What's new

Disc rot rears its head on Blu-Ray format (The Prestige) (1 Viewer)

Pete T C

Second Unit
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=857067

Looks like several copies of "The Prestige" on Blu-Ray are rotting with little specs on the disc, rendering the disc unplayable. Note that most of these users indicate that the discs looked perfectly fine when they first bought them.

On a related note, while any new optical format may be prone to disc rot, hopefully HD DVD will be less susceptible to it since it is based on the proven DVD manufacturing process.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I would tend to think this is more a case of a manufacturing snafu, much like I experienced with COM and The Good Shepard. The bonding on both formats, if not done properly, can cause all types of issues. Hopefully Sony will do as good of a job as Universal did on replacing the disks.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

I have few Universal DVDs that no longer play due to disc rot (Apollo 13, Dragonheart, Dante's Peak). HD DVD is just as susceptible to issues, scratch damage (ask anyone with Netflix)...and I haven't heard anyone boiling their BDs to play.

Both formats will experience these kinds of problems until they are produced in bigger quantities and have more time in actual production. Just as the video transfers & encodings themselves.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Doesnt HD DVD have a problem with the glue being to thick for it to read the other layer on Children of Men and (another title i cant remember). Just because a guy has "Fight Blu Ray" in his title i will give him the beiefit of the doubt. However...
Regular DVD still has its issues too, DVD-18s being one of them. :)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
:laugh: While I appreciate your concern for us Blu-Ray owners no worries, no spots on mine.

With HD-DVD the problems are mainly with the Combo's which uses the same glue 'em together and hope technology as the dreaded DVD-18's which is one reason why I tend to avoid them as much as possible.

So you've gone HD or BD Rick? Good to see you again outside the HTF's netherworld. ;)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Oh no!!!! Six people over at AVS are having problems with their Prestige BD discs!!!! Blu-ray is doomed!!!! Better sell my PS3 and Blu-ray discs before they explode!!!!!

Really, what is the point of this thread? It's obvious Pete is just trying to post any bad BD news as a way to "Fight Blu-ray!" I expect this over at AVS but not here. No gold stars for you Pete. But you did win a consolation prize...a place on my ignore list. Congrats!!!

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Todd, there are members on both sides of the fence that do the same. No reason to single out any particular member.

LarryH

Supporting Actor

So are we supposed to ignore the fact that some people are having troubles with a particular title? Should we also ignore the problems with Children of Men, etc?

Neither of these products is ready for prime-time yet, IMHO, and I am beginning to regret having jumped in as an early-adopter. I had fewer problems with the initial titles and things seem to be getting worse and worse. I certainly could not recommend either of these products to anyone who is not willing to put up with multiple replacements disks, never-ending firmware updates, freeze-ups, incomplete specs. etc. etc. etc. Whew!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I went HD for 2 days. Had trouble with my player, so i took it back. Now i have a Blu Ray player. I only have 1 BD disc, that came with my Sony player, the old 5th Element disc that i guess looked like crap to begin with. I have not even watched it, I dont even like that movie! My SD discs look wonderful on the Sony BD player. They looked great on the Tosh HD player too! I would love to have kept my Tosh HD player, but my gut told me the build quality of the A2 wasnt to my taste, and it locked up when i put HD discs in it. But i may try again...someday.
I posted very little in the HD section, but i hope to change that! :)
Of course i did spend $200 on regular DVDs today!

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd

No worries. I ignore the ones on the other side as well. I'm an equal opportunity ignorer.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

While I question the motives in posting this, I see nothing overtly polarized about his post. If rot's occuring I'd like to know, I'd be less than pleased with a disc rotting in under 1 year.

Plus, IIRC, the same thing went on with DVD and it turned out to be an early manufacturing problem limited to early discs...

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Although that particular photographs look nasty, I would hesitate to call a problem occurring within 2 or 3 three months after specific release of a disc (and one title only!) "rot". More: an isolated production problem.

Most probably a few bad cases, or even a bad batch.

And no need, IMO, to generalize this to all of BD already, or start comparisons with HD DVD. Or look around for a good place in the trenches. :rolleyes:
Please!

Wise reaction, I did the same: with the same result. :emoji_thumbsup:

Cees

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Well Rick you should go watch some BD material so you have something to bicker about here. ;) I can't remember that last time I plunked down $200 on SD. I did pick up the new Fantastic Voyage SE and a couple of Godzilla movies recently :crazy: , made the mistake of watching FV after watching V For Vendetta on HD. Thought I was suffering a stroke due to blurred vision. :eek: When I do watch SD it can't be right after watching something in HD otherwise it's a big letdown.

If you ever want to try HD-DVD again, I'd recommend the Toshiba XA2 as I've had no major problems with mine.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Cees, I have no problem with someone posting news of this nature. My problem is that, looking at his posting history, these are the only types of posts Pete ever makes. He's either posting anti-Blu-ray posts or pro-HD-DVD posts. It sounds like an agenda, almost like he is on a mission to "Fight Blu-ray!" (hint, hint).

As the recent Bill Hunt thread proved, most of our members here are above this kind of behavior. It does this forum no favors when he have people from either side of this silly format war spreading propaganda for their format of choice. It makes this place a little too much like that other "audio video science" forum. Just my humble opinion of course.

BTW, checked my Departed BD. No BD herpes. :)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
That it is. I love my XA2, and am very much looking forward to upgrading my Sammy BD player when the third gen Panny or Piioneer is released, hopefully before years end. BTW, this is not meant as a slam on my Sammy. It has been a fine player, but it is beginning to show it's age (feature wise).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks