What's new

What is going to sell better, The Fall Guy or CHIPS?? (1 Viewer)

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
These two shows represent the last of my top 5 previously unreleased titles. Naturally I was thrilled to see them both being released on the same day. The next thing on my mind is..Which one of them will sell better, and which, if not both will see each season released. I know both have their own followings but I wanted to see what everyone else out there thought..

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
I dont know what the fall guy is but I am certainly going to check it out. And I am definately buying CHiPs

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I'll probably buy both eventually but I'll be getting CHiPS first. Plus around here The Fall Guy will be more expensive, almost 70 bucks (cdn) come on Fox.

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a big fan of The Fall Guy, and will be purchasing all seasons released, but not a fan enough of Chips to buy it.

But I think those results are atypical, and I'd be surprised if Chips doesn't sell twice as many single season sets as the Fall Guy. First the price of Chips is $40 ($28 on Amazon), while the Fall Guy is $60 ($45 on Amazon). I know there are the half sets for the Fall Guy, but people on the fence will see a full season of Chips versus a half season at the same price and will go with the full season.

Also, I think Chips has a much higher remembrance factor to the average person. Chips has been on reruns more frequently (at least out by me), and Erik Estrada has a higher profile than Lee Majors (admittedly neither is a Class A star).

I think Chips is almost guaranteed a full series run, but I'm not so sure about the Fall Guy.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Not dissing Chips but I am certain Fall Guy will do better and will probably be more quickly released.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I will be buying both next week. But i would say CHiPs will outsell the fall guy by quite abit. First off many more people watched it, whether it was first run or syndication. The Fall Guy aside from it's 5-Year run didn't spend much time in syndication the way CHiPs was on for nearly 25 straight years. The other reason is CHiPs is $20 cheaper so it makes someone deciding to get one a little easier.

I hope both sell well as i want every season of both!

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Fall Guy did better in syndication, Chips fell off the face of the planet, at least in my locality. Perhaps this is a regional thing. I have no hatred for Chips and intend to purchase it but Fall Guy is a higher priority. Also Lee Majors has a higher profile than Erik Estrada.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Since these are both old shows, I don't think how they performed on the networks or syndication will have much, if anything, to do with it.

Let's face it. Old shows really don't sell all that well stacked up against recent fare. Why? Because stuff that was popular 20-25 years ago is pretty much off the radar of the 18-25 year olds, who are the market that the major companies are trying to get hold of. Sales figures would seem to indicate that what's been popular recently will sell the most units.

I'd say that both shows will probably perform about equally, unless one is priced way higher than the other (as has been said above). There's probably not a significant enough amount of us geezers buying this old stuff to make all that much difference one way or the other, quality issues, price, etc. being equal.

There are a few old shows that break the stereotype and sell like hotcakes, like the recent example of Hawaii Five-0, but those are the exception rather than the rule.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
The big difference might come down to whether Lee Majors or Erik Estrada decide to pimp the boxsets on the various Entertainment shows.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
Don't know that I'll be buying either one, but CHiPs would definitely be the one if I did make the purchase.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I'm only planning to buy CHiPs next week, never got into the Fall Guy. I'd rather see an R1 release of Major's The Six Million Dollar Man

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I was just looking at next weeks Best Buy flyer and both CHiPs and The Fall Guy are advertised. CHiPs = $29.99 and comes with a best buy exclusive pair of CHiPs sunglasses. The Fall Guy = $39.99 which is cheaper than anyplace online. So come tuesday best buy gets my money for both!!

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
Interesting responses guys & gals!! Thanks to all who replied. I realize that this old stuff will not sell as well as some of the new stuff. But as long as Fox/WB realize that this stuff will not sell as good as something like Friends, who knows, we may see continued seasons.
It's great to see how many are planning on purchasing both sets!!

BTW, my money is on CHIPS being the better seller.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Never watched ``Fall Guy,'' am definitely buying ``CHiPs''!
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks