Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Lowest ratings EVER

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
66 replies to this topic

#1 of 67 DanielCo

DanielCo

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 06:24 AM

USA Today reported that NBC had the worst weekly ratings in at least 16 years here: http://www.usatoday.....67842887_x.htm

Congrats to NBC who has week by week and year by year tried to make us forget Hill Street Blues, Cosby, Cheers and Seinfeld and apparently has succeeded.

The Saturday Stanley Cup broadcast managed a 1.1! That's informercial territory.

Trying to keep pace, Katie Couric managed to chase away enough viewers to feed CBS advertisers the lowest evening news ratings in 20 years.

I guess it's just a matter of time before NBC changes their letters to LAO and just run Law and Order 24/7.

#2 of 67 AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 07:01 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the third time NBC has broken that record in 2007 alone?

#3 of 67 DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,438 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCo
The Saturday Stanley Cup broadcast managed a 1.1! That's informercial territory.

Wow, that just makes me sad and points out how badly hockey hurt themselves. I know it never got "great" ratings, but a 1.1 is ridiculous for a great sport like hockey. Of course, I didn't watch it either. I'm still disappointed Detroit got knocked out.

Quote:
Trying to keep pace, Katie Couric managed to chase away enough viewers to feed CBS advertisers the lowest evening news ratings in 20 years.

I actually liked Couric on Today, but I have not been impressed with her on the evening news.

#4 of 67 Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 08:04 AM

If it weren't for The Office and Conan, I would never watch a single thing on NBC.
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#5 of 67 Derek Miner

Derek Miner

Screenwriter

• 1,668 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCo
I guess it's just a matter of time before NBC changes their letters to LAO and just run Law and Order 24/7.
Not like that would really help. The original Law & Order was on the chopping block for the new season and the reprieve was given under the order that costs be brought down. The life of at least one other show in the franchise was in question as well.
= Derek Miner =
Co-founder, Sunscreen Film Festival

#6 of 67 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,009 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted June 06 2007 - 08:46 AM

Come back Supertrain, all is forgiven.

Seriously, I don't think I've watched this network voluntarily since the last episode of Cheers.

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#7 of 67 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,467 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 06 2007 - 08:48 AM

I'll probably start watching The Office this fall (I just got into it via the DVDs) but currently I only watch Studio 60 on NBC. And while that show certainly wasn't a hit, it does better than 1.1 million viewers. Posted Image

#8 of 67 Jonny P

Jonny P

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 08:51 AM

NBC has two of the best comedies we've seen on network television in years ("The Office" and "30 Rock") and they've been unable to truly capitalize on them...yet.

(I think "The Office" is brilliant, but I didn't come to the game until last summer. I am glad I figured out what I was missing.)

In year's past, networks like NBC used to have "marathons" of shows during the summer (comedy blocks during the 90s) on each night. I think that could go a long way towards helping them boost the ratings for some of their returning fall lineup.

"Seinfeld" faced cancellation during its initial seasons. It's finale in 1998 drew 70 some million.

#9 of 67 LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 09:35 AM

Ironically, I watch NBC more than any other network. Make me a Nielsen family.

Heroes
Studio 60
Law & Order
Law & Order: CI
Law & Order: SVU
Medium
The Office
30 Rock
Scrubs
My Name Is Earl
Reines

CBS I only watched
How I Met Your Mother
The New Adventures of Old Christine
The Class
NCIS
Numb3rs

FOX
Bones
Drive

CW
Smallville
Supernatural

ABC
Nothing, not one single show (I'll watch the Lost DVDs)

and various shows on TNT, FX, BBC America, Sci Fi, & USA.

#10 of 67 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted June 06 2007 - 09:39 AM

Since you watch that much NBC anyway, why not add Friday Night Lights?

#11 of 67 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,507 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted June 06 2007 - 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyC
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the third time NBC has broken that record in 2007 alone?
Yep, more like in just the past month. They just keep sinking...and sinking...and sinking. Soon, the CW (yay "Supernatural" !!) will be drawing more viewers than NBC.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#12 of 67 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,050 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted June 06 2007 - 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJ
Wow, that just makes me sad and points out how badly hockey hurt themselves. I know it never got "great" ratings, but a 1.1 is ridiculous for a great sport like hockey. Of course, I didn't watch it either. I'm still disappointed Detroit got knocked out.
Definitely. I haven't watched it since the strike, either. Mainly because my Boston apartment doesn't get Versus/OLN, where 90% of the games are played. I think the inability for OTA viewers to follow the season on TV really hurt the Stanley Cup.
Blame the NHL, not NBC.
Quote:
I actually liked Couric on Today, but I have not been impressed with her on the evening news.
She indulges all of the worst trends in news today. She lost me with her first broadcast; any bonafide news program that considers celebrity baby pictures among the most important stories of the day does not merit my time. Getting rid of Bob Schieffer[sic] was the worst move CBS could have made. When I am around for the evening news, I like Brian Williams. His top stories always feel like they should be top stories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryDavenport
Ironically, I watch NBC more than any other network.
Me too. I think it's got some of the smartest programs on the air.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H
I can't speak for Larry, but I found the film version such a bore I was never hooked by the TV promos.

#13 of 67 Jonny P

Jonny P

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 11:06 AM

I've never in my life known a "Nielsen Household."

Do they still use set-top meters and diaries?

I do recall one time (10 years ago) getting called by a phone survey company asking for the person in the house below age 30 and being asked what I watched during different timeslots. It took like 1/2 hour to answer all of the questions and included network programming, local news, syndicated hours on TV, etc.

I'd like to know how Nielsen is doing their data collection.

Here was my TiVo season pass list last season:

NBC
The Office
My Name is Earl
30 Rock
Studio 60
Las Vegas
The Apprentice

CBS
The Amazing Race
NCIS
Jericho
How I Met Your Mother

ABC
Lost

Fox
Prison Break

#14 of 67 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,625 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 12:54 PM

Re: Friday Night Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt
I can't speak for Larry, but I found the film version such a bore I was never hooked by the TV promos.

It's a really good show, and the summer is the perfect time to catch up on it (Sunday nights).
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#15 of 67 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 02:56 PM

Yep, I'm going to catch up on it.

But I enjoy L&O (though I wish less "ripped from the headlines") but Heroes was fantastic, some of the best TV on.

And I really enjoyed "30 Rock"

Next year, the channel4 show "IT Crowd" comes to NBC. Not sure if it'll work the same, but the british show is one of the funniest things I've seen. Posted Image "Have you tried turning it off then on again?"

Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#16 of 67 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted June 06 2007 - 03:11 PM

Quote:

I don't want to build up unnecessary expectations, but it's about the best show I've ever watched. Nah, that isn't setting the bar too high. Posted Image It stood out on the network even in the season of Heroes.

#17 of 67 Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 03:14 PM

While the mentality of today's programmers is surely to blame for these results (as well as way too many shows being ended before their time Posted Image ), I can't help but think it's really just one more sign that the traditional paradigm of media distribution (read: Film, Television, Music, & Radio) is dead.

We blinked, the world changed, and there isn't a single media group who have managed to keep up with it, or perhaps even understand it.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#18 of 67 Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 03:34 PM

Quote:

The movie held my attention but I never gave it a thought after I finished watching it.

The show, on the other hand, is pretty damn amazing.

Definitely give it a shot.

#19 of 67 LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted June 07 2007 - 03:42 AM

Quote:

The snarky answer is, I didn't like jocks and cheerleaders in high school, why would I want to watch them on TV? (unless Jason Vorhees is stabbing them repeatedly).

But really, I already plan on watching the DVD. As I have said before, as a non-Nielsen family, I don't feel compelled to watch everything just to keep it on the air. What commercials I saw for FNL, I liked, but I confess I didn't have faith NBC would let it last a season let alone renew it.

#20 of 67 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted June 07 2007 - 03:58 AM

Quote:
I don't want to build up unnecessary expectations, but it's about the best show I've ever watched. Nah, that isn't setting the bar too high. Posted Image It stood out on the network even in the season of Heroes.
Damn. That good huh? Would someone who knows nothing about american football enjoy this? Despite the high rating (8.2), teh first couple of pages of IMDB comments are overwhelmingly negative...........

--
H

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow