Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Universal announces fix for 'Children of Men' and 'Good Shepherd'

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted May 25 2007 - 08:09 AM

According to Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits, it seems Universal has discovered the reason for the playback issues with many copies of 'Children of Men' and 'The Good Shepherd.

Quote:
apparently due to a slightly too thick bonding layer...
USHE.ConsumerRelations@worldmarkinc.com

Universal is due to start repressing the disks next week. Hopefully the replacement disks will be shipped soon after.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,681 posts

Posted May 25 2007 - 04:57 PM

Very cool news! I sent my disc back to them about 1.5 weeks ago. Can't wait for this to be resolved. Good work Universal on the fix. Posted Image

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted May 27 2007 - 01:21 AM

Quote:
apparently due to a slightly too thick bonding layer...

This is a major reason why I avoid Combo's whenever possible (if I have the choice) and the main reason I'm against the concept of THD. Glueing two discs together is not a good thing and introduces all kinds of potential problems (whether immediate or 2-5 years later if the glue starts to break down).

I've got DVD-18's that used to play fine but now don't, you'd think the studio's (especially Universal) would've learned from the problematic 18's.

Anyhow, good to read they figured out the problem and that I'll finally be able to own COM in HD. Hopefully they'll learn from this and take measures to avoid this situation in the future, the most reliable resolution is of course to eliminate the Combo Posted Image
Death before Streaming!

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Robert George

Robert George

Screenwriter

• 1,014 posts

Posted May 27 2007 - 02:27 AM

While there are obviously some manufacturing issues involved, there is also obviously an issue with the tolerances in the players as well. That seems to have been addressed in the latest firmware update for the G2 players. 1.6 firmware released several days ago has fixed the issues I was having, and apparently other people's as well based on postings on AVS.

If you are using the A2, A20, or XA2, I suggest updating firmware and see if that does not fix this problem with these few problematic combo discs.

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Yumbo

Yumbo

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts

Posted May 27 2007 - 07:28 AM

The affected 360 add-ons also has no more issues with the affected combos. Loads the first time.

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,027 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 09 2007 - 03:17 AM

I just received a corrected "The Good Shepherd" HD DVD from Universal. They have an "inspected" tag on the front of HD DVD case. I'll try it in a little bit and report my findings in this thread.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted June 09 2007 - 06:24 AM

I, in no way, shape, or form believe Universal's problem is Combo discs. They have a problem with everything they issue lately. Starting last fall I started notcing that most of my Universal discs came prescratched. Many would not play and had to be exchanged. Then, after their winter vacation, the only disc I've bought from them that I didn't have a problem with was The Jerk. Yesterday I bought The 40-Year-Old Virgin and it has bizzare amounts of aliasing and jaggies. Some others are reporting the same defect. This goes way beyond what you'd see on a particularly poor 1988 Laserdisc.

My copy of Alpha Dog freezes on the screen-saver. The various copies of Hollywoodland all frooze someplace, four of 'em. I have had the good fortune to have passed on COM and GS because of the early reports.

I cannot recall a problem with a Warner disc. If I had one, it was the early days. I haven't had one lately, not with them, Paramount, Weinstein, or my Euro imports. Universal discs are poison for me lately.
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted June 09 2007 - 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_K
I've got DVD-18's that used to play fine but now don't, you'd think the studio's (especially Universal) would've learned from the problematic 18's.

True, but no one seemed to have problems with DVD-10s.

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,027 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 09 2007 - 11:04 AM

I watched "The Good Shepherd" and it played fine. I might repurchase "Children of Men" again because I know that Universal can send a corrected disc.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,681 posts

Posted June 09 2007 - 03:07 PM

My corrected Children of Men HD DVD from Universal arrived earlier this week and plays flawlessly on my XA-1. (2.2 FW). Posted Image

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted June 09 2007 - 03:19 PM

I exchanged my 40-Year-Old Virgin disc at Tar-jeaux this evening for one that looked good judging by the first five minutes.
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,134 posts

Posted June 10 2007 - 09:28 PM

Just got my copy of CHILDREN OF MEN from DD and it plays fine on my Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive.

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Peter Jessee

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted June 23 2007 - 08:56 AM

I just bought a HD-A2 last weekend, and rented a copy of 'The Good Shepherd' last night to christen it. After 30 seconds or so of spinning the loading icon, it came back with the "Not a DVD" error message. I cleaned the HD-DVD side and discovered a 3/4" scratch about halfway in from the edge. Tried it again, same error message.

This morning I hooked up an ethernet cable and did the Maintenance-Update dance. With a hopeful heart, I stuck in the disc again. The good news is that it only took half as long for the error message to appear.

This is my first try with a HD-DVD. Is it likely that the scratch is the problem, or is this just an early release copy that needs to be replaced by Universal? I'm headed back to Hollywood Video to see if they have another copy or will exchange for another title. Wish me luck!

Peter

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted June 23 2007 - 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jessee
This is my first try with a HD-DVD. Is it likely that the scratch is the problem, or is this just an early release copy that needs to be replaced by Universal? I'm headed back to Hollywood Video to see if they have another copy or will exchange for another title. Wish me luck!

Peter
It sounds like you received one of the early defective disks and Hollywood just has not bothered to get theirs replaced. I hope you have better luck with the next as this is one great film.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted June 23 2007 - 04:06 PM

I never had a problem with my copy of The Good Shepherd. Children of Men didn't interest me so I didn't buy it.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow