What's new

9/18 Historical Releases (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
To coincide with their 9/18 dvd release of ELIZABETH, Universal will be bringing out a double feature of ANNE OF A THOUSAND DAYS and MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS.

DouglasBr

Stunt Coordinator
Not particularly interested in ANNE, but I've been wondering where MARY was for a long time now. Bravo, Universal.

With this release, Warner's Shakespeare collection and Warner/BBC's Dracula (with Louis Jourdan), the late summer is going to fill some major holes in this Anglophile's collection. . . .

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
This is great news!

Although I would have loved to see both films receive the deluxe treatment a` la BECKET (1964) and THE LION IN WINTER (1968), I will definitely be picking up this release because:

a) I have never watched MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS (1971)
b) I love double-feature DVDs
c) I love historical epics and ANNE OF A THOUSAND DAYS (1969) is a highly respectable example of the genre...although I still prefer A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS (1966), the DVD of which I might as well grab at the same time!

walter o

Supporting Actor
I hope ANNE OF A THOUSAND DAYS will be in widescreen. I have the old widescreen LD with a trailer. This received 10 Oscar nominations, and was wondering what was taking Univeral forever to put it out on DVD.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Thats fantastic news! Both are extremely well acted excellent films. I love George Delerue"s score to ANNE and John Barry's to MARY.
Both were widescreen films. I saw both of then in 70mm althought I think they were shot in 35mm panavision and blown up.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Well, I'll be damned. Universal really is pulling admirably out of their many-year-long slump. I always loved MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS - saw it twice in theaters when first released, but it never made it to home video beyond VHS, and ANNE OF THE THOUSAND DAYS only made it as far as laser disc. I like ANNE, but I recall having thought the editing was incredibly sloppy for a film of this proportion. Burton is commanding as always, and Bujold is just stunning, but the pacing is weird and the cuts are haphazard, so it's sort of a guilty pleasure for me.

Thanks Universal. Keep up the steady catalog releasing pace!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
This is great news! I will finally be able to retire that laserdisc of ANNE. I haven't seen MARY since it was a theatrical release. These historical epics are particular favorites of mine.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

They are historical dramas but they are certainly not epics. I wish I could be enthusiastic about these two films but they consist of far too much dialogue not much directional flair.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
If they lack directorial flair, that is more than compensated by some terrific acting. In Anne Of The Thousand Days, Burton effortlessly slips into Henry VIII as if born to the manor and Genevieve Bujold makes a lovely and determined Anne in her career making role. The one and only chance of seeing two of England's greatest actresses, Vanessa Redgrave and Glenda Jackson, go head to head in Mary, Queen Of Scots is irresisitible. Redgrave justifiably received a best actress Oscar nomination for her Mary.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I am excited about both releases. I've seen ANNE show up in widescreen on TCM several times, so I am confident the DVD will be as well. For years, I sort of avoided that film, assuming it would be an over the top potboiler. I watched it a few years ago, and was quite impressed with the entire cast and the treatment of the story. In addition to Burton and Bujold, Anthony Quayle is his usual great self.

Also, MARY features a rare leading man/heroic performance by Nigel Davenport. Davenport usually plays dour supporting characters, but made a stalwart Lord Bothwell.

This is great and overdue news!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I now own this set and I am really impressed. The picture quality of ANNE is absolutely top-notch. A trailer, not mentioned on the packaging, is included. MARY is only somewhat less stellar. Great color, but somewhat softer image. Something called a "Promotional Featurette" on the box is actually the original 3:40 trailer. Also included is John Barry's isolated score, with film historian comments (mostly about the music) between cues. I can confirm (as I guess others have) that both films contain stereophonic soundtracks. Great job, Universal!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks