Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan; 25th Anniversary!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 of 39 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,537 posts

Posted June 05 2007 - 09:24 AM

Can you believe that it's been 25 years since Star Trek 2 The Wrath of Khan was released, June 4th, 1982?

There's been discussion on the Trek sites, since there's a lot of Trek fans here, there might be interest to discuss it.

Some comment that it's considered the best of the TOS films. It did start the even verses odd film theory. It is regarded as the one that saved the Franchise and started the ball rolling for all sequels and spin off shows. Nicholas Meyer and Harve Bennett is credited for this and rightfully deserves a lot of credit.

It is a total contrast to Star Trek The Motion Picture. While that was a cerebral film and lacked some of the better human touches of the series with a very 2001 feel, Star Trek 2 took the crew on with gusto and was a very human centric film. The needs of the many theme follows onto other Trek productions.

Meyer takes Trek to the militaristic side while Roddenberry's original vision of Trek was not militaristic at all, being the humanist he was. So he had some reservations for Trek 2. Meyer saw Star Trek as Horatio Hornblower in space, which is essentially what Roddenberry created. They just differ in how they treated the details. For me aesthetically, I don’t like some of the choices Meyer made for Trek 2. He wanted more blinky lights and added rental computer panels that looked so cheap. Star Trek The Motion Picture was totally new and all specially created for the film.

The use of Khan was a nice nod to the series and the action was what a lot of fans wanted to see. Though I think it’s been too oft imitated now. This is a fear for the new film that JJ Abrams is now developing, but that's for the other thread to ponder.

After 25 years, I still like the film a lot, but I watch it only on occasion, as the power of the ending will be diminished from too often viewings. But I think Star Trek The Motion Picture, especially the Directors Cut has proven to be an equally classic film, but for totally different reasons. This was a very pleasant film for me that one summer of 1982. I have a fond memory of it.

#2 of 39 OFFLINE   DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted June 05 2007 - 09:54 AM

I think Nicholas Meyer was the best thing to ever happen to Star Trek being involved in the three best films II, IV and VI of the original cast.

#3 of 39 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted June 05 2007 - 10:01 AM

Guess that means its was also 25 years ago this summer that i graduated from High School! Saw The Wrath of Kahn on opening day, and its still my favorite trek movie. Nick Meyer was a good director, but i am glad he was reined in a bit. Cant say i liked Trek VI that much.

#4 of 39 OFFLINE   Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Screenwriter

• 1,461 posts
  • LocationLake Worth, Florida

Posted June 05 2007 - 11:42 AM

There was a time where the STWOK was my favorite but over time I find it just doesn't hold up and comes off as a cheap 'B' movie. I agree that Meyer leaned toward the militaristic and I never liked that at all. However the commraderie from the series was more prevalent than in the motion picture. I never felt that Harve "The Powers of Mathew Star" Bennet and Meyer "saved" the franchise as it never really needed saving (IMO) but did provide a popcorn movie very accessible to the public.

With the release of the director's cut of the Motion Picture, I loved the Motion Picture even more and find it the most enjoyable to watch to this day. More epic and more of a literature science fiction story than any of the others following.

That said I still enjoy all of them.

#5 of 39 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted June 05 2007 - 12:44 PM

I think Star Trek II's shift of focus to character and classic adventure story telling was probably the first glimpse of the dieing sci-fi element in trek.

Hard to believe it's practically been all down hill since then. Posted Image
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#6 of 39 OFFLINE   Jonesy

Jonesy

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted June 05 2007 - 03:37 PM

FYI Star Trek II is playing Back on the Big Screen at the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica on June 17. Nicholas Meyer will be there for a discussion.

Jonesy
Movie Theatre Reviews

#7 of 39 OFFLINE   Jonesy

Jonesy

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted June 05 2007 - 03:46 PM

(They're also showing TRON (70MM), CAT PEOPLE, THE THING, THE DARK CRYSTAL, POLTERGEIST and CREEPSHOW.)

#8 of 39 OFFLINE   Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor

• 591 posts

Posted June 05 2007 - 05:38 PM

I've heard many people say this movie looks "dated" now or "doesn't hold up" or was only ever revered because "Star Trek" was still a hot property when it came out. I've heard the suggestion that now people can see this for what it really is - just a mediocre B-movie, and I could not disagree more with all of these ideas. I was a fan of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" as a child, and I only discovered the original series of movies about three years ago, and in the past three years I've seen this movie several times and, if anything, I appreciate it more every time I watch it.

I just watched it again a few weeks ago, and I was shocked by how intelligent, entertaining, touching, and well-written it was. The movie has a beautiful philosophy to it and some truly deep ideas and lines (I can't believe that the profound words "how we face death is at least as important as how we face life" originated in a "Star Trek" movie) and on top of that, it's also exciting in its action scenes and uses humour very effectively.

It is one of the best pure adventure movies I've ever seen, with a villian that is great because he manages to be funny, over-the-top, and menacing/threatening enough to be taken seriously all at the same time, endearing characters, and a moving ending. This movie makes me mad that "Star Trek" is generally regarded as some "pathetic nerd/geek bullshit", because I really believe this movie deserves to be respected and appreciated more than it is when people perceive it (along with its sequels) as nothing more than a shallow formula-driven franchise flick. Mostly because of nostalgia, "Star Trek: First Contact" is my favourite Star Trek movie, but after my last viewing of "Wrath Of Khan" I've finally realized why people call it the best Star Trek movie, and I now agree (objectively) that none surpass it.

#9 of 39 OFFLINE   MikeRS

MikeRS

Screenwriter

• 1,326 posts

Posted June 05 2007 - 06:59 PM

It rocks.

- Shatner and Montalban are a titanic clash of scenery chewing. They're so entertaining. I love that they never actually share a scene in the same room together. Their chemistry shines through regardless.

-Spock's heroics, death - as well as Kirk's eulogy - make me tear up big time.

-Meyer is a natural storyteller in this. The narrative feels pretty effortless.

#10 of 39 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,064 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted June 05 2007 - 11:27 PM

It wouldn't be a Star Trek II thread without the obligatory....

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!

Posted Image

Gotta agree that this is the best of the Star Trek movies.

#11 of 39 OFFLINE   Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 01:14 AM

Agree with the love. Saw this one in the theater with my dad (I was 8) and I was a bit terrified of some of the scenes, but I absolutely loved it, and it was what really drew me into the Star Trek world.

If it hadn't been for WOK, I never would have been interested in the followup movies or TNG, etc.

#12 of 39 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,681 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRS
It rocks.

- Shatner and Montalban are a titanic clash of scenery chewing. They're so entertaining. I love that they never actually share a scene in the same room together. Their chemistry shines through regardless.

-Spock's heroics, death - as well as Kirk's eulogy - make me tear up big time.

-Meyer is a natural storyteller in this. The narrative feels pretty effortless.

Agreed. It's the Empire Strikes Back for Star Trek. Posted Image

#13 of 39 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy
(They're also showing TRON (70MM), CAT PEOPLE, THE THING, THE DARK CRYSTAL, POLTERGEIST and CREEPSHOW.)

VERY cool!

Just watched TRON recently after reading the AICN "1982" stories.
Held up better than I thought it would.
Around here, Berkeley, they simply show Videos (either DVDs or some HD version) on a DLP PJ in the theaters for revival nights and they look awful.

#14 of 39 OFFLINE   nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted June 06 2007 - 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Glover
Agreed. It's the Empire Strikes Back for Star Trek. Posted Image

So which one is The Phantom Menace?

#15 of 39 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,064 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted June 06 2007 - 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolesrule

The last one.

#16 of 39 OFFLINE   Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolesrule

Didn't you mean which one is Return of the Jedi? Posted Image

#17 of 39 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,438 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted June 06 2007 - 06:29 AM

"Khaaaaaaaaaaannn!"

The best of the even numbered Treks and my 2nd favorite Trek movie. Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#18 of 39 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 06:35 AM

whats the first?

#19 of 39 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,438 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted June 06 2007 - 06:49 AM

Quote:
whats the first?

Dave, my favorite has always been the one no one seems to like - Star Trek The Motionless Picture (1979) Posted Image

I saw all the Treks at the cinema except franchise-killer Star Trek Nemesis. My favorite of the Next Generation films is First Contact. But if I had to choose one adventure I'm afraid it'll be that long slow journey inside V'Ger. Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#20 of 39 OFFLINE   Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 07:57 AM

Steve, I like the first film too, but I do prefer the Director's Cut. It's probably my third favorite Trek film behind II and VI.

The only Trek films I missed in the theater were I and III. I managed to catch all the others.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow