-

Photo
- - - - -

Playstation 3 1.80 Firmware Update - DVD Upscaling to 1080p, 1080p/24hz support....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 Romier S

Romier S

Producer

• 3,533 posts

Posted May 23 2007 - 03:32 PM

I'm surpised this hasn't been posted. Sony released information on the 1.80 firmware update for the Playstation 3 which adds some rather sought after features. That includes DVD Upscaling via HDMI as well as 1080p/24hz support. On the game front upscaling of PSX/PS2 software has also been added as well as improved streaming support of DNLA devices. Here's the release:

Quote:
LATEST PLAYSTATION 3 FIRMWARE UPDATE ADDS UPSCALING FOR PLAYSTATION/PLAYSTATION 2 GAMES AND DVD MOVIES

Remote Play on PSP (PlayStation Portable) System via Wireless Internet and Access to Media Content via DLNA Technology Also Enabled

FOSTER CITY, Calif., May 23, 2007 – Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) today announced that the next regular system software update for the PLAYSTATION 3 (PS3) computer entertainment system (version 1.80) will be available on Thursday, May 24, and will add upscaling of PlayStation/PlayStation 2 games and DVD movies up to 1080p resolution. Now, in addition to displaying native high-definition (HD) content in the highest possible quality (1080p), PS3 system can turn standard definition content into a vibrant HD-quality experience.

The latest firmware update also gives PS3 owners more flexibility to enjoy their digital entertainment content where they want to. The Remote Play feature for using a PSP (PlayStation Portable) system to access photos, videos, and music on a PS3 system’s hard drive will be available from outside of a user’s own home via any accessible Wi-Fi Internet connection, upon the next PSP firmware update. Additionally, PS3 can now play back media content stored on a personal computer or digital video recorder with Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) capability over a home network.

“As adoption of HDTVs continues to surge, we know that consumers are hungry for content, and this latest firmware update leverages the PS3’s technology to deliver an HD-quality experience using the entertainment media already in your collection,” said Peter Dille, senior vice president of marketing, SCEA. “In addition, we continue to enhance the PS3’s capabilities as an entertainment hub, giving consumers the option to bring their content with them on-the-go, or to stream photos, videos, and music stored on their PC to the PS3 in their living room. That’s often where the largest TV monitor and sound system is located, giving consumers the best possible entertainment experience.”

Upscaling Games and Movies
SCEA is enhancing the PS3 user experience by enabling PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games to be upscaled to HD resolution, up to 1080p. Classic games as well as recently released titles can now be enjoyed like never before. And PS3 system now has the capability to upscale DVD videos to HD quality (up to 1080p), a feature typically limited to top-of-the-line DVD players. Upscaling games requires an HDMI or component AV cable, while upscaling DVD-ROM (including DVD Video content) requires an HDMI cable and HDMI compatible TV set.

Media Content on the Move
Since November, PS3 owners have been able to stream photos, videos, and music stored on their PS3’s hard drive to a nearby PSP system. Consumers will soon have the freedom to access this media content wherever and whenever their PSP is connected to a wireless Internet access point. To take advantage of this feature, users will have to update their PSP system’s firmware to the next version, 3.50, slated for release next week. Once both systems are updated, consumers can enjoy their entertainment content wherever and whenever wireless Internet access is available, including the 7,000 T-Mobile HotSpot locations across the United States.

Other Feature Upgrades

Copying Saved Data to a Memory Card – Users can now copy saved data from PlayStation or PlayStation 2 format software stored on their PS3 system to a Memory Card or Memory Card (8MB) (for PlayStation 2), using their PS3 system and a Memory Card Adaptor.

Photo Printing, Viewing, and Editing – The photo capabilities of PS3 system have been enhanced, allowing users to print digital photos stored on a PS3’s hard drive or inserted storage media. Currently, select Epson printers connected via USB are compatible. In addition, users will find a new type of slideshow for displaying photos, zoom functionality and the option to crop images.

Screenshot of the DVD Upscaling options and more:

Posted Image

The update is up RIGHT NOW! Download it while it's hot.

#2 of 28 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted May 23 2007 - 04:58 PM

Just installed the new firmware.

FOLKS: IT'S BETTER THAN WE EXPECTED!

We get:

1. 1080p24 output from BD discs that are mastered 24p.
2. DVD upscaling over HDMI up to 1080p (my oppo still looks better I think)
3. DVD deinterlacing now fixed with proper 3-2 pulldown (confirmed by testers at AVS. Yes, within a few hours of release!)
4. Settings to allow Blacker than Black (confirmed at AVS) and possibly whiter-than-white.

And best of all for me:

5. 720p output from Blu-ray for those with 720P displays.

I can tell you regarding #5, the image looks sharper, clearner and more detailed than ever on my 720P DLP projector. Wow. Going straight 720p versus 1080i if you have a 720p display gets rid of the "bobbing" softening that takes place in your TV/projector (99% of HD displays deinterlace all 1080i by bobbing with no 3-2 pulldown).

The image looks INCREDIBLE.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

All that's left is to enable bitstream from DTS-HD MA over HDMI or get built-in decoding!

p.s. I put a BD disc in and the PS3 went into auto-play without me having to touch the remote. Wow. Nice touch.
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#3 of 28 Romier S

Romier S

Producer

• 3,533 posts

Posted May 23 2007 - 05:03 PM

Quote:
possibly whiter-than-white.
Not possibly. It's there. There are three new options under "Display"

Cross Color Reduction Filter - On/Off

RGB Full Range (HDMI) - Limited/Full (i.e. Blacker than Black)

Y, Cr, Cb Super White (HDMI) - On/Off (i.e. Whiter than White)

#4 of 28 Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman

Second Unit

• 382 posts

Posted May 23 2007 - 05:36 PM

Regarding the 720p output: I have a Sony XBR CRT that does a max of 1080i. Would I be better off putting it into 720p as well? I have noticed stations that broadcast in 720p do tend to look better on my display. I'm downloading as I type. Excited!!

AJG
"It's been my lifelong ambition to be a movie usher, and I have failed, as far as I am concerned" - Bob Dylan

#5 of 28 Cavan.B

Cavan.B

Stunt Coordinator

• 109 posts

Posted May 23 2007 - 05:40 PM

If your TV is native 1080i, I would leave it at that. Feel free to experiment, but having the TV do conversions is usually something to avoid.
"...the internet is not something you just dump something on. It's not a truck. It's a series of tubes." -- Sen. Ted Stevens (AK)

"Who do you wanna nuke, Barack? Who are you afraid of?" -- Fmr. Sen. Mike Gravel

Those round, shiny things...

#6 of 28 StevenW

StevenW

Second Unit

• 363 posts

Posted May 23 2007 - 05:55 PM

Can someone explain what this "whiter than white" and "blacker than black" means?

#7 of 28 Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman

Second Unit

• 382 posts

Posted May 23 2007 - 06:05 PM

Thing is, I'm pretty sure my set shows 720p at 720p. It's not converting as far as I know. That, or it's native is 540p or something weird. Model is the KV34XBR970.

AJG
"It's been my lifelong ambition to be a movie usher, and I have failed, as far as I am concerned" - Bob Dylan

#8 of 28 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted May 24 2007 - 12:21 AM

Aaron,

try it both ways then and see what looks sharper/better.

On my 720p projector, the 720p option is *clearly* the one to use!

#9 of 28 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted May 24 2007 - 01:12 AM

Wow. I gotta say that I am impressed that Sony put 1080p/24fps on the PS3. I thought that featured had 'up-sell' written all over it. Nice. This update and the Pirates movies are really positioning BD nicely for Q4.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#10 of 28 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,522 posts

Posted May 24 2007 - 01:17 AM

I'll have to give the 720p a shot tonight. I've been feeding my Mits HD1000U (720p proj) the 1080p signal and letting it handle the conversion. I was already happy with the image it threw so I'm curious how much better, if at all, a native signal would really look.

Quote:
Cross Color Reduction Filter - On/Off
And does anyone know exactly what this does?
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#11 of 28 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted May 24 2007 - 01:57 AM

Chris,

no idea what that cross-color-reduction filter is for. Maybe for NTSC output via S-video?

In any case, if your PJ accepts full 1080p input then it would only be a matter of which device had better down-scaling quality to 720. My PJ doesn't accept 1080p so I had to feed it 1080i (until last night) from Blu-rays which resulted in the projector "bobbing" the signal to 540p and then *upscaling* back to 720.

I noticed that going right in at 720 the image is MUCH sharper/more detailed. I'm stunned, actually.

Your PJ was probalby doing a great job to begin with so I'll be interested to hear what you think of trying out 720p input as well.

#12 of 28 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,574 posts

Posted May 24 2007 - 02:01 AM

Still looks like no 720p-->1080i/p scaling for PS3 games. Nice to see the other updates; however, all of them are effectively useless to me. No HDMI equipped set, therefore no upconversion of DVD content. I'm sick of shitty restriction on upconversion over component. The cracking of AACS has proven that crooks are going to copy these discs in the digital domain. So why the continued restriction on the analog output? It is pointless.

BTB and WTW support is great, but of course it only applies to the HDMI output. I'll update, but all of this worthless for owners of older sets.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#13 of 28 Romier S

Romier S

Producer

• 3,533 posts

Posted May 24 2007 - 02:27 AM

As far as the blacker than black option is concerned. Here's a great test to determine which option you should be using:

Quote:
Here's a test for people to see whether or not their display supports the new full range option or not.

First, save this image, and put it on a memory card or something so that you can view it on the PS3:

http://sr-388.net/im.../Brightness.jpg

With the option set to limited, adjust the brightness control on your TV until you can see most/all of the boxes. There are 12 boxes there, but you might not be able to see them all. You should hopefully be able to see at least 9/10 of them.

Now switch it over to Full range. Can you still see all the boxes? It's very likely that you will only see a full black screen now if you're using a HDTV rather than a DVI monitor.

If you can turn up the brightness control and see the same number of boxes again, then it seems your display does support the full range. If it stays black, or you can't see as many boxes as before, your TV does not support the full range option and you should be using limited.

Most HDTVs should have it set to limited.

#14 of 28 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted May 24 2007 - 02:33 AM

Edwin,

it's not Sony's choice, they are following the *law* in regarding restricting upscaled resolutions over component analog (basically any copy-protected DVD they have to restrict to HDMI only for upscaling).

Here's more interesting info about the BTB and WTW situation from AVS:

http://www.avsforum.....

Quote:
Some brief (and rather random ) comments based on my experience so far...

It seems to me that Super-White enables BTB & WTW for YCbCr and RGB Full Range enables it for RGB. It doesn't appear that RGB Full Range is 0-255. I didn't need to change my black level settings when switching it on and off. It only added BTB and WTW. Neither have I noticed BTB and WTW going away depending on the output resolution - at least for DVD.

The YCbCr chroma response for DVDs looks much better at both 480p and 720p output to a PT-AE900U. Chroma used to be noticably down at the highest frequencies compared to RGB. Now YCbCr and RGB look almost identical. A luminance sweep output at 720p was a little more ragged than I was hoping to see, but I didn't really have time to investigate.

1080p24 and 720p output for BD over HDMI are both working very well with the 900U. I don't think it's ever looked better.

Streaming music and pictures from Windows Media Player 11 is also working for me. I haven't tried going the other way yet. As others are experiencing, the PS3 does not like my collection of video files.

Has anyone else noticed the Bitmapping option for SACDs that was added to Music Settings?

Chase

Technical Editor

Performance Media Industries
www.pmiltd.com

#15 of 28 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,608 posts

Posted May 24 2007 - 07:17 AM

Quote:
Still looks like no 720p-->1080i/p scaling for PS3 games.
Bummer.
Double bummer.

Also, looks like all of the upscaling benefits are via HDMI, leaving those of us with older sets that only have component out to dry. Posted Image

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#16 of 28 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted May 24 2007 - 07:34 AM

Agreed it's a bummer that the scaleing won't yet work for games.

But can we all stop complaining and acting surprised about the lack of upscaleing over analog?

That's NOT SONY'S DECISION: They are requried by law to not pass upscaled content over analog that's "copy protected" which includes every DVD that has the macrovision flag set to "on"... virtually all your studio-produced DVDs in your collection.

so it never could have been there. And we shouldn't keep acting like it should have or that we're disappointed to discover that it's not. if you want it changed...then petition the STUDIOS because THEY are the force that's put this requirement to the manufacturers.

Note: the PS3 *** WILL *** upscale unproteced DVD software over analog. So the feature is there when it's legal to do it.

#17 of 28 Brian-W

Brian-W

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted May 24 2007 - 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet
FOLKS: IT'S BETTER THAN WE EXPECTED!

We get:

1. 1080p24 output from BD discs that are mastered 24p.

Dave, when you going to upgrade to a 1080p projector? Given the prices they're at now, you've got no excuse!
* No longer looking for Hi-Vision Laserdiscs *
(I buried that format)

www.16cylinder.com
www.jet-x.com

#18 of 28 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,177 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted May 24 2007 - 02:35 PM

This was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I finally got it. I sampled some SD material upconverted on my Samsung DLP. National Lampoon's Vacation looked pretty good (the HDNet Movies broadcast was better), and even an episode of a 1980s videotaped sitcom, The Golden Girls, looked unbelievable considering the source material.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#19 of 28 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,574 posts

Posted May 24 2007 - 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet
But can we all stop complaining and acting surprised about the lack of upscaleing over analog?

That's NOT SONY'S DECISION: They are requried by law to not pass upscaled content over analog that's "copy protected" which includes every DVD that has the macrovision flag set to "on"... virtually all your studio-produced DVDs in your collection.

so it never could have been there. And we shouldn't keep acting like it should have or that we're disappointed to discover that it's not. if you want it changed...then petition the STUDIOS because THEY are the force that's put this requirement to the manufacturers.

Note: the PS3 *** WILL *** upscale unproteced DVD software over analog. So the feature is there when it's legal to do it.

I'm not surprised, but I am complaining. I'm not singling out SONY and I know it is a law, but IT IS A BAD LAW. And why is that? Because it is not affecting pirates. Right now, there are pirates sitting out there watching upconverted DVDs, because they have copied discs and stripped out the protection. So who does the enforcement of this ridiculous "law" affect? Legitimate owners of purchased content....that's who! Professional pirates, computer literates, and casual pirates can all watch these discs upconverted, but I as a legitimate owner CAN'T! What is wrong with this picture?

AFAIC, Sony, Toshiba, and all other CE manufacturers are as guilty as the studios in perpetuating this farce. They could have stood up to the studios and told them that enforcing this ridiculous upconversion "law" was a waste of time. All of the concerned parties could have finally pulled their collective heads out of their asses and admitted that copy protection is irretrievably broken on DVD.

In other words, stop f$%#ing fooling themselves that non-upconversion of DVD over component is somehow preventing piracy or the watching of upconverted pirated discs. The only thing this shit is doing is preventing legitimate owners, who don't COPY discs, from watching their purchased content in the best resolution possible.

I'm sorry to go off topic like this, but this issue really pisses me off. Right now the PS3 doesn't constantly remind of this issue like my Toshiba does, but I'm sure that the PS3 will just as soon I update my player to this new firmware.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#20 of 28 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,522 posts

Posted May 24 2007 - 04:19 PM

Did a little playing around with 720p and 1080i scaling this evening. I used POTC: Dead Mans Chest chapter 3 since it has some nice background scenery as well as some good facial textures for comparison. For my eyes the scaled 720p image from the PS3 is not as good as the scaled image from the 1080i source. The scaler in my Mits HD1000U seems to do a better job at scaling the 1080i source down to 720p than the PS3 does. The PS3's scaling looked soft and lacked some fine detail resolution.

I also downloaded TwonkyVision to try the new streaming features and really liked what I saw. Streaming home movies, mp3s, and pictures was trivial. Very nice feature and one I'm sure I'll use in the future. I haven't tried using Windows Media Player 11 for streaming yet but it's only my to-do list for the long weekend.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices

Forum Nav Content I Follow