-

Photo

DVD software outsells VHS in October!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit

• 376 posts

Posted November 22 2001 - 05:08 PM

Sorry if this has already been posted, but did anyone notice this story? It looks like at long last, DVD software sales are outpacing those of VHS!

FYI the author of the article states that this conclusion was reached via analysis of VideoScan data. I thought something like this would have been bigger news than it's been so far, the holiday weekend notwithstanding.

RD
Ask Warner for a DVD SE of Here Comes The Navy (1934)!

#2 of 6 Johnny G

Johnny G

Supporting Actor

• 791 posts

Posted November 22 2001 - 11:09 PM

I thought DVD had been outselling VHS for ages, it's quite worrying that J6P is buying so much & influencing studios.

I'd bet it's at least 2003 though before DVD rentals overtake VHS.

#3 of 6 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted November 23 2001 - 04:38 AM

It seems like there is much more VHS on store shelves in total than DVD but I bet that DVD is selling while VHS is sitting on shelves.
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#4 of 6 Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor

• 982 posts

Posted November 23 2001 - 05:37 AM

>>I'd bet it's at least 2003 though before DVD rentals overtake VHS. <<

I don't know if this is local or chain wide, but I saw a TV Blockbuster spot that offers a free DVD player if you buy one "annual" rental pass for $199 (I beleive the pass is good for 52 rentals, it may have a restriction of you have to rent one per week).

#5 of 6 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,182 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted November 23 2001 - 04:24 PM

This is completely unscientific, but the manager of one of my local Hollywood Video stores told me just today that his rental business right now is 50-50 between DVD & VHS.

I had congratulated him on the recent expansion of his DVD selection and he said both local stores (Albany, NY area) would continue to shift towards more DVD.

Looking at DVD player prices dropping this holiday season, I would predict that the shift is going to pick up a real head of steam within the next few months!

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#6 of 6 Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor

• 982 posts

Posted November 23 2001 - 07:34 PM

Handwriting's all over the wall, following is a partial from BlockBuster's 9/10/2001 press release:

>>To accommodate the in-store DVD expansion, Blockbuster will eliminate approximately 25% of its VHS inventory, as well as select video games, which together now contribute less than 1% of its revenues.*Additionally, the company will adopt a change under which the residual value of all VHS tapes and games will be reduced to approximately $2 and $5, rspectively, to reflect the rapid shift in consumer demand from VHS to DVD and the evolution in game platforms. *The company will also change the amortization period of its VHS library from 36 months to nine months....<<