Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Disc rot rears its head on Blu-Ray format (The Prestige)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#1 of 40 OFFLINE   Pete T C

Pete T C

Second Unit

• 299 posts

Posted June 05 2007 - 08:27 AM

http://www.avsforum....ad.php?t=857067

Looks like several copies of "The Prestige" on Blu-Ray are rotting with little specs on the disc, rendering the disc unplayable. Note that most of these users indicate that the discs looked perfectly fine when they first bought them.

On a related note, while any new optical format may be prone to disc rot, hopefully HD DVD will be less susceptible to it since it is based on the proven DVD manufacturing process.
For every shadow, no matter how deep, is threatened by morning light.

#2 of 40 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted June 05 2007 - 09:10 AM

I would tend to think this is more a case of a manufacturing snafu, much like I experienced with COM and The Good Shepard. The bonding on both formats, if not done properly, can cause all types of issues. Hopefully Sony will do as good of a job as Universal did on replacing the disks.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#3 of 40 OFFLINE   PeterTHX

PeterTHX

Screenwriter

• 2,034 posts

Posted June 05 2007 - 09:32 AM

Quote:
hopefully HD DVD will be less susceptible to it since it is based on the proven DVD manufacturing process

I have few Universal DVDs that no longer play due to disc rot (Apollo 13, Dragonheart, Dante's Peak). HD DVD is just as susceptible to issues, scratch damage (ask anyone with Netflix)...and I haven't heard anyone boiling their BDs to play.

Both formats will experience these kinds of problems until they are produced in bigger quantities and have more time in actual production. Just as the video transfers & encodings themselves.

#4 of 40 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted June 05 2007 - 10:09 AM

Doesnt HD DVD have a problem with the glue being to thick for it to read the other layer on Children of Men and (another title i cant remember). Just because a guy has "Fight Blu Ray" in his title i will give him the beiefit of the doubt. However...
Regular DVD still has its issues too, DVD-18s being one of them. Posted Image

#5 of 40 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted June 05 2007 - 10:16 AM

I'm sure Norman and Cees will be here shortly to set things right.

Posted Image

#6 of 40 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,664 posts

Posted June 05 2007 - 11:12 AM

Hope they set it right because BrettB still holds the Snarky Crown, not Pete. Posted Image

#7 of 40 OFFLINE   Norman Matthews

Norman Matthews

Second Unit

• 258 posts

Posted June 05 2007 - 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettB
Ouch. That's gotta hurt.
How's that, Brett?

By the way, your Fan Club President badge is in the mail. Posted Image

#8 of 40 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted June 05 2007 - 12:15 PM

Posted Image While I appreciate your concern for us Blu-Ray owners no worries, no spots on mine.

Quote:

Doesnt HD DVD have a problem with the glue being to thick for it to read the other layer on Children of Men and (another title i cant remember). Just because a guy has "Fight Blu Ray" in his title i will give him the beiefit of the doubt. However...
Regular DVD still has its issues too, DVD-18s being one of them.

With HD-DVD the problems are mainly with the Combo's which uses the same glue 'em together and hope technology as the dreaded DVD-18's which is one reason why I tend to avoid them as much as possible.

So you've gone HD or BD Rick? Good to see you again outside the HTF's netherworld. Posted Image

Death before Streaming!

#9 of 40 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,056 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted June 05 2007 - 12:38 PM

Oh no!!!! Six people over at AVS are having problems with their Prestige BD discs!!!! Blu-ray is doomed!!!! Better sell my PS3 and Blu-ray discs before they explode!!!!!

Really, what is the point of this thread? It's obvious Pete is just trying to post any bad BD news as a way to "Fight Blu-ray!" I expect this over at AVS but not here. No gold stars for you Pete. But you did win a consolation prize...a place on my ignore list. Congrats!!!

#10 of 40 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted June 05 2007 - 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd H
Oh no!!!! Six people over at AVS are having problems with their Prestige BD discs!!!! Blu-ray is doomed!!!! Better sell my PS3 and Blu-ray discs before they explode!!!!!

Really, what is the point of this thread? It's obvious Pete is just trying to post any bad BD news as a way to "Fight Blu-ray!" I expect this over at AVS but not here. No gold stars for you Pete. But you did win a consolation prize...a place on my ignore list. Congrats!!!
Todd, there are members on both sides of the fence that do the same. No reason to single out any particular member.

#11 of 40 OFFLINE   LarryH

LarryH

Supporting Actor

• 552 posts

Posted June 05 2007 - 01:36 PM

Quote:

So are we supposed to ignore the fact that some people are having troubles with a particular title? Should we also ignore the problems with Children of Men, etc?

Neither of these products is ready for prime-time yet, IMHO, and I am beginning to regret having jumped in as an early-adopter. I had fewer problems with the initial titles and things seem to be getting worse and worse. I certainly could not recommend either of these products to anyone who is not willing to put up with multiple replacements disks, never-ending firmware updates, freeze-ups, incomplete specs. etc. etc. etc. Whew!

