Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

FOX series "Can-Can" May 22 Defective?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted May 23 2007 - 02:49 PM

Can one have trouble playing the new "Can-Can" disc from FOX. I purchased two copies from different retailers ( FRy's and Broaders, no one else had it)and both discs stopped playing half way through disc One.

#2 of 11 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,630 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 23 2007 - 03:27 PM

Mine didn't stop playing, but I had obvious color fluctuations throughout the film. It's incredibly sharp and otherwise looks better than I've ever seen it, but the color timing is wonky!

#3 of 11 William Miller

William Miller

Stunt Coordinator

• 249 posts

Posted May 23 2007 - 03:44 PM

I guess I will post this again since a new thread was started with the same topic as contained in another thread:

The Can-Can good news:

Complete Todd-AO Roadshow with Overture, Intermission and Exit Music.

Eye-popping colors.

Great stereo sound.

Disc 2 has very nice extras.

The bad news:

As previously mentioned, the first thing you see on Disc 1 is a disclaimer that the best possible materials were used. This is not a good sign of things to come. I guess that all they could find for the Roadshow version was a not so hot print. And the problem is that the image is constantly shifting in color registration. Looks perfect and great and then not so great and then wow! and then ecchhh! and then socks fly off and then very dupey looking. But you can watch it and almost handle the big problem because you are finally seeing it correctly and complete. Oh well, that's the way it goes.

My copy played fine. (In the other thread, the question was asked if the disc was recalled) Just because a certain retailer does not have it in stock does not mean it has been recalled. Best Buy does not stock many classic films and Circuit City hardly stocks any. Costco had many copies in stock along with On the Riviera and Pigskin Parade.

#4 of 11 Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,092 posts

Posted May 23 2007 - 06:21 PM

Greg, try playing your Can Can disc on a friend's player. If the disc plays, then perhaps the trouble is with your player and not the disc.

#5 of 11 Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted May 24 2007 - 04:25 PM

I've played the disc on another player and it played through, so it was just that one player (It was an expensive one which displays better color) But it plays fine a SONY player.

#6 of 11 Jefferson

Jefferson

Supporting Actor

• 978 posts

Posted May 25 2007 - 03:45 AM

This is hard to find in my area. I work for a retailer that carries dvds, and we didn't get this title at all....when i checked, quantities in the warehouse had dropped considerably...It led me to wonder if it had been recalled, and this thread makes me wonder even more seriously. hmm...

#7 of 11 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,358 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted May 25 2007 - 04:05 AM

The only problem on Can-Can that I noticed was that the last couple of seconds of the Entr'Acte is abruptly clipped off before the second half commences.

#8 of 11 Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts
  • LocationSaranac Lake, NY

Posted May 30 2007 - 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Ray
The only problem on Can-Can that I noticed was that the last couple of seconds of the Entr'Acte is abruptly clipped off before the second half commences.

I was just about to post the same thing. I got my copy today, and that's the only disappointment I've encountered.

#9 of 11 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,758 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 30 2007 - 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Miller
Just because a certain retailer does not have it in stock does not mean it has been recalled.

I have been unable to find this anywhere. Haven't checked Borders or Barnes & Noble yet. Hope I get that way soon.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#10 of 11 Jefferson

Jefferson

Supporting Actor

• 978 posts

Posted June 04 2007 - 03:22 PM

I still haven't found this in my area...i suppose i'll have to order it.
The only reason I knew about the release was because of a big ad for it in Entertainment Weekly about a month ago...it is pretty scarce, so far.

#11 of 11 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,758 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 04 2007 - 04:21 PM

I got mine at a local FYE (TransWorld store)! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

Forum Nav Content I Follow