What's new

HD-DVD Matrix Lip Sync Problem (1 Viewer)

Bryant Trew

Second Unit
Anyone else experiencing lip syncing problems with The Matrix HD-DVD? I'm using a Toshiba XA1 with the latest firmware, and the problem is atrocious! I doublechecked that the firmware upgrade didn't knock out any other DVDs, and the problem appears to be specific to The Matrix. :-(

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
No problems on my HD A1 with the Matrix films.

I have run into this problem with other titles though, usually a Netflix rental and after a hiccup. My remedy is to actually pause the movie for a second and then un-pause.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Yes, but from your description, yours is much more severe than what is reported there, by some.

Cees

Bryant Trew

Second Unit

Perhaps I am just angered more by it? Lip sync that is noticeable at all is atrocious in my opinion. I hate the idea that I've bought these DVDs a second time, and may find them problematic due to a noticeable sync issue. This just isn't cool. I mean, what are they using to test these discs?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The lip sync problem is there on the DD track. Selecting the TruHD track corrects the sync error.

This seems to be the case for a large number of people reporting it at AVS, including me.

I'm using the HDA1, optical out, complete Trilogy disc (single sided disc). The problem is there with firmware 2.0 and 2.2. Not present on Reloaded or Revolutions or the THD track of The Matrix (only present on the DD track).

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
No lip sync problems with my HD-A1. The Matrix was one of the best pictures I have seen in HD to date. The audio was clean but both the DD+ and TrueHD tracks seemed to be lacking with very little LFE. My SD copy had plenty of LFE in various spots but it's virtually nonexistent on the HD version. To make sure something wasn't horribly amiss with my setup, I tried Batman Begins and U-571...no problems with the LFE channel. I wanted to keep my Complete Trilogy HD set but returned it to Best Buy the day I bought it because Reloaded had a deep scratch running from the hub all the way to the outer edge of the disc. They didn't have any more copies so I decided to wait until the movies are sold separately and just buy the Matrix itself.

Bryant Trew

Second Unit
I concur. With THD the lip sync is debatable. I don't think I would have noticed it had I not experienced it on DD first, which looks like a 1980's kung fu movie.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
No lip sync with my 2.2 FW'd XA-1. Granted, only sampled a few scenes so far. :)

Clinton, awesome sig pic.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I have watched all three Matrix movies on my XA2, and Matrix a second time with the In Movie Experince turned on. (All set to True HD). Never any lip sync issues.

I also tried all three in my 360 add-on and noticed no lipsync issues. (Dolby Digital). While I did not watch the complete movies in the 360, I do not think there was any issue with these disks.

All systems have current updates. The XBox is component, the XA2 is HDMI.

Bryant Trew

Second Unit
We need a poll

1. I am using an outboard processor connected via toslink/coax and I do have lipsync problems

2. I am using an outboard processor connected via toslink/coax and I don't have lipsync problems

3. I am using an outboard processor connected via HDMI and I do have lipsync problems

4. I am using an outboard processor connected via HDMI and I don't have lipsync problems

5. I am connected directly to my TV via HDMI and I do have lipsync problems

6. I am connected directly to my TV via HDMI and I don't have lipsync problems

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks