Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What is going to sell better, The Fall Guy or CHIPS??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#1 of 56 OFFLINE   Dan*T

Dan*T

Supporting Actor

• 538 posts

Posted May 28 2007 - 03:28 PM

These two shows represent the last of my top 5 previously unreleased titles. Naturally I was thrilled to see them both being released on the same day. The next thing on my mind is..Which one of them will sell better, and which, if not both will see each season released. I know both have their own followings but I wanted to see what everyone else out there thought..
Dan T.

#2 of 56 OFFLINE   70sTVlover

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator

• 242 posts

Posted May 28 2007 - 09:14 PM

I dont know what the fall guy is but I am certainly going to check it out. And I am definately buying CHiPs

#3 of 56 OFFLINE   Pete Battista

Pete Battista

Screenwriter

• 1,959 posts
  • LocationPrincess Anne, Md. USA

Posted May 28 2007 - 09:20 PM

I will probably buy both myself... I used to watch both of them... but barely remember The Fall Guy.

#4 of 56 OFFLINE   RogerH

RogerH

Supporting Actor

• 877 posts

Posted May 28 2007 - 11:17 PM

I'll probably buy both eventually but I'll be getting CHiPS first. Plus around here The Fall Guy will be more expensive, almost 70 bucks (cdn) come on Fox.

#5 of 56 OFFLINE   JeffO

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted May 29 2007 - 12:56 AM

I'm a big fan of The Fall Guy, and will be purchasing all seasons released, but not a fan enough of Chips to buy it. But I think those results are atypical, and I'd be surprised if Chips doesn't sell twice as many single season sets as the Fall Guy. First the price of Chips is $40 ($28 on Amazon), while the Fall Guy is $60 ($45 on Amazon). I know there are the half sets for the Fall Guy, but people on the fence will see a full season of Chips versus a half season at the same price and will go with the full season. Also, I think Chips has a much higher remembrance factor to the average person. Chips has been on reruns more frequently (at least out by me), and Erik Estrada has a higher profile than Lee Majors (admittedly neither is a Class A star). I think Chips is almost guaranteed a full series run, but I'm not so sure about the Fall Guy.
TV DVDs wanted: TJ Hooker (seasons 3-5), The Fall Guy (Seasons 2-5), Scarecrow and Mrs. King, Father Dowling Mysteries, Queen of Swords, Smurfs, and Charlemagne (1994 TV miniseries)

#6 of 56 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted May 29 2007 - 02:54 AM

Not dissing Chips but I am certain Fall Guy will do better and will probably be more quickly released.
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#7 of 56 ONLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,878 posts

Posted May 29 2007 - 06:58 AM

I'm buying both, but I like CHIPS better.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#8 of 56 OFFLINE   Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted May 29 2007 - 07:17 AM

I will be buying both next week. But i would say CHiPs will outsell the fall guy by quite abit. First off many more people watched it, whether it was first run or syndication. The Fall Guy aside from it's 5-Year run didn't spend much time in syndication the way CHiPs was on for nearly 25 straight years. The other reason is CHiPs is $20 cheaper so it makes someone deciding to get one a little easier. I hope both sell well as i want every season of both!

#9 of 56 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted May 29 2007 - 07:32 AM

Fall Guy did better in syndication, Chips fell off the face of the planet, at least in my locality. Perhaps this is a regional thing. I have no hatred for Chips and intend to purchase it but Fall Guy is a higher priority. Also Lee Majors has a higher profile than Erik Estrada.
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#10 of 56 OFFLINE   Will_C

Will_C

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted May 29 2007 - 08:14 AM

Like CHiPs, love Fall Guy. Gettin' both.
Rick Hunter
USMC Force Recon Scout Sniper
"If you run, you'll only die tired."

#11 of 56 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 2,037 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted May 29 2007 - 08:50 AM

Since these are both old shows, I don't think how they performed on the networks or syndication will have much, if anything, to do with it. Let's face it. Old shows really don't sell all that well stacked up against recent fare. Why? Because stuff that was popular 20-25 years ago is pretty much off the radar of the 18-25 year olds, who are the market that the major companies are trying to get hold of. Sales figures would seem to indicate that what's been popular recently will sell the most units. I'd say that both shows will probably perform about equally, unless one is priced way higher than the other (as has been said above). There's probably not a significant enough amount of us geezers buying this old stuff to make all that much difference one way or the other, quality issues, price, etc. being equal. There are a few old shows that break the stereotype and sell like hotcakes, like the recent example of Hawaii Five-0, but those are the exception rather than the rule.

#12 of 56 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted May 29 2007 - 11:03 AM

The big difference might come down to whether Lee Majors or Erik Estrada decide to pimp the boxsets on the various Entertainment shows.
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#13 of 56 ONLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,321 posts

Posted May 29 2007 - 11:30 AM

Like em both, will get CHIPs First!Posted Image

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 38,820 :biggrin: ( 830 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,426   :B)  Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#14 of 56 OFFLINE   Duane Alford

Duane Alford

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted May 29 2007 - 11:37 AM

I loved both, and as long as I'm near either a WalMart or Best Buy, I'll be buying both.

#15 of 56 OFFLINE   Bill>Moore

Bill>Moore

Second Unit

• 366 posts

Posted May 29 2007 - 03:12 PM

Don't know that I'll be buying either one, but CHiPs would definitely be the one if I did make the purchase.

#16 of 56 OFFLINE   Ron68

Ron68

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts

Posted May 29 2007 - 03:52 PM

I'm only planning to buy CHiPs next week, never got into the Fall Guy. I'd rather see an R1 release of Major's The Six Million Dollar Man

#17 of 56 OFFLINE   Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted May 29 2007 - 03:53 PM

I was just looking at next weeks Best Buy flyer and both CHiPs and The Fall Guy are advertised. CHiPs = $29.99 and comes with a best buy exclusive pair of CHiPs sunglasses. The Fall Guy = $39.99 which is cheaper than anyplace online. So come tuesday best buy gets my money for both!!

#18 of 56 OFFLINE   Dan*T

Dan*T

Supporting Actor

• 538 posts

Posted May 29 2007 - 04:11 PM

Interesting responses guys & gals!! Thanks to all who replied. I realize that this old stuff will not sell as well as some of the new stuff. But as long as Fox/WB realize that this stuff will not sell as good as something like Friends, who knows, we may see continued seasons. It's great to see how many are planning on purchasing both sets!! BTW, my money is on CHIPS being the better seller.
Dan T.

#19 of 56 OFFLINE   Firebee

Firebee

Supporting Actor

• 759 posts

Posted May 29 2007 - 04:28 PM

Never watched ``Fall Guy,'' am definitely buying ``CHiPs''! Posted Image

I also have not enough time to watch all of these DVDS:

http://www.invelos.c....aspx/fire26bee

#20 of 56 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,348 posts

Posted May 29 2007 - 10:23 PM

Never watched "Chips", so I'll definitely be buying "The Fall Guy".