-

Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

"Rio Bravo" and "The Cowboys" in HD


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
53 replies to this topic

#1 of 54 Johannes S

Johannes S

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 120 posts
  • Join Date: May 27 2005

Posted May 29 2007 - 07:28 AM

My cineastic heart is feeling very sad. Is anybody here to comfort me, please? Posted Image

I received both John Wayne films on HD DVD today and could not wait to immediately watch and spot check them.

What I saw was a very nice picture with good resolution. A definite improvement to the SD version I watched last week. So far the good news.

No, what makes me sad about the transfers?

IT IS THE AWFUL AND DISGUSTING GRAIN FILTERING!

Gone are the days of early HD releases like "Apollo 13" or "Backdraft" or even more recent releases like "The Searchers" with lots of wonderful, natural film grain.

I recognize a highest quality 2 or even 4K scan as the basis for these new HD transfers. But where is the natural film grain? In case of "Rio Bravo" there are moments with wonderful natural grain, particularly in bright scenes, but all the blacks, most shades of gray and brown are sometimes filtered to grainlessness. ( = filtered to death)

In my personal opinion, they ruined the enjoyment of one of the best westerns, by ruining their own high quality film scan by means of digital degraining. "The Cowboys" is degrained even more, sometimes they stole us the grain completely here.

I am feeling sad, but I acknowledge there are many consumers who like these "sterilized" grain reduced transfers. I hate them! I am afraid to read reviews soon by so called "experts", applauding how "artifact free" and "noise free" the picture is. They probably do not know to differentiate between (wonderful) grain and (ugly) noise...

Examples: Check "Rio Bravo" at the following scenes: 36min 50s until approx. 40min: The dark scenes are totally degrained. Check time code 45/30: The blacks are again grainless, eliminating all shadow detail and "3D-feeling".

STOP IT, WARNER, PLEASE!

Let me note, I also spot checked the new Paramount HD releases of "Coming to America" and "Trading Places": Again, a filtered mess!

One of the few moments to see some natural film grain of "Trading Places" is the very first second of the movie, beginning with the Paramount logo. You notice that with a lag of less than a second the digital degrainer starts its dire work. This is the second where you see how the film grain is supposed to look, before the degrainer destroys the transfer. It remains a sharp, but lifeless degrained picture...

#2 of 54 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

    Producer

  • 5,514 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 16 2006

Posted May 30 2007 - 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes S
My cineastic heart is feeling very sad. Is anybody here to comfort me, please? Posted Image

I received both John Wayne films on HD DVD today and could not wait to immediately watch and spot check them.

What I saw was a very nice picture with good resolution. A definite improvement to the SD version I watched last week. So far the good news.

No, what makes me sad about the transfers?

IT IS THE AWFUL AND DISGUSTING GRAIN FILTERING!

Gone are the days of early HD releases like "Apollo 13" or "Backdraft" or even more recent releases like "The Searchers" with lots of wonderful, natural film grain.



I just got Rio Bravo tonight. This is my favorite western of all time and I have to say I think it looks fantastic. I'm not seeing anything that looks like grain filtering. The level of grain I'm seeing seems to be about right for matted 35mm film of this age.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#3 of 54 Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

    Screenwriter

  • 1,765 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 18 1998
  • Real Name:Jeff Adkins

Posted May 31 2007 - 12:01 AM

Quote:
Let me note, I also spot checked the new Paramount HD releases of "Coming to America" and "Trading Places": Again, a filtered mess!

One of the few moments to see some natural film grain of "Trading Places" is the very first second of the movie, beginning with the Paramount logo. You notice that with a lag of less than a second the digital degrainer starts its dire work. This is the second where you see how the film grain is supposed to look, before the degrainer destroys the transfer. It remains a sharp, but lifeless degrained picture...

I will be interested in hearing some comparisons on this title (Trading Places as the Blu-Ray is encoded AVC and I would assume that the HD-DVD is VC-1. All of my VC-1 discs except for The Searchers and Planet Earth have this filtered look to them. I'm curious to know if this filtering is being done to the actual master or the VC-1 encode.

#4 of 54 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

    Screenwriter

  • 2,616 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 16 2002

Posted May 31 2007 - 12:16 AM

Jeff actually brings up a good point, when responding in this thread it would be helpful to specify whether you are referring to the Blu-ray or HD DVD release. That way we'll know if we're talking 'apples to apples' or not.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#5 of 54 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Studio Mogul

  • 24,513 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 31 2007 - 12:20 AM

Also, people are reporting that the 05-22-07 SD DVD release of Rio Bravo appears darker and more brownish than the prior SD DVD release. Does the same apply to either the BRD or HD DVD?




Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

 


#6 of 54 Jordan_E

Jordan_E

    Screenwriter

  • 2,233 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 03 2002

Posted May 31 2007 - 12:59 AM

Oh man, I was looking forward to Rio Bravo...oh well, need to get it anyway.
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#7 of 54 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

    Screenwriter

  • 2,616 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 16 2002

Posted May 31 2007 - 01:10 AM

Quote:
Also, people are reporting that the 05-22-07 SD DVD release of Rio Bravo appears darker and more brownish than the prior SD DVD release.

For those interested in seeing what Robert is referring to, checkout DVD Beaver's SD comparison here:

http://www.dvdbeaver...8/rio-bravo.htm
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#8 of 54 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Studio Mogul

  • 24,513 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 31 2007 - 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan_E
Oh man, I was looking forward to Rio Bravo...oh well, need to get it anyway.
Also, it might look fine to your eyes.

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

 


#9 of 54 Robert George

Robert George

    Screenwriter

  • 1,014 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 03 1997

Posted May 31 2007 - 01:35 AM

Anyone interested in these films should take a single opinion as just that (no offense meant to Johannes), a single opinion. I've had a chance to look at all four of the films mentioned on HD DVD. I disagree that these appear "filtered" to remove grain. What I do see is the natural grain structure of the film element preserved without the distracting artifacting associated with low bit rate MPEG-2 we have been used to on DVD.

In the case of Rio Bravo, this film has never looked this good that I have seen. Colors are solid and vibrant and density is wonderfiul. This image holds up extremely well projected in 1080p at 106". Extremely film-like. I'm very much looking forward to having enough time to sit down and savor this great western classic in its entirety.

The Cowboys does appear a bit "cleaner", but that is to be expected from a more modern production. Film grain is still present, albeit rather more fine than in the Rio Bravo elements. The trtansfer is still quite sharp and detailed with solid, natural color balance.

The two Paramount films are rather different in appearance despite being more contemporary. Trading Places is very smooth and clean, though I don't feel this looks "filtered". Just a nice clean film element. I see no telltales of excessive DNR or other video processing. Coming To America is the least improved of the bunch with only a fairly minor improvement over the DVD edition. I bit sharper and more detailed with more solid colors, but still a rather dull, dated look overall. I'm sure the more important attraction for most fans of this movie is the 16:9 transfer as the old DVD was not enhanced for widescreen.

My two Pesos.

#10 of 54 Jordan_E

Jordan_E

    Screenwriter

  • 2,233 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 03 2002

Posted May 31 2007 - 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
Also, it might look fine to your eyes.

And these 46 year old eyes don't pick out as many inconsistancies as they used to...but, the older you get, the bigger the screen, and at 116" Rio Bravo should look quite nice.
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#11 of 54 Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins

    Supporting Actor

  • 931 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 19 2001

Posted May 31 2007 - 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert George
Anyone interested in these films should take a single opinion as just that (no offense meant to Johannes), a single opinion. I've had a chance to look at all four of the films mentioned on HD DVD. I disagree that these appear "filtered" to remove grain. What I do see is the natural grain structure of the film element preserved without the distracting artifacting associated with low bit rate MPEG-2 we have been used to on DVD.

