Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

LucasFilms says no Star Wars on BD or HD DVD in the near future.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
73 replies to this topic

#1 of 74 ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 07:12 AM

This should come as no surprise to any one. The only odd thing is that they specifically state HD DVD along with BD when this will be a Fox release.

Quote:
Lucasfilm Ltd. has no plans to release any of the Star Wars movies on Blu-ray or HD DVD. Listings on Amazon.com or any other Web site are purely speculative and erroneous."
Star Wars

Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#2 of 74 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 07:17 AM

I imagine if Lucas said "I want these out on HD DVD", Fox would do it. They probably don't have the home video license forever, and what's the use of giving Lucas a reason to take them to Paramount or Universal? (Also: Annoying a multi-billionaire who owns a huge share of the industry's top FX house and recording/mixing stage is probably also not a good idea)
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#3 of 74 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppltd
This should come as no surprise to any one. The only odd thing is that they specifically state HD DVD along with BD when this will be a Fox release.

Lucasfilm has the clout to dictate what formats these films will be released on no matter who is releasing them. They could tell fox to release on both formats and it would happen. Obviously they are dictating NO high def format at this point.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#4 of 74 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Seaver
I imagine if Lucas said "I want these out on HD DVD", Fox would do it. They probably don't have the home video license forever, and what's the use of giving Lucas a reason to take them to Paramount or Universal? (Also: Annoying a multi-billionaire who owns a huge share of the industry's top FX house and recording/mixing stage is probably also not a good idea)

There was talk before the first prequels were released that Lucas might take them to another studio because the Fox contract was up. I don't know how seriously he considered that if at all.

He doesn't just own a part of ILM and Skywalker Sound, he owns them out right. They are not publicly traded companies.

Doug

#5 of 74 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 08:22 AM

I thought as much, but I didn't want to be called wrong if they had minority investors that I didn't know about. The point stands - there's no good that can come of getting on George Lucas's shit list.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#6 of 74 Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,028 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 08:27 AM

This was to be exspected and I am not one bit suprised! I wonder how long Lucas will make everyone wait? Its not like Lucas is waiting to put out another 3 Star Wars films before he releases them in HD. Or is he waiting for Fox to start offering Dolby True HD? I am sure he will never offer Star Wars in DTS-HD Master Audio even though thats what Fox is supporting for the time being. You would think he would want to make as much money of HD as soon as possilbe. I guess sense Lucas has so much money the wishes of the fans mean very little to Lucas. I would not be suprised if summer of 09 rolls around and there is no sign of Star Wars in HD! Posted Image

Well all we need to do is firure out if Lucas is a MS supporter or a Sony supporter?

There is no doubt that when released the audio will be Dolby True HD and not LPCM or DTS-HD Master Audio.

I feel that Star Wars is one of the films that would help drive HD sales.

IMHO movies that would help drive sales of HD players:
Star Wars
Lord Of The Rings
Pirates Of The Caribbean 5/22/07
Spiderman
Harry Potter
The Matrix 5/22/07
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#7 of 74 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz
This was to be exspected and I am not one bit suprised! I wonder how long Lucas will make everyone wait?

I think at the moment Lucas is busy with the 2 or 3 Star Wars TV shows he is working on. There are rumors of Star Wars TV movies or a mini series too.

Doug

#8 of 74 Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppltd
I wouldn't read too much into that. The question was probably asked if Star Wars would arrive on either HD format and it was answered in kind.

I don't think even Lucas could boss Fox into going format neutral. Unless he had distribution rights to 3 more Star Wars films to blackmail them with. For now, Fox has little to gain from him.
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#9 of 74 Daniel-M

Daniel-M

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 08:44 AM

Fox only distibrutes the Star Wars movies. The movies and everything around them is owned 100% by Lucasarts. The reason that Lucas don't want to release Star Wars on HD right now is because the installbase for HD is too small, and he wants a more definite winner. And if Lucas were to release Star WArs on HD-DVD at this point or use TrueHD he could no matter what affiliation Fox has, and Fox would have released them

#10 of 74 Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 08:50 AM

I doubt Lucas could tell Fox what format to support for other films, but Lucas can release Star Wars on whatever format he chooses.

#11 of 74 Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,028 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 09:07 AM

Quote:
I think at the moment Lucas is busy with the 2 or 3 Star Wars TV shows he is working on. There are rumors of Star Wars TV movies or a mini series too.

Actually I hope that is not the case and he is busy doing something else. Is Star Wars all Lucas has left in him? Is Lucas not capable of nothing else besides Star Wars? If Lucas can not expand beyond Star Wars then he is not the great director/story teller he has been made out to be. Granted I still love Star Wars and I grew up with it as a kid. But Lucas needs to do something different and he needs to let us eventually have Star Wars in HD.

I would love to see Star Wars released on Blu-ray using LPCM!
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#12 of 74 John Berggren

John Berggren

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 09:27 AM

There will be no high def Star Wars optical media until the format war has ended, period. The numbers just won't be there for Lucas to justify a Star Wars release until well after that happens.
Support the fight against Multiple Sclerosis as I ride in the 2007 MS 150 in New Bern this September.

Be a Widescreen Advocate

#13 of 74 Austan

Austan

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 09:41 AM

Lucas is a marketing genius!!! He knows to wait until the peak of the bubble before he releases his movies... He releases it now, and what.. 100,000 - 200,000 copies sold... He will wait 3-4 years until one format or the other has millions of potiential buyers...

#14 of 74 Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 09:58 AM

Quote:
Is Star Wars all Lucas has left in him? Is Lucas not capable of nothing else besides Star Wars? If Lucas can not expand beyond Star Wars then he is not the great director/story teller he has been made out to be.

I never thought he was that great of a director myself, but regardless - he's doing what he likes I guess. Personally, I can't imagine spending most of my life working on the same overall project. I mean it seems that Lucas eats, sleeps and breathes Star Wars in everything he does... I figured at some point he'd be sick of it.

#15 of 74 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,962 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 10:20 AM

1) Star Wars would drive sales more than any other release, save classic animated Disney films.

2) Ehhh, whatever Posted Image I have no doubt it'll be years until we get these. They are on my list of wanted titles, but not near the top, so I have much bigger desires. He won't release them until one of the formats breaks out and the install base rises sharply.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#16 of 74 StevenW

StevenW

Second Unit

• 363 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 10:31 AM

I'm so Star Wars burned out I can wait.

#17 of 74 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 10:52 AM

Quote:
Actually I hope that is not the case and he is busy doing something else. Is Star Wars all Lucas has left in him? Is Lucas not capable of nothing else besides Star Wars? If Lucas can not expand beyond Star Wars then he is not the great director/story teller he has been made out to be. Granted I still love Star Wars and I grew up with it as a kid. But Lucas needs to do something different and he needs to let us eventually have Star Wars in HD.

I would love to see Star Wars released on Blu-ray using LPCM!

Well these are the major projects that Lucasfilm is working on at the moment. I know Lucas himself is also working on some films that would be more experimental like the kinds of things he was doing in college. I don't know how wide a release something like that might get.

Doug

#18 of 74 Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 12:27 PM

Quote:
LucasFilms says no Star Wars on BD or HD DVD in the near future.
Man, with that George guy, its "all" about the fans!!!
Fans First, Fan's First, Fan's First.
It's "never" about the $$$.
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#19 of 74 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW
I'm so Star Wars burned out I can wait.

Abso-friggin'-lutley!
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#20 of 74 Norman Matthews

Norman Matthews

Second Unit

• 258 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 02:10 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't read too much into the mention of HD DVD, either. If they had just said they had no plans to release it on Blu-Ray, there'd be all sorts of rampant speculation that he was considering taking it to HD DVD. So it's just easier to rule both out explicitly, even though logically one is probably ruled out from the get-go.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow