Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What kind of tree is this?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Michael Warner

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor

• 742 posts

Posted May 28 2007 - 03:31 PM

I have this tree in my front yard and I have no idea what it is. It leafs out early in the spring then some of the leaves on the ends turn into pink flowers (not like a typical blossoming tree) and eventually the middle of the flowers turns into a small fruit with an odd texture. The flowers have no smell to them and the fruit doesn't have a single large pit like a cherry or plum. I live near Seattle if that helps to place it in context at all. Here's a picture:

Posted Image
Xbox Live: mugwumps

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 8,059 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted May 28 2007 - 03:42 PM

That looks like some kind of dogwood tree, although I don't recognize the exact variety.

http://earthobservat....eddogwood.html

Posted Image

Posted Image
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Michael Warner

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor

• 742 posts

Posted May 28 2007 - 04:08 PM

Hmm, I think you're probably right. I'm just used to the dogwoods I know from the Midwest and they always had multiple small berries per blossom like in your picture. Thanks for the quick response.
Xbox Live: mugwumps

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Eden Keeper

Eden Keeper

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted December 20 2010 - 05:53 AM

Due to both the presence of mature leaves and lack of the indention at the tip of the petals/bracts, which protect the flower bud(s) through the winter, it is probably a kousa dogwood, Cornus kousa Hance, rather than a flowering dogwood, C. florida L., since both have pink flowered cultivars while the former has terminal blooms on new wood after the leaves have put out rather than having terminal flower buds in the winter that bloom before the leaves open like the later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users