#12 of 40 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted June 05 2007 - 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_K

So you've gone HD or BD Rick? Good to see you again outside the HTF's netherworld. Posted Image

I went HD for 2 days. Had trouble with my player, so i took it back. Now i have a Blu Ray player. I only have 1 BD disc, that came with my Sony player, the old 5th Element disc that i guess looked like crap to begin with. I have not even watched it, I dont even like that movie! My SD discs look wonderful on the Sony BD player. They looked great on the Tosh HD player too! I would love to have kept my Tosh HD player, but my gut told me the build quality of the A2 wasnt to my taste, and it locked up when i put HD discs in it. But i may try again...someday.
I posted very little in the HD section, but i hope to change that! Posted Image
Of course i did spend $200 on regular DVDs today!

#13 of 40 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,056 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted June 05 2007 - 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppltd
Todd, there are members on both sides of the fence that do the same. No reason to single out any particular member.

No worries. I ignore the ones on the other side as well. I'm an equal opportunity ignorer.

#14 of 40 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted June 05 2007 - 01:53 PM

Quote:
No worries. I ignore the ones on the other side as well. I'm an equal opportunity ignorer.
Posted Image Nice to see such even handed button pushing.Posted Image

#15 of 40 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted June 05 2007 - 03:17 PM

I just finished checking all my BDs, and, thankfully, they are free of the measels. Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#16 of 40 OFFLINE   Ryan-G

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

• 621 posts

Posted June 05 2007 - 07:44 PM

Quote:

While I question the motives in posting this, I see nothing overtly polarized about his post. If rot's occuring I'd like to know, I'd be less than pleased with a disc rotting in under 1 year.

Plus, IIRC, the same thing went on with DVD and it turned out to be an early manufacturing problem limited to early discs...

#17 of 40 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,651 posts

Posted June 05 2007 - 08:29 PM

Although that particular photographs look nasty, I would hesitate to call a problem occurring within 2 or 3 three months after specific release of a disc (and one title only!) "rot". More: an isolated production problem.

Most probably a few bad cases, or even a bad batch.

And no need, IMO, to generalize this to all of BD already, or start comparisons with HD DVD. Or look around for a good place in the trenches. Posted Image
Please!

Quote:
Really, what is the point of this thread?
Of course we need to hear those things. We can check out our own versions and if necessary replace it, or if it looks worse, unite to get a general replacement scheme in order for the title. We always handled problems with particular releases that way on this forum.

Thanks to the originator of this thread for bringing it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
I just finished checking all my BDs, and, thankfully, they are free of the measels. Posted Image
Wise reaction, I did the same: with the same result. Posted Image

Cees

HTF Rules (uhm ... and has Rules)

HTF Mission Statement

#18 of 40 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted June 05 2007 - 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickER
I went HD for 2 days. Had trouble with my player, so i took it back. Now i have a Blu Ray player. I only have 1 BD disc, that came with my Sony player, the old 5th Element disc that i guess looked like crap to begin with. I have not even watched it, I dont even like that movie! My SD discs look wonderful on the Sony BD player. They looked great on the Tosh HD player too! I would love to have kept my Tosh HD player, but my gut told me the build quality of the A2 wasnt to my taste, and it locked up when i put HD discs in it. But i may try again...someday.
I posted very little in the HD section, but i hope to change that! Posted Image
Of course i did spend $200 on regular DVDs today!

Well Rick you should go watch some BD material so you have something to bicker about here. Posted Image I can't remember that last time I plunked down $200 on SD. I did pick up the new Fantastic Voyage SE and a couple of Godzilla movies recently Posted Image , made the mistake of watching FV after watching V For Vendetta on HD. Thought I was suffering a stroke due to blurred vision. Posted Image When I do watch SD it can't be right after watching something in HD otherwise it's a big letdown.

If you ever want to try HD-DVD again, I'd recommend the Toshiba XA2 as I've had no major problems with mine.

Death before Streaming!

#19 of 40 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,056 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted June 06 2007 - 12:34 AM

Cees, I have no problem with someone posting news of this nature. My problem is that, looking at his posting history, these are the only types of posts Pete ever makes. He's either posting anti-Blu-ray posts or pro-HD-DVD posts. It sounds like an agenda, almost like he is on a mission to "Fight Blu-ray!" (hint, hint).

As the recent Bill Hunt thread proved, most of our members here are above this kind of behavior. It does this forum no favors when he have people from either side of this silly format war spreading propaganda for their format of choice. It makes this place a little too much like that other "audio video science" forum. Just my humble opinion of course.

BTW, checked my Departed BD. No BD herpes. Posted Image

#20 of 40 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted June 06 2007 - 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_K
If you ever want to try HD-DVD again, I'd recommend the Toshiba XA2 as I've had no major problems with mine.

That it is. I love my XA2, and am very much looking forward to upgrading my Sammy BD player when the third gen Panny or Piioneer is released, hopefully before years end. BTW, this is not meant as a slam on my Sammy. It has been a fine player, but it is beginning to show it's age (feature wise).

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow