Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Bette in B & W!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted November 22 2001 - 07:10 PM

I just finished watching Now Voyager. What a great B & W picture the DVD had!! The story is not bad either. This only fuels my appetite for these Bette Davis classics: 1. The Old Maid 2. The Letter 3. In This Our Life 4. A Stolen Life 5. The Great Lie 6. Mr Skeffington 7. Marked Woman 8. All This and Heaven Too 9. Juarez 10. Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   Richard Carnahan

Richard Carnahan

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted November 22 2001 - 09:25 PM

This is a gorgeous disc, with superb picture and very-good sound quality. Hard to believe it's a 60 year old film. Warner Bros. has produced another DVD as good as CITIZEN KANE and NORTH BY NORTHWEST. The Max Steiner scoring cues are a great bonus--to bad there aren't more.

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   StuartM

StuartM

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted November 23 2001 - 04:40 AM

Hey Guys I am awaiting the release of any of Bette Davis films on DVD here in the UK. Can't believe they haven't issued anything over here at all! Seems like Now Voyager is getting rave reviews. Perhaps I should get hold of a copy from the US. What else of Bette Davis's has been released on DVD in US and is it up to the same standard? Anyone know if there is anything else in the pipeline? In London Stuart

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,032 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 23 2001 - 06:36 AM

I have the following Bette Davis films on dvd:
    [*]The Little Foxes[*]All About Eve[*]What Ever Happened to Baby Jane[*]Jezebel[*]Dark Victory[*]Pocketful of Miracles

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,493 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted November 23 2001 - 09:06 AM

It looks like Lowry Digital Images has done yet another fine DVD restoration! So far, they've restored.. North By Northwest Citizen Kane Doctor Zhivago Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Now Voyager

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted November 23 2001 - 09:14 AM

More Bette Davis on DVD is absolutely required. I'll second all of the choices above, but I hope Warner's issues the restored version of MR. SKEFFINGTON first.
Derek M. Germano
THE CINEMA LASER
2,000-plus Blu-ray & DVD reviews now playing...
http://www.thecinemalaser.com

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted November 23 2001 - 09:26 AM

[quote]

Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex

[quote]FYI, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex is a Technicolor film. Posted Image

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   bob kaplan

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor

• 571 posts

Posted November 23 2001 - 03:43 PM

i am willing to purchase just about any of Bette's work....Bette Davis...or Bette Midler..!!!

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted November 23 2001 - 09:32 PM

Yes Rain I know that the Elizabeth & Essex film is in color. I included it because it is among the Bette Davis films not yet on DVD that are my favorites.
Cogito, Ergo Sum

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted April 17 2003 - 12:16 PM

I see that vintage Bette remains poorly represented on DVD. It is ashame she does not have more of her films on DVD. You would think her legion of fans would snatch up any of the films I mentioned in droves.
Cogito, Ergo Sum

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,495 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted April 17 2003 - 01:27 PM

[quote]

Hey Guys

I am awaiting the release of any of Bette Davis films on DVD here in the UK. Can't believe they haven't issued anything over here at all!

Seems like Now Voyager is getting rave reviews. Perhaps I should get hold of a copy from the US. What else of Bette Davis's has been released on DVD in US and is it up to the same standard? Anyone know if there is anything else in the pipeline?

[quote]

Stuart, Now Voyager is also available in R4; it's exactly the same disk (save for the fact it somes in a proper keeper case rather than a cardboard snapper), and you'll probably be able to pick it up cheaper from an R4 supplier than an R1.

BTW, the transfer on the R1 All About Eve is almost as good as Now Voyager; the Fox Classics Collection is certainly giving those excellent Warners restorations a run for their money!

---

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted April 17 2003 - 02:29 PM

Absolutely agree with All About Eve, simply fantastic

Hi John

Good to see that you made it to HTF as well and welcome as well

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,924 posts

Posted April 17 2003 - 02:54 PM

I'll second on "All This And Heaven, Too"- Bette was delicious in this film opposite Charles Boyer, and it's a shame they didn't work together again. People have accused Bette of hamming it up at times, but here she brilliantly underplays the role of Henriette, revealing more with less, a technique she also did in 1965's "The Nanny", also NOT on DVD! I also want her trash classic "Beyond The Forest" released, along with "Marked Woman", "Mr. Skeffington", and "In This Our Life"- now in that film she overacts, but it works because it's a melodrama directed by John Huston.
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,495 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted April 18 2003 - 01:43 AM

[quote]

Absolutely agree with All About Eve, simply fantastic

Hi John

Good to see that you made it to HTF as well and welcome as well

[quote]

Thanks oscar Posted Image

BTW, I'm looking forward to Lindsay Anderson's Whales of August; Bette's last great hurrah?

---

Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   Ron Hayes

Ron Hayes

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 04:14 AM

Hello,

My first post and this topic allows me to express my hope for a DVD release of, "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte".

A remastered DVD of these classic group of actors photographed in gorgeous black and white with the movies wonderfully eerie atmosphere and haunting theme song is among my top-5 Wish List for a future release.

As long as I'm 'wishing', it would be fascinating to think that footage exists of the scenes filmed with Joan Crawford before she left the film and could be included as a supplementary.

King Video released the VHS. The film's logo is 20th Century Fox. Does anyone know who owns the rights to this movie? I hope this won't be one of those titles that's going to fall by the wayside Posted Image

Ron

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,032 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 18 2003 - 07:03 AM

Fox owns this title and I'm glad you reminded me to asked them about releasing this fine film. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   Ron Hayes

Ron Hayes

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 07:29 AM

Thank you! I can never be certain what studio owns which film these days and I appreciate the info.

Please let us know if your inquiry to Fox receives a favorable response. An April 22nd release date would be perfect...Posted Image

Thanks, again.

Ron

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 08:36 AM

Would love to see HUSH, HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE out on DVD, as well as those Fox/Hammer titles THE NANNY and THE ANNIVERSARY.
Derek M. Germano
THE CINEMA LASER
2,000-plus Blu-ray & DVD reviews now playing...
http://www.thecinemalaser.com

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   Jefferson

Jefferson

Supporting Actor

• 979 posts

Posted April 18 2003 - 11:21 AM

Thanks for the thread Jeff. I have also been waiting for THE OLD MAID MR. SKEFFINGTON ALL THIS AND HEAVEN TOO and another favorite not mentioned, THE CORN IS GREEN.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users