What's new

Albums that you'd like to be covered in the "Classic Albums" DVD Series (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
In the other "Classic Albums" thread, some people have commented about which albums they feel should be covered by this series, so for fun let's compile a list of which ones we nominate and why.

Here's my first:

Smashing Pumpkins "Siamese Dream”

Released around the same time as Nirvana’s “Nevermind,” this album seemed to be just the opposite of what was going on in the grunge movement. Whereas “grunge” was more about attitude and energy, SD captured the spirit of 70’s AOR (think Boston, especially since they were such a big influence on Billy Corgan) and spawned several hits (Cherub Rock, Today, Disarm, Rocket), all the while challenging the listener’s ear with some truly otherworldy musical soundscapes.

In my mind, the interviews would be with Billy Corgan, Jimmy Chamberlain and producer Butch Vig (since D’Arcy is MIA and James Iha has moved on to other projects) and oh my, would they have PLENTY of tracks to dissect. Aside from the fact that these songs are excellent and hold up even when stripped of all of the studio effects, I think it’d be a blast to watch Butch and the boys “pull back the curtains” so to speak and uncover the little details that went into the making of this album. I mean, “Soma” in and of itself has been purported to have 40 tracks of guitars. These sonic things, plus the strife going on inside the band (Billy’s severe case of writer’s block, his marriage falling to pieces prior to the making of the album, Jimmy’s building addiction to heroin, James and D’arcy breaking up and the rumor that Billy played most of the guitar & bass parts on his own with Jimmy playing drums) amounts to really some interesting background information that could be explored.

To me, this is one of the greatest albums of modern times (musically and sonically) and I for one would LOVE to see a documentary on it’s making. Also, at this point in time with SP being “reunited,” I think it could provide some publicity for the newly reformed band and be somewhat therapeutic for Mr. Corgan! ;)

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator
My choices:

"Exile on Main Street" (or "Sticky Fingers")- The Rolling Stones
"Purple rain" (or "Sign O the Times") - Prince
'London Calling"- The Clash
"Remain in Light"-Talking Heads
"Freeze frame" J Geils Band
"Layla"- Derek and the Dominoes

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Doobie Brothers: Minute By Minute
Van Halen: 5150
The Police: Regatta De Blanc or Zenyatta Mondatta

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Van Halen: 1984
To hear about the crazy drugs/drinking and the leaving/firing of DLR. To hear how Eddie recorded "Top Jimmy" with a guitar that could have each string panned L/R in the stereo spectrum (created by Steve Ripley). To hear about how "Hot For Teacher" was recorded, from the Harley at the beginning to the noises made during the verses.

Rush: Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures
To hear about the switch from progressive rock to more radio friendly rock. To hear from Terry Brown about how he produced Rush. To hear stories from recording at Le Studio.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

That would be cool! I completely forgot about that panned guitar. I remember reading about that years ago in Guitar World or some other tab magazine.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
All good choices so far. I'd add The Yes Album; maybe Close To The Edge or Tales From Topographic Oceans.

Also Images & Words by Dream Theater.

They've already done Metallica, but I think that Master Of Puppets would still be a great topic.

Clutching At Straws, by Marillion.

Empty Glass, by Pete Townshend.

One of the Ozzy albums with Randy Rhoads.

For something completely out of left field, I nominate Compendium by Mr. So & So. :)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Led Zepplin IV would have been a good choice but so much has been covered by book or documentary that there might not be much more to say. How about Frampton Comes Alive? As to "why?" Might be interesting to hear how a live album is put together. Plus, it is/was the biggest selling live album of all time and some of the songs were arranged differently than the studio versions. And, except for a little success with "Show Me The Way" Frampton was a relative unknown to the masses. The live album shot him to the top.

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
Badfinger - Straight Up or No Dice

There's alot of rumors on the difficult relationship Badfinger had with Todd Rundgren who pulled together the album after George Harrison bailed out to produce the live album from the benefit and film "Concert for Bangladesh" Somehow it probably won't ever be in the series, but it would be nice to have them in the series of "Classic Albums" featured.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I caught another one this weekend, Jimi Hendrix's "Electric Ladyland." Wow, I have always loved his stuff, but never knew anything about this album. I had no idea "Watchtower" and "Voodoo Chile" were off this album. Due to the documentary, I just placed an order for it, "First Rays of the New Rising Sun" and "Band of Gypsys." This doc really shows how he used the studio as another instrument and as a way to bring across his innovative ideas. It really shows just how much the musicians miss him as well.

dberthia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave
Bruce Springsteen: Born in the USA
Pink Floyd: The Wall
Boston
Beach Boys: Pet Sounds
Beach Boys/Brian Wilson: Smile

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Any of the first four Blue Öyster Cult albums. Agents of Fortune would probably be the logical choice, but I love the first three studio albums more.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'd second the BOC albums, Boston (too bad Brad Delp wouldn't be involved), Marillion (although my votes would be Misplaced Childhood or Fugazi), Yes Album, Close to the Edge and Tales.

I'd add:
Depeche Mode - Violator
Devo - Are We Not Men...
Shania Twain - Woman in Me
Jethro Tull - Aqualung (although there are other Tull albums I like more)
Heart - Little Queen
Crosby Stills, Nash (& Young) - any
Captain Beyond - ST (never happen, but)
Robin Trower - Twice Removed from Yesterday
Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown / Summerime Dream
David bowie - take your pick other than the sellout albums

Why? Because all would have fascinating stories behind albums I love.

I still have a lot of these DVDs to pick up. Every one has been educational, and I'm inclined to get them all, even if there are albums I either don't know or don't particularly like musically. Having insight into the creative and production process is priceless.

Joe Cortez

Stunt Coordinator

Nice to see some love for RIL.

My picks:

Kate Bush - anything and everything really, but especially: "The Dreaming" and "Hounds of Love"
The Residents - "Eskimo"
Pink Floyd - "Wish You Were Here"
Laura Nyro - "New York Tendaberry"
The Fugees - "The Score"
King Crimson - "Discipline"

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

If you get a chance, be sure to catch the VH1 doc "When KISS Ruled the World." It's great, and all four original members participated. They seem to run it at random times very late at night. I first watched it in the middle of the night in the hospital while they were trying to induce labor in my wife (the drugs made her back hurt, which kept us awake). :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks