Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Want help generating a short list of Receivers

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Bob Sisson

Bob Sisson

• 37 posts

Posted May 19 2007 - 10:00 AM

Its time to build a new theater... Wow and Ouch at the same time... It will be Projector based, but that is a whole nother discussion... What I am looking for is help creating a short list of receivers with the following features... HDMI In/out - A MUST Network connectivity (HUGE MP3 library, net radio) Only need 5.1, 7.1 would give me a separate Stereo for other use (multi-room) Preamp out for Sub (isn't this standard) Microphone for automatic room compensation 1080 conversion On screen display of everything in all modes Work well with comcast HD DVR Work well with Dish network HD DVR POWER ! More is better I don't need lots and lots of inputs, over the many years, and many theater rooms, I have learned we only USE 2 inputs, Satellite and DVD. The MP3's will be played if I have multi-room capability. I loved Steve Hopkins list, but it was a lot to look up.... Hey Steve... how does my dream list look to you ?
Bob Sisson
Keeper of the Dragon and other things at Redwall

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   FeisalK

• 1,245 posts

Posted May 19 2007 - 05:13 PM

I would take network connectivity out and leave that to standalone equipment like the Squeezebox or Soundbridge, or even Sonos (multiroom capability). There's more flexibility that way and I've not read about a receiver with a network connection that's got as great an interface as the SB (for scrolling through songs or playlists etc etc)
DVD-A registry for hirez/surround audio
Bluray, DVD-Audio, DAD/HDAD, DualDisc, MVI

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   John Brill

John Brill

Supporting Actor

• 519 posts

Posted May 22 2007 - 06:47 AM

What are you looking at total budget wise and what do you need?

I usually advocate a 1:1:1 ratio (video, electronics, speakers) for beginers which you don't sound like one.

1080p projectors will run you about $2.5k-$5k (I really like the Panasonic models if you care for an opinion Posted Image)

As for receivers, there is a plethora of choice in the $1-2k range that will easily meet your needs. If your budget is much higher than that, the world is your oyster.

For MP3 solutions, I have 2 and neither require the receiver to have a network connection. One is a Logitech Wireless DJ Music system which works well. The bonus of this option is the on remote display of your music library. I also have an 80 gig Ipod that houses my entire music collection at 320kps. Unfortunately, my receiver did not have a dedicated docking station for Ipods so I have an aftermarket one that doesn't do on-screen display.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   MikeNg

Second Unit

• 440 posts

Posted May 22 2007 - 08:00 AM

Consider the Denon AVR-4308CI when it comes out. It will do most of what you are wanting, if not all. Not sure what the upconversion is, but really if you're want the BEST upconversion you shouldn't expect it in an AVR. My experience with Denon's upconversion has been just OK. If you want a single unit to do all you are asking, it will be a short list indeed...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users