What's new

Proof that J6P has entered the realm of Hi-Def (1 Viewer)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Does it sometimes feel like you are one of the 300 Spartans up against the million or so Persians.:)

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Post 3 is definitely the best. Being a filmmaker - that was simply hilarious.

I've posted it here so all can enjoy (or cower in a corner and cry - you decide.)

Here ya go...

My gf told me that the reason many Sony movies are releasing in Asia the same day as in the West (effectively allowing us to see them sooner here in Asia) is because many Sony movies are shot digitally. By doing this, they remove the middle-man of having to make film copies for each theater. They can quickly and easily get the movie into multiple theaters. She says this is giving Sony an edge over here, and is influencing the local Asian movie-makers to shoot on digital film. Having the movie on a digital theater format allows theaters to add more screens quickly, if the movie is a hit. In "opening day" fights between local movies and Hollywood movies, this is a big advantage, and can decide which film gets more screens and more money-making potential.... so Asian studios are starting to go with digital film, instead of the traditional route.

I thought I heard somewhere that this also makes transfer to BR much easier, cleaner, and it can also be made to fill up the screen more easily because it's shot that way sometimes.

I'm no film expert, but she was telling me all about what she'd heard on the news... this is what I remember.

DEAR LORD - PLEASE LET HD REMAIN A NICHE FORMAT!!!

Cheers,

Jason

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Yeah, that thread really makes me wonder about the demographics of the different formats.

Also, nice to know that Sony has cornered the market on shooting films digitally :)

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
This is a side-effect of having a game system as your format-pusher. They won't want anything older than 1990 and they don't want those dirty black bars. These are folks who haven't been in HT long enough to have been educated on OAR and the like and bought their PS3s primarily for playing Metal Gear Solid 4 and Madden.

I for one welcome their invasion of Blu-Ray.com - most of what I have seen there is Blu-ray fanboys lavishly bashing HD-DVD fanboys on other forums without a hint on irony. It's like what the AVS high def forums have become, only even worse.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I've seen the occasional post like that here too.

Overall, I don't think it's proof that the average person has gotten into HD as it's proof that nerds only interested in techonology and how much the picture 'pops' and that have little interest in film are getting into HD.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
See, I hate to hear people say that HD Optical will never be more than a niche format, and yet, at the same time, there ARE some upsides to that concept.

Manus

Second Unit
As my dear old dad used to say ,
' Jaysus ' :)

Maybe if we stay really quiet and niche-like no-one will know we're here ;)

~M~

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Too funny...great thread. Made me chuckle. My brother once owned a Home Theater store in North Louisiana and this was about 7 years ago. Needless to say, this area wasn't quite ready (and still isnt) for anything HT. Some -shall we say hick- came in asking for that Dawbly Surround Me Sound. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks