Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Spark Plugs: RJ19LM=J19LM?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Brian Collins

Brian Collins

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted May 30 2007 - 07:42 AM

My lawn mower recently quit working midway through cutting my grass and wouldn't start again. I looked up the troubleshooting guides on the internet and ended up determining it was a bad spark plug. The only problem is the plug that was installed, Champion RJ19LM, was not available at my local store so I ended up buying the Champion J19LM. The lawn mower works like a champ (at least for the 15-20 seconds I let it run after it started) with the J19LM installed.

My question is it safe to leave the J19LM installed or should I spend the money to have the RJ19LM shipped to me from an internet company? I would do this anyway, but shipping at the few sites I looked at doubled or tripled the cost of the spark plug (less than $2.00 locally for the J19LM).

If it matters the lawn mower is a Toro Recycler model 20041.

Thanks for any opinions/suggestions.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   LewB

LewB

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted May 30 2007 - 08:57 AM

I believe that they are the same.
That is a common plug used by MANY engines.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Dheiner

Dheiner

Screenwriter

• 1,894 posts
  • Location'skonsen

Posted May 30 2007 - 09:02 AM

http://dodgeram.info...ok.html#Today's

Today's spark plugs use resistors to eliminate radio frequency interference (RFI) which can affect on-board computer systems, AM and FM radio reception, TV broadcasts and even airplane communications, Each time the spark jumps across a gap, an electromagnetic field is created that can interfere with radio signals, By placing a resistor in the spark plug, we can substantially reduce RFI. Furthermore, the use of non-resistor plugs with today's complex computer systems can result in driveability problems, loss of performance and can even cause the computer to store trouble codes.
The Green Bay Packers
13-Time National Football League Champions: 1929, 1930, 1931, 1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1996, & 2010

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Bob Graz

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor

• 798 posts

Posted May 30 2007 - 11:14 AM

Right, the RJ is a resistor plug. You're fine with the J19LM.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Brian Collins

Brian Collins

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted May 30 2007 - 01:43 PM

Thank you all for the information. I figured it would be okay, but just wanted to make sure.

I'm just glad I tried it, normally I'm the type of person to just replace the whole thing if it quits working. Being prodded into trying to fix it by my family saved me a few hundred bucks (to help offset the cost of the jump into HD-DVD).