In the case of Rio Bravo, this film has never looked this good that I have seen. Colors are solid and vibrant and density is wonderfiul. This image holds up extremely well projected in 1080p at 106". Extremely film-like. I'm very much looking forward to having enough time to sit down and savor this great western classic in its entirety.

The Cowboys does appear a bit "cleaner", but that is to be expected from a more modern production. Film grain is still present, albeit rather more fine than in the Rio Bravo elements. The trtansfer is still quite sharp and detailed with solid, natural color balance.

The two Paramount films are rather different in appearance despite being more contemporary. Trading Places is very smooth and clean, though I don't feel this looks "filtered". Just a nice clean film element. I see no telltales of excessive DNR or other video processing. Coming To America is the least improved of the bunch with only a fairly minor improvement over the DVD edition. I bit sharper and more detailed with more solid colors, but still a rather dull, dated look overall. I'm sure the more important attraction for most fans of this movie is the 16:9 transfer as the old DVD was not enhanced for widescreen.

My two Pesos.

Add my two Pesos!

I haven't seen the Paramounts, but I do have both the Waynes (HD-DVD) and they look spectacular....quite film-like, and gorgeous. I know both RIO BRAVO and THE COWBOYS quite well, and think that these new HD releases are both stellar.

#12 of 54 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

    Screenwriter

  • 2,616 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 16 2002

Posted May 31 2007 - 05:12 AM

I'm not familiar with either film, so I gues what I'm trying to find out is 1) Do the BD and HD DVD releases reflect the same color scheme as the new SD Rio Bravo disc, and 2) For those familiar with the film, which color scheme is more accurate?
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#13 of 54 Johannes S

Johannes S

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 120 posts
  • Join Date: May 27 2005

Posted May 31 2007 - 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
I'm not familiar with either film, so I gues what I'm trying to find out is 1) Do the BD and HD DVD releases reflect the same color scheme as the new SD Rio Bravo disc, and 2) For those familiar with the film, which color scheme is more accurate?

ad 1) Yes, the HD version has exactly the same color scheme as the SD versions.

ad 2) In my opinion the color looks more natural on the previous version of "Rio Bravo". Check this thread on the DVD Forums:

http://www.thedvdfor....&postcount=227

Regarding some responses to my comments on the grain issue, I never said the image looks bad. It looks great in some scenes. But after watching it again on my new 50" 1080p full HD plasma screen yesterday evening, I am positive that excessive grain reduction has been applied, with some scenes -mostly dark scenes- totally filtered with no remaining grain at all.

#14 of 54 ppltd

ppltd

    Producer

  • 3,044 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 30 2006

Posted May 31 2007 - 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rollins
Add my two Pesos!

I haven't seen the Paramounts, but I do have both the Waynes (HD-DVD) and they look spectacular....quite film-like, and gorgeous. I know both RIO BRAVO and THE COWBOYS quite well, and think that these new HD releases are both stellar.
I cannot wait to get these releases, and it is good to hear that they did a good job on the releases. They will make fine additions to my library, and will be sitting right to the stellar release of 'The Searchers'.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.


#15 of 54 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

    Producer

  • 5,514 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 16 2006

Posted May 31 2007 - 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
Also, people are reporting that the 05-22-07 SD DVD release of Rio Bravo appears darker and more brownish than the prior SD DVD release. Does the same apply to either the BRD or HD DVD?




Crawdaddy

The new Rio Bravo HD DVD has slightly better color saturation and the blacks are more solid than the original DVD release. I'm not sure that its really more brown as just a little more saturation in the color. The whole film its self (including the original DVD release) has a very brown or sepia cast to it. I'm also seeing quite a lot of blue highlights that I never noticed before. As though they were using blue gels on the back lights.

I haven't seen the new SD release but from looking at the stills that were linked too in this thread it looks about the same.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#16 of 54 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

    Producer

  • 5,514 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 16 2006

Posted May 31 2007 - 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes S
ad 1) =227[/url]

Regarding some responses to my comments on the grain issue, I never said the image looks bad. It looks great in some scenes. But after watching it again on my new 50" 1080p full HD plasma screen yesterday evening, I am positive that excessive grain reduction has been applied, with some scenes -mostly dark scenes- totally filtered with no remaining grain at all.

Again I have to completely disagree with you on this point. I'm seeing a very natural looking film grain for a film of this age. Even in the dark scenes. I don't see anything that looks like any kind of noise reduction has been applied to the image.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#17 of 54 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

    Producer

  • 5,514 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 16 2006

Posted May 31 2007 - 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert George

The Cowboys does appear a bit "cleaner", but that is to be expected from a more modern production.


The Cowboys is not only newer but is a Panavision film meaning that the whole academy aperture is being used. Rio Bravo is matted to 1.85:1 so the grain is naturally going to be more pronounced on that film.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#18 of 54 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Studio Mogul

  • 24,513 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 07 2007 - 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce
The new Rio Bravo HD DVD has slightly better color saturation and the blacks are more solid than the original DVD release. I'm not sure that its really more brown as just a little more saturation in the color. The whole film its self (including the original DVD release) has a very brown or sepia cast to it. I'm also seeing quite a lot of blue highlights that I never noticed before. As though they were using blue gels on the back lights.

I haven't seen the new SD release but from looking at the stills that were linked too in this thread it looks about the same.

Doug
After viewing the BRD, my impressions of this transfer is the same as yours. I was a little too young when this film was released theatrically so I can't remembered whether the color of the film is correct or not, but overall this is definitely an improvement over the previous dvd release. The lack of grain criticism, I can't go along with because there is definitely grain present throughout the film. Anyhow, going back to the accuracy of the color, I leave it to the so-called experts who were old enough to remember how the film looked in the theater to criticized Warner because I just don't know for sure, but something is going on because we had more than a few of Warner's classic home video releases criticized for the same concern about them having too much brown. Also, the audio commentary by Schickel is not very good and he makes a lot of errors with certain facts.

This weekend, I'll watch "The Cowboys" BRD.





Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

 


#19 of 54 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

    Producer

  • 5,514 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 16 2006

Posted June 08 2007 - 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
After viewing the BRD, my impressions of this transfer is the same as yours. I was a little too young when this film was released theatrically so I can't remembered whether the color of the film is correct or not, but overall this is definitely an improvement over the previous dvd release. The lack of grain criticism, I can't go along with because there is definitely grain present throughout the film. Anyhow, going back to the accuracy of the color, I leave it to the so-called experts who were old enough to remember how the film looked in the theater to criticized Warner because I just don't know for sure, but something is going on because we had more than a few of Warner's classic home video releases criticized for the same concern about them having too much brown. Also, the audio commentary by Schickel is not very good and he makes a lot of errors with certain facts.

This weekend, I'll watch "The Cowboys" BRD.

Crawdaddy

I'm also too young to have seen this in the theater so I can't speak to the color of the original release prints. I'm not sure even if I were old enough that I could remember with that kind of accuracy. However I can say that all the previous versions of this film even going back to the VHS release had a similar look being slightly brownish in tone, if not this level of color fidelity. I also don't know if the older transfers were from a Technicolor print or from the original negitive. Also I don't know if this transfer is from the original negitive either.

Having said all that the color doesn't bother me. I think it gives the whole film a kind of dusty look that seems appropriate for the film.

Just curious what other Warner classics seem to have this same brownish look? I wonder if any of this has to do with the fading color layer of Eastman negatives of this age?

Doug

Edit: I wonder if in 50 years people will be looking at films from the early 2000s (after the Matrix) and wondering if they are all supposed to look that green?
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#20 of 54 Bradley-E

Bradley-E

    Screenwriter

  • 1,019 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 11 2003

Posted June 08 2007 - 03:31 AM

I have both and have put them on to look at but will watch both fully this weekend. They looked fine to me from what I saw.


Back to Blu-ray



Forum Nav Content I Follow