Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Disc rot rears its head on Blu-Ray format (The Prestige)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#21 of 40 OFFLINE   Jim-J

Jim-J

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX
I have few Universal DVDs that no longer play due to disc rot (Apollo 13, Dragonheart, Dante's Peak). HD DVD is just as susceptible to issues, scratch damage (ask anyone with Netflix)...and I haven't heard anyone boiling their BDs to play.

Does boiling really help with rot??
"Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding"--Ra's Al Ghul

#22 of 40 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,790 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 02:45 AM

The boiling comment is a snark reference to the problems that some folks have experienced with Children of Men due to incorrect bonding on the HD-DVD release as posted over at AVS, and has absolutely nothing to do with rot, or the occurrence of problems on some copies of The Prestige on Bd.

- Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#23 of 40 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,076 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 06 2007 - 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd H
Cees, I have no problem with someone posting news of this nature. My problem is that, looking at his posting history, these are the only types of posts Pete ever makes. He's either posting anti-Blu-ray posts or pro-HD-DVD posts. It sounds like an agenda, almost like he is on a mission to "Fight Blu-ray!" (hint, hint).

As the recent Bill Hunt thread proved, most of our members here are above this kind of behavior. It does this forum no favors when he have people from either side of this silly format war spreading propaganda for their format of choice. It makes this place a little too much like that other "audio video science" forum. Just my humble opinion of course.

BTW, checked my Departed BD. No BD herpes. Posted Image
Unlike the HTF Administrators, you do have the option of placing certain members on your "Ignore" list. Personally, I usually discount the comments expressed by those having such signatures because it's so easy to do so in such cases. It's just not worth being bother by such expressions!

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#24 of 40 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Matthews
How's that, Brett?

By the way, your Fan Club President badge is in the mail. Posted Image

Good to see you. But I'm a little surprised you were able to find this thread. Posted Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Matthews
You mean those BR threads started by HD DVD advocates specifically for the purpose of snarking over a recent development? Could you point me to those threads?

#25 of 40 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,065 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted June 06 2007 - 03:33 AM

Already done.

#26 of 40 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,076 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 06 2007 - 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Kittel
The boiling comment is a snark reference to the problems that some folks have experienced with Children of Men due to incorrect bonding on the HD-DVD release as posted over at AVS, and has absolutely nothing to do with rot, or the occurrence of problems on some copies of The Prestige on Bd.

- Walter.
Walter,
Another case of consider the source because it's just not worth it.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#27 of 40 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees Alons
Thanks to the originator of this thread for bringing it up!

Cees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees Alons
Brett, what about yours? When you played 'Children of Men' on your XBox 360, did you notice any of the problems that made you genuinely worry and start this thread?

Cees

That's beautiful. Posted Image

#28 of 40 OFFLINE   Adam_R

Adam_R

Second Unit

• 395 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 03:39 AM

Posted Image
Guess what...

#29 of 40 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,065 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted June 06 2007 - 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_R
Posted Image

Nice! Posted Image

#30 of 40 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,668 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 03:50 AM

Quote:
That's beautiful. Posted Image
Ah, so you read it alright! Posted Image

Yes, I always assume the best of intentions first.

Cees

#31 of 40 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX
and I haven't heard anyone boiling their BDs to play.
I am not sure I know of any one who would attempt to boil a disk when a simple wipe with a soft cloth cleans the disk up just fine. Maybe a bit of an exaggeration Peter?
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#32 of 40 OFFLINE   Norman Matthews

Norman Matthews

Second Unit

• 258 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 04:15 AM

Brett, perhaps you missed the key word "snarking"? There's not just a bit of difference between Pete's first post in this thread and yours in the thread you're referencing.

But, that's all I'll say on that matter. If it continues any further, this is bound to be an unproductive conversation in every sense, and I've committed myself to trying my best to no longer participate in such discussions here. I only responded to you to begin with in this thread in the spirit of jest and rib-poking in which I'm sure your first comment to me was meant.

#33 of 40 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 04:23 AM

Quote:
I am not sure I know of any one who would attempt to boil a disk when a simple wipe with a soft cloth cleans the disk up just fine. Maybe a bit of an exaggeration Peter?

Speak for yourself... Personally, I find a little Santerian black magic goes a long way, and I sacrifice a live chicken before my component rack to the gods of BD Java Menus and HD DVD Combos. Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#34 of 40 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
Speak for yourself... Personally, I find a little Santerian black magic goes a long way, and I sacrifice a live chicken before my component rack to the gods of BD Java Menus and HD DVD Combos. Posted Image
I got to try that next time I cannot get a disk to work.Posted Image

#35 of 40 OFFLINE   Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppltd
You must not know what he's referring to. This is an old-time solution dating back to CDs. It's not for cleaning, the disc but solving problems caused by glue residues in the discs I believe. Lately, some have had success getting new, unplayable HD DVDs to play by boiling them.

I wonder if that would have helped my college pal out. He had a number of DVDs that became unplayable at the second layer on his PS2. Then again, I believe the PS2 was far more sensitive than most DVD players.

Back to topic, I forgot to check my Prestige copy out yesterday after reading about the disc rot problems on AVS. Lots of photos in that thread if anyone wants to venture over there. A good idea if you don't know what disc rot is/looks like.
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#36 of 40 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted June 06 2007 - 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete T C
On a related note, while any new optical format may be prone to disc rot, hopefully HD DVD will be less susceptible to it since it is based on the proven DVD manufacturing process.
The news of a problem with a title wasnt my issue. Its the little side note that HD DVD would be above this because DVD doesnt have any issues with replication. As we all know all of our formats have had some issue of one kind or another. But i agree, id want to know if more than one person was having a problem with a DVD, Blu-Ray, or HD disc.
I am glad Cees is assuming the best, cause i know ive needed it once or twice. Posted Image

#37 of 40 OFFLINE   Pete T C

Pete T C

Second Unit

• 299 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 07:11 PM

Reports are now coming in from various members on AVS that The Departed on BD and Stranger Than Fiction are popping up with the same disc rot issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_K
With HD-DVD the problems are mainly with the Combo's

And those were fixed with firmware update v1.6 for the HD-A2/XA2/A20, read parameters for a slightly thicker disc needed to be adjusted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Kittel
Some people assume that the handful of Universal titles with this issue are at fault, however it is very possible that the Toshiba HD DVDROM drive was slightly out of spec prior to firmware v1.6 as the gen1 HD DVD players had no problems reading said "problematic" HD DVD Combo COM+TGS Universal discs with their NEC HD DVDROM drives. Universal has a replacement program set up with newly pressed discs, but that may just be goodwill for the HD DVD format given their large role in it. As a parallel, note that prior to firmware v1.5 the Toshiba gen2 players were slightly out of spec in being unable to read HD DVDs authored in "Basic" mode instead of "Enhanced" mode (Two of the Discovery Atlas discs as well as National Geographic Relentless Enemies) - while there were only a few titles authored in this mode, they had major difficulty playing until the gen2 players were brought up to speed in firmware - again, the gen1 players had no issues with these titles, either. Thankfully with the ethernet port for downloads & the free firmware upgrade discs sent out by Toshiba, firmware upgrades have been painless thus far.

Of course, as you note this is unrelated to the incidence of disc rot on BD, and further the affected HD DVD discs now play fine with the latest firmware. The most obvious difference being that no firmware upgrade is going to erase the visible BD rot shown in that AVS thread.
For every shadow, no matter how deep, is threatened by morning light.

#38 of 40 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted June 07 2007 - 12:04 AM

Quote:
And those were fixed with firmware update v1.6 for the HD-A2/XA2/A20, read parameters for a slightly thicker disc needed to be adjusted.

The bonding layer problems apparently were not all fixed by the firmware updates otherwise Universal wouldn't be repressing discs of COM and Good Shepard along with offering a replacement program.

http://www.hometheat....d.php?t=257089

Which reminds me to get around to watching my copy to see if I need it replaced.

Back to the BD topic:
Given the reported problem discs were all manufactured around the same time in Jan/Feb it very well may be an error that happened in replication. Seems awfully quick for "rot" to develop and the fact that there are much older BD's around that have no reported problems.

BTW - are all your BD's free from spots? You sure seem pretty concerned about all this.

Once the problem is identified, if it turns out to be isolated issues such as a bad batch/production run, given your obvious concerns I'm sure you'll be the first back here to post the good news right?

I'm sure you're not here all the way from ahem...AVS just to gleefully post bad news about BD.
Death before Streaming!

#39 of 40 OFFLINE   Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted June 07 2007 - 03:41 AM

My Prestige looks fine. (Something sounded dirty about that.)
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#40 of 40 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted June 07 2007 - 03:42 AM

Posted Image
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant H
My Prestige looks fine. (Something sounded dirty about that.)

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow