What's new

Pan's Labyrinth coming to HD DVD! (Import) (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Note: So it's a French release, but with no region coding.....

Pan’s Labyrinth is world’s first live action HD DVD movie to receive THX certification

Guillermo Del Toro’s masterpiece sets new standard for high definition audio and visual qualityCannes Film Festival, 20 May 2007 – Wild Side Video is proud to announce the release of Pan’s Labyrinth on HD DVD in France. As further evidence of the number of European content makers, studios, replicators and manufacturers that have committed to the format, this will be the first European HD DVD to be THX Certified and the only live action HD DVD disc in the world to achieve certification.

Set in Spain in 1944 under the fascist Franco regime, the story of Pan’s Labyrinth centres on Ofelia, the studious young stepdaughter of a sadistic army officer, who escapes into a surreal yet captivating world of fantasy.

Wild Side Video is the distribution company responsible for bringing the movie to HD DVD in France. “Pan’s Labyrinth is an amazing movie, which caught the industry and the public’s imagination at Cannes in 2006,” said Gregory Strouk, Managing Director of Wild Side Video. “Now, the film is back in a larger than life form thanks to our HD DVD release and we’re proud to be responsible for continuing its success into the home.”

“Yet again, HD DVD is setting a new high watermark for sound and picture quality in the high definition movie domain,” said Eddie Cunningham, Chairman of the European HD DVD Promotional Group. “THX is a world respected stamp of quality that is trusted by producers and movie audiences around the world. It is therefore fitting that one of Del Toro’s most acclaimed works should be the first European HD DVD disc to receive this certification.”

“We are thrilled to partner with Wild Side Video to launch the world’s first THX Certified live action HD DVD movie,” said Rick Dean, Vice President of Technology Development at THX. “Pan’s Labyrinth is a groundbreaking film, made by one of the world’s most gifted directors. Our collaboration with Wild Side Video will allow fans of this film to experience its incredible beauty in a stunning HD presentation.”

Pan’s Labyrinth is part of an unrivalled HD DVD success story is Europe. While other HD formats focus on major Hollywood releases, the promotional group is unabashed in its support for locally produced, distributed and replicated content.

“An ever increasing number of production houses and studios are discovering the creative and commercial advantages of choosing HD DVD. This includes more cost effective production thanks to a high number of supporting replicators, which makes the HD business far more viable for independents,” added Cunningham.

To mark the release of Pan’s Labyrinth on HD DVD, 100,000 demonstration discs will be distributed in home cinema and trade press. This ‘combo’ disc (which is also THX certified) will feature SD and HD DVD format content – one on each side of the disc. Users of the disc will be able to compare the digital HD format Windows Media File (WMF) on the SD side with the HD DVD side of the disc as well as experience an HD DVD guide that explains the format and its many benefits.

“The combo disc is a great way to help educate consumers about the benefits of HD DVD and even if they don’t yet have a player, they can flip the disc over and see clips of Pan’s Labyrinth in widescreen 720p and 1080p high definition on the DVD-ROM,” concluded Strouk.

NOTES TO EDITORS[/B]

1.HD DVD Promotional Group Europe members comment on the release of Pan’s Labyrinth in HD DVD

As France’s number one DVD replicator, QOL took an early interest in HD DVD and has state-of-the art facilities for mastering, testing and replicating discs:

"We’re proud to have been selected by Wild Side Video to replicate this outstanding world first Pan’s Labyrinth THX Certified HD DVD. This is a "must", from an artistic and technical point of view, which will mark a new era with which we are glad to be associated."
Laurent Villaume, President, QOL

"The Wild Side High Definition movie, Pan's Labyrinth, features extraordinary audio quality. DTS HD Master Audio delivers the highest possible quality that your home theatre will allow and at over twice the resolution of most standard DVDs. The Pan's Labyrinth HD DVD will also deliver perfect lossless audio identical to the master when you upgrade to a new receiver."
Gerard Loupias, DTS

CMC group is a pioneer in Europe in the area of HD DVD premastering. It is responsible for the achievement of THX certification for both the HD DVD and DVD releases of Pan’s Labyrinth:

“CMC is delighted to produce the DVD and HD DVD discs of Pan’s Labyrinth’s French release. The fact that this project has achieved THX certification is further proof of the overall quality of CMC’s work. And thanks to the numerous advantages of the HD DVD format, we have been able to match the exacting technical standards that have helped establish the enviable reputations of both Guillermo Del Toro’s work and Wild Side Video.”
Denis Auboyer, President of CMC Group

2.What is the significance of THX certification?

From start to finish, every detail of the Pan’s Labyrinth HD DVD was planned and supervised for sound and picture excellence by THX. Technicians performed a comprehensive evaluation of the master, and made recommendations for proper encoding and compression. In addition, the audio elements were fully evaluated to make sure they met proper studio reference levels and remained true to the master recordings.

After encoding and compression was complete, THX applied a variety of quality control techniques to minimize degradation of the visual images and sound elements during the mastering process. This included frame-by-frame analysis of the visuals to ensure they retained the sharpness and detail found in the original master elements. The result of all of this work is a pristine HD DVD presentation.

The Pan’s Labyrinth HD DVD will feature THX Optimizer, an on-screen calibration tool that lets home theatre enthusiasts set their audio systems and HD displays for the best possible playback. THX Optimizer consists of a series of test patterns to adjust colour, tint, contrast and sharpness, as well as check speaker assignments, phase and crossovers on surround systems. Taking only minutes to use, THX Optimizer allows consumers to experience the true impact of the HD DVD presentation

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Not at this time. It was released by New Line in the US and they aren't releasing titles on any HD format. Don't forget that there is NO region coding on HD DVD, so this will playback fine on your machine, you just have to buy the import.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Hey Adam, I posted a little about this in "Where is New Line" thread the other day:

:)

There are some who feel it will not have english subtitles? If so, then the deal is off for me. Please give us some English Subs on this beautiful looking set!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I asked this question in another. I don't think I got an answer, so I'll ask the same question here. Does it have English and French subs or is it French subs only?

Edit: Damn. I didn't see that last line in your post until after I had posted. I guess no one actually knows if it will have English subs. I suppose we just have to wait and see.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Good news and bad news:

"Hi Adam - it doesn’t yet, but an English subtitled version is in the making."

I guess that someone realized that that they were going to miss out on a lot of sales to the US with this version. So we just have to wait a little longer until the English subtitles one is released.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
This is one film I will have no problem double dipping (Already own the SD version), but I will wait for the English sub-titles.

Thanks for the update, Adam.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Yep, this is still GOOD NEWS knowing this release won't be too far off. It will be worth the wait. And it gives us more time to come up with the $75! :D

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
can import or something to indicate that it isnt a U.S. release be in the title?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I would consider the title being in French as a good indicator that it is an import.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Perhaps New Line should simply "get with it" and give the US market a proper HD-DVD/BD release, and we could then avoid all of the subtitle, shipping costs, and other problems so often associated with imports.

I still would like to know what New Line is waiting for. If i'm not mistaken, they were early supporters of the DVD format back in 1997.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Our forum-member send us the full specs (thanks cornelius666!) - French UE/Wild Side Video/Universal:

Extras:
Disc 1
The movie (DVD)
THX certified
"Introduction by director/writer Guillermo del Toro" -featurette (0:35)
Web links (also available with a DVD-ROM player)

Disc 2
The movie (HD-DVD) - 1080p/24fps
Spanish DTS-HD Master 5.1
French DTS-HD HR 5.1
French subtitles (FORCED on spanish soundtrack)
THX certified
"Introduction by director/writer Guillermo del Toro" -featurette (0:35)
Audio commentary with director/writer Guillermo Del Toro

Disc 3
Making Of (45:01)
'Guillermo and the actors of the story' -featurette (13:54)
'Guillermo and the Cannes Labyrinth' -featurette (14:00)
'The Lullaby' -featurette (5:02) (contains 'The Melody Echoes the Fairy Tale' and 'Mercedes lullaby')
'VFX Plate Compare: Guillermo Del Toro and The Green Fairy' -featurette (1:16)
'Sets' -featurette (23:41 total):
- Mill
- Labyrinth
- Tree
- Train
Filmographies:
- Guillermo Del Toro
- Sergi Lopez
- Ariadna Gil
- Ivana Baquero
- Maribel Verdu
- Doug Jones
'Pan and The Fairies (El Fauno y Las Hadas)' -featurette (30:28)
Photo Gallery:
- Movie posters (9 pictures)
- The shooting (27 pictures)
Teasers:
- French teaser (0:38)
- Spanish teaser #1 (0:20)
- Spanish teaser #2 (0:20)
- Spanish teaser #3 (0:10)
Trailers:
- US trailer (2:22)
- French trailer (1:31)
HD-DVD promo trailer (2:43)
Bonus trailers for 'The Snake', 'My Best Friend', 'U' and 'Abandon'
DVD credits (2:00)
DVD-ROM features: 7 storyboard sequences, full movie script

Disc 4
Bonus trailer for 'The Orphanage' (at launch time)
'Guillermo Del Toro by Guillermo Navarro' -interview (26:14)
'The Power of myth' -featurette (14:23)
From drawings to picture (11:06 total, storyboard only or comparison picture/storyboard) :
- Introduction
- Ofelia enters the labyrinth
- Ofelia in front of the tree of the toad
- The death of Ofelia
- The death of the doctor
'Guillermo, the creator' -interview (25:19)
'The color and the shape' -featurette (4:01)
'Guillermo Navarro : the work on the picture' -featurette (10:56)
Drawings gallery:
- Interior subterannean kingdom (39 pictures)
- Exterior subterranean kingdom (34 pictures)
- Interior human kingdom (45 pictures)
- Exterior human kingdom (29 pictures)
DVD credits (2:00)

Disc 5
Original soundtrack CD

Notes:
French title: "Le Labyrinthe de Pan".
Discs are housed in a book replica divided into four chapters (1. The Story, 2. Drawings, 3. Storyboards, 4. Notes about Pan)

Easter Eggs:
1) On disc 3, play the credits until the end to access a DVD comic for 'The Giant Toad'.
2) On disc 3, some of the extras are accessible only if you choose to 'Live the experiment', as available on the main menu, and answer the questions correctly.
These hidden extras are the following :
a) Drawings gallery:
- Pale man (10 pictures)
- Fairies (10 pictures)
- The Faun (19 pictures)
- The accessories (27 pictures)
- The toad (9 pictures)
b) 'Model making' -featurette (4:39)
c) 'The pale man corridor' -featurette (5:41)
d) Make-up gallery :
- The Faun (85 pictures)
- Pale man (28 pictures)
e) Gallery:
- The accessories of the Faun (12 pictures)
- Creation of the mandrake (20 pictures)
- Captain Vidal make-up (3 pictures)
- The toad and the creatures (16 pictures)
3) On disc 4, some of the extras are accessible only if you choose to 'Wander in the labyrinth', as available on the main menu, and answer the questions correctly.
These hidden extras are the following :
"Director's Notebook" interactive feature (video pods):
- Introduction (0:33)
- Lost Character: El Hombre de Madera (2:28)
- Torture of The Maquis (1:47)
- The Mill: Set Design (2:57)
- The Phases of the Moon (2:09)
- Iconography: Echo... Echo.. (3:12)
- The Underground Kingdom: Miniature Construction (2:25)
- The Mill: Set Design (2:57)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks