What's new

So, what's wrong with Onkyo? (1 Viewer)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Recently, I've noticed a lot of posts which seem to claim that Onkyo is, at best, the Bose of Japan-- overrated, sold alongside junk, what have you.

I have an Onkyo TX-SR502. It's held up, nice ergonomics, but of course, it's not HDMI 1.3 enabled. So, eventually, eventully, I could see myself getting a new receiver. That's my perspective-- and to be honest, I haven't really done much comparison shopping-- I think I bought it on the basis of stellar reviews...

SO, what's wrong with Onkyo? Why are all the other receivers on the market so much better? Don't hold back-- there's plenty of mud here for everyone!

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure where you've been reading the Onkyo bashing but it hasn't been in the threads I've been reading... the current generation Onkyo's (SR604 and up) are considered some of the best entry-level offerings for HDMI receivers w/ HDMI audio support. The upcomming Onkyos look to offer a great range of HDMI 1.3 offerings from the entry level on up to the high end... the SR805 looks EXTREMELY interesting w/ full HDMI 1.3, TrueHD/DTS Master decoding, a 50lb amp section, and THX Ultra 2 cert... all for $999 MSRP, same as the 35lb THX Select SR804.

I'm not seeing the Onkyo bashing at all... and there's definitely no justification if it is indeed going on.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

+1. I loved my 575x (my brother still does!) and my buddy loves his.

What exact posts indicate what you said in your first sentence?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
In the posts that you linked, one person said Onkyo's were like Hyundai's. I liken them more to a Ford F-150. Strong, sturdy, built like a tank and has the features you need to get the job done at an atractive price. I do agree that they are not quite up there in sound quality with Marantz, H/K, Denon and Yamaha, particularly for music, but I often recommend them for movie based systems. BTW, I own an HT-500 (in storage) and a 702 which is in use until I finally make up my mind between Outlaw, Emotiva and Marantz, if I ever do.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I don't know if it's a design "flaw" or just a different result from using the chosen internal components. To me, some receivers are just more "musical" than others. My H/K 520 being the best of what I have. Lite and airy, huge soundstage, tight bass. The music seems to float around the room. Just a pleasure to listen to. My friends Marantz 4600 is near the same but doesn't have quite the "umph" or kick in the pants as the more expensive 520. I'd love to hear an 8500. The Onkyo is more straight forward. The music comes at you all at once and seemingly from the same place. I felt the same way about the Pioneer 1014. Lots of features, good build quality, excellent price. Just didn't sound sound quite right. Keep in mind that these differences are very slight and really only noticeable with music I'm very familiar with, but since I'm 90% music it has to be right. I wouldn't really say there was anything wrong with Onkyo (or Pioneer or any other avr) there are just some brands, or models, that produce a sound that is more appealing to me.

Scott98

Agent
Real Name
Scott
I love onkyo, defently the best bang for the buck.. Im running a HT-R520 and have been for 4 yrs now and not a glitch out of it.. and one I look and see how much systems are that cant even compare to the sound Onkyo can produce its pretty funny.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I haven't as yet had the opportunity to listen to a Sony in my system so I really couldn't say. Edit: In reference to my "generous embrace :) " I was only speaking of sound quality, not overall value, build quality or the strenght (or lack there of) of it's amp section. Hope that better answers your question, without actually answering it! If you know what I mean.

troy evans

Screenwriter
In a word..Nothing!I've had My Onkyo TX-SR701 THX certified receiver for over 3 years now.I've been happy with the sound on all formats,TV,DVD,CD.I am planning to upgrade because I need more HDMI connectivity.Otherwise I'd be content.As far as the post about the guy who bought an Onkyo only to return it for a Yamaha.Yamahas sound better out of the box...a possibility.Yamaha has an almost idiot proof setup.Remember,any receiver or TV has the possibility to look or sound awful until you take the time to calibrate them.In no way shape or form trust an in store display either.I've seen many a great receiver turned into what I call a "LOUD1000"aka a good receiver turned into POS.Simply from a moron setting all the levels too damn high.You're doing the right thing by asking and getting opinions.Bravo!Just at the end of it all go with what YOU need not pressure or opinions from anyones posts Including Mine!Good Luck.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
quite frankly, I do a lot of my listening through "mlt direct" with a sacd player. Levels? What are those? :)

Dingiswayo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
One of the people in the posts you linked said Onkyo "High end? I don't think so." But I think nobody is really claiming that they're high end. They're just really good for the money. I love my entry-level TX-SR604 for the quality it produces for under $400. When I want "high end" in a few years, when I'm making a lot more money, then I'll spend about $2k and get high-end. Until then, lovin' my Onkyo.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I've owned just about all the major brands and while there's truth that there are better receivers out there for more money Onkyo's are a solid choice and are very easy to use. Truth be told modern receivers all sound more alike then dissimilar and you won't likely be dissapointed with any of the name brand models unless its an ergonomics issue (which can make or break a design IMO).

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
Maybe the NR1000 @ $5000 could be considered expensive for an Onkyo. :>) If it had the "Integra Research" name on it, then it would be considered high end, at least by Onkyo.

In my experience with the company and its products the past seven years or so, the equipment is actually pretty good, at least competitive with other brands at its various price points. It's their "customer service" that really sucks.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser

Onkyo > Bose

Toilet Paper > Bose

Sony > Bose (now that says something! ;) )

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks