-

Photo
- - - - -

Official HTF HD Review: Midnight Run

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,593 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted June 06 2007 - 04:54 PM

http://static.hometh...overs_82876.jpg">

HD DVD Title: Midnight Run
Rated: R
Screen format: 1080P 1.85:1 (VC-1 Compression)
Studio: Universal
First theatrical release: 20 July 1988
Previously released on DVD/BluRay: Multiple anamorphic and full screen DVDs
Director: Martin Brest
Starring: Robert De Niro, Charles Grodin, Yaphet Kotto, John Ashton, Dennis Farina, Joe Pantoliano
Sound Formats: English Dolby Digital Plus 5.1. French Dolby Digital 2.0
Length: 2 Hours 7 Minutes
Subtitles: English, French

Plot: 5/5
Arguably one of the best ‘Buddy’ movies ever made, Midnight Run is the tale of ex cop (and current bounty hunter) Jack Walsh (De Niro) hired by Eddie Moscone’s (Pantoliano) bail bond company to bring in escaped embezzler Jonathan “The Duke” Mardukas (Grodin). Seems the Duke skipped out on his bail for the charges that he embezzled fifteen million dollars from mob boss Jimmy Serrano (Farina). Serrano’s got his entire gang out ready to plug Mardukas dead if he shows his face in public before he can turn state’s evidence. While Jack easily scoops up the Duke in NYC expecting to fly him home to LA in an easy “Midnight Run”, he doesn’t know that the Duke is deathly afraid to fly and they both get kicked off the plane. It will take a trail of trains, autos, and other surprises to get them back in time before the Moscone’s lose their business, and with the Duke avoiding the mob. Complicating matters are hot headed FBI man Alonzo Mosely (Kotto) who is on a mission to get The Duke into custody and the Moscone’s have also sent a second bounty hunter, Marvin Dorfler (Ashton), after Mardukas in case Walsh screws things up.

Besides the above average casting and acting, shockingly crude but hysterical dialogue, sharp direction (Brest had just finished Beverly Hills Cop), and top notch soundtrack from famed composer Danny Elfman, Midnight run manages to somehow also cram in both great action/chase sequences and characters we actually come to identify with and root for, despite their flaws. It’s simply a highly quotable, very funny and memorable picture. For those reasons it’s definitely a candidate for my top ten movies list, and I was very much looking forward to checking it out in HD.

Sound Quality: 4/5
Musically there are few movies that can top Midnight Run. Elfman completely changed gears from anything he had done before or since, crafting a big band style rock/blues fusion that was both soulful and toe tapping from start to finish. In many ways it’s reminiscent of the soundtrack from The Blues Brothers, minus all of the guest appearances. The best part of it is that it manages to be as playful and humorous as the characters themselves. Featuring a big brass section, there’s a tremendous drive and vibrancy that just melds with the story and action to elevate the film even higher. While positionally most of the music stays in the front sound stage, there are occasions where the whole room is rocking and rolling. It rises subtly with the action and then fades to the front of the room as more dialogue heavy scenes return. Sound effects are mostly confined to the front sound stage but also peak out into the rears mostly during car crashes and gun shots. On the bass end, there’s a lot to like from the music but not a whole lot of action in the effects side. This is easily the best I’ve heard this film sound, and the DVD was one of my favorites for the music alone, so I’ve had some experience with it.

Speaking of the sounds, one thing to be absolutely aware of is that I can count on one hand the number of movies I’ve seen that have more vulgarity than Midnight Run, and few of them do it with such conviction. It’s almost like the F bomb was made for this film!

One other thing, check out how great the main title sounds in the menu! Someone had a lot of fun messing around with it and making it even more 3-D. Sadly the whole movie isn’t like this, but it is accurate to what was seen theatrically. You can’t have it both ways!

Visual Quality: 2.5/5
As happy as I am with the audio presentation, I have a few complaints about the video side of things. I noticed quite a bit of edge enhancement especially around very contrasty foreground elements. The halos were quite distracting and this is one of the few times I can say that on a high def transfer. Grain was mostly well controlled but there were a few occasions where it seemed to be in excess of the film stock. It’s possible that there simply was wildly different stocks used for these segments but that didn’t seem likely. Color rendition was fairly good, and the splash of Las Vegas is always a treat, but there wasn’t anything particularly awesome even in these scenes. Sharpness varied from shot to shot quite a bit, in many instances De Niro looked absolutely crisp and detailed and in others it seemed a bit gummy around him. On the other hand, the outdoor scenes were just great, with nicely rendered color schemes, low noise, and real detail. Overall things just weren’t very consistent with this transfer. It was a very clean transfer tho, there were a few nitpicky pops and scratches but once past the old Universal main leader there were very few instances.

Extra Features: 1.5/5
Just a recycled making of featurette and the theatrical trailer. Hardly even worth discussing but at least there’s something.

Overall: 3/5 (not an average)
Another absolute classic gets an uneven handling in this catalogue release. The audio is as good or better than it ever was, yet we get a lot of highs and lows on the video side and an absolute bottom barrel selection of extras. It’s a real shame, as I know a lot of HD collectors were looking forward to this release, as it’s simply one of those films that get better every time you watch it and many folks watch it at least once a year. With the slow trickle on HD we’ll take what we can get, but here’s to hoping that a more feature rich version is due later in the HD DVD life cycle.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#2 of 30 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,660 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 05:29 PM

Your video score is a bit lower than other's I've seen but this may also be according to display size too? Still, it IS a great buddy film that has some real genuine laughs and touching moments. My copy is still in shrinkwrap but plan on this weekend to give it a spin.

#3 of 30 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,593 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 09:43 PM

I try not to read other reviews till mine are done, will have a look around!

#4 of 30 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,634 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 11:42 PM

A film with two of my favourite actors: DeNiro and Grodin.

I have yet to see a less than strong performance of Charles Grodin in any movie.

Thanks for this review. I'm afraid I will order it even with the less than stellar video track. Posted Image

Cees

#5 of 30 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted June 07 2007 - 12:09 AM

Ouch - I'm afraid to unwrap my copy now. EE and halos on the video? I was hoping in the world of HD we were past these problems.
Death before Streaming!

#6 of 30 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted June 07 2007 - 05:01 AM

Some movies rise above their PQ ratings and Midnight Run is one of those movies. A must-buy for me.
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#7 of 30 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted June 07 2007 - 05:30 AM

It's a "must-buy" for me too, although I just watched the DVD a few months ago. I'll probably pick it up next time there's a "dry spell" of titles to buy (Having just got HD DVD, I have a lot of catching up to do). It's funny how this film has held up so well over the years, considering it wasn't a box office smash.

#8 of 30 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted June 07 2007 - 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Adkins
It's a "must-buy" for me too, although I just watched the DVD a few months ago. I'll probably pick it up next time there's a "dry spell" of titles to buy (Having just got HD DVD, I have a lot of catching up to do). It's funny how this film has held up so well over the years, considering it wasn't a box office smash.

Yeah this is one of those movies I would watch on super 8!

"THESE THINGS GO DOWN!!!"

BTW it cost 30 million to make and made 80 million world wide. Thats a modest hit. It probably did better on video than in the theater.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#9 of 30 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted June 07 2007 - 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce
Yeah this is one of those movies I would watch on super 8!

"THESE THINGS GO DOWN!!!"

BTW it cost 30 million to make and made 80 million world wide. Thats a modest hit. It probably did better on video than in the theater.

Doug
You guys have convinced me. I will have to pick up this release to see what every on is talking about. Thanks to all for the input.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#10 of 30 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted June 07 2007 - 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppltd
You guys have convinced me. I will have to pick up this release to see what every on is talking about. Thanks to all for the input.

Have you never seen Midnight Run???? Posted Image

#11 of 30 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted June 07 2007 - 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce
Have you never seen Midnight Run???? Posted Image
No. I am not sure why this passed me by when it hit the theaters years ago, but I missed it.

The only plus is, when I buy it in HD, I won't be double dipping.Posted Image

#12 of 30 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted June 07 2007 - 09:14 AM

I just went to Amazon and 'One Click' ordered it. As it is in stock, I should have it next week.

#13 of 30 OFFLINE   David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted June 07 2007 - 09:18 AM

I thought that the PQ was very good, though obviously not a title with which to show off your system. Does that surprise anyone, seriously? Given the particulars of the production, I think that any short comings are related to the source material, not the transfer. I wasn't expecting 'Serenity', so I'm not unhappy.

And so goes the eternal slogg...at least so far as HD PQ is concerned. The new threshold we've passed is going to show every wart and imperfection; if that isn't come to terms with, a lot of people are going to be needlessly disappointed by the high-def era.

There are going to be many fine (and classic) pictures that get panned by innumerable online "critics" (nobody in particular), who don't seem to understand the principles of film production, with regard to any given title...nor will they understand that many "unfavorable" transfers are going to represent the best that some pictures will ever look...short of being blessed with an unlimited time-table and restoration budget...to obtain results that, in many cases would be only marginally better.

What I'm trying to say is...I wish that more online reviewers would start grading transfers based on what's possible or practical, rather than on some gold standard that amounts to comparing apples to oranges.

Perhaps much of what I'm saying doesn't apply to this particular review. My level of frustration tends to rise with the release of most "older" films. Educating the vast percentage of the public regarding these issues, will be a lot tougher than the quest to help people understand the "black bars".

Unfortunately, we need more Robert Harris's expressing their opinions, but they're in short supply and they don't work cheap.

A penny for your thoughts. Am I over the edge?

#14 of 30 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted June 07 2007 - 09:34 AM

You're in for a treat, Thomas.
One of the first times DeNiro tried being funny and he's excellent.
Grodin always good too.

Posted Image

#15 of 30 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted June 07 2007 - 09:38 AM

I am looking forward to it. Thanks again all.

#16 of 30 OFFLINE   Yumbo

Yumbo

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts

Posted June 07 2007 - 11:12 AM

It's a CLASSIC!

#17 of 30 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted June 07 2007 - 12:02 PM

Now lets not build it up too much or it might be a let down.
Posted Image

#18 of 30 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,660 posts

Posted June 07 2007 - 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack
You're in for a treat, Thomas.
One of the first times DeNiro tried being funny and he's excellent.
Grodin always good too.

Posted Image

Agreed. Posted Image

#19 of 30 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,593 posts

Posted June 07 2007 - 03:03 PM

You cannot possibly be let down by the content of this movie!

As for the PQ issues, I dont think the stuff is source related but I'd be happy to be proven wrong. HD shouldnt have halos and there clearly are quite a few in my viewing, and I'm generally very forgiving of them when they were on DVD.... It was just a shock to see em in HF...

#20 of 30 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,593 posts

Posted June 07 2007 - 03:09 PM

Peter Bracke noted some Edge Enhancement but said it wasnt as bad as The Jerk. I didnt see ANY on the jerk =) Weird!

http://hddvd.highdef...idnightrun.html

Forum Nav Content I Follow