Said.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit

And I started watching the In Movie Experience of Batman Begins last night. great commentary as well. Was not as thurough as MI3 and there were any silent moments, but it definitely changes the "commentary experience".

bur1196

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Burton
Congrats on the purchase! I have been very please with mine so far :)

Manus

Second Unit
Best of luck, Ryan. Dont forget some BD Exclusives and others released elsewhere in the world and usually available at www.xploitedcinema.com eg. T2 ,Underworld Evolution , Rambo First Blood , Running Scared , Brotherhood of the Wolf , The Prestige and The Island (preorder)

Enjoy!

~M~

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I also got the toshiba HD-A2. I must say that I am very pleased with it.. I have a big dvd and HD collection and I still see new detail on the standard dvds. the detail for both is just awesome.. it really blows out both the oppo and the HD add on.. and both are good dvd players.

Jacob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks