Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WANTED: MCHALE'S NAVY (1964) AND MCHALE'S NAVY JOINS THE AIRFORCE (1965)!!!!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 of 35 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted May 19 2007 - 03:49 AM

Posted Image

Well with the DVD release of the entire first season (1962-63) of MCHALE'S NAVY (ABC 1962-66) now completed is it too early to expect Universal Studios Home Entertainment to similarly make available the two technicolour feature film incarnations MCHALE'S NAVY (1964) and MCHALE'S NAVY JOINS THE AIRFORCE (1965) utilizing newly restored and digitally remastered anamorphic widescreen source elements (perhaps as a combo set)?

A nice addition would be the two theatrical trailers as well.

This would make for a great Summer time (in 2007!) release.

How about it Universal? Let's get the lead out and start making available some (more) of the fun stuff that this motion picture company built a reputation on over the years.

Maybe this should have been posted in the feature film discussion forum?!

Note: Both MCHALE'S NAVY (1964) and MCHALE'S NAVY JOINS THE AIRFORCE (1965) were previously issued on VHS through Universal as part of its Comedy Classics series.

Jeff T.

#2 of 35 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted May 19 2007 - 05:07 AM

shout factory put out the first season of McHale's Navy. This is probably not a good sign for a double feature DVD that Universal felt more comfortable letting another company handle the title. At least when the put out the Munsters double feature, it was after the second season came out.

Although seeing how Ted Bessell was in McHale's Navy Joins the Air Force, It might be good for Shout Factory to put out the double feature when they wrap up releasing all 4 seasons of McHale and the fifth season of That Girl.
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#3 of 35 OFFLINE   Firebee

Firebee

Supporting Actor

• 759 posts

Posted May 19 2007 - 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffT.
Posted Image

Well with the DVD release of the entire first season (1962-63) of MCHALE'S NAVY (ABC 1962-66) now completed is it too early to expect Universal Studios Home Entertainment to similarly make available the two technicolour feature film incarnations MCHALE'S NAVY (1964) and MCHALE'S NAVY JOINS THE AIRFORCE (1965) utilizing newly restored and digitally remastered anamorphic widescreen source elements (perhaps as a combo set)?

A nice addition would be the two theatrical trailers as well.

This would make for a great Summer time (in 2007!) release.

How about it Universal? Let's get the lead out and start making available some (more) of the fun stuff that this motion picture company built a reputation on over the years.

Maybe this should have been posted in the feature film discussion forum?!

Note: Both MCHALE'S NAVY (1964) and MCHALE'S NAVY JOINS THE AIRFORCE (1965) were previously issued on VHS through Universal as part of its Comedy Classics series.

Jeff T.

I was never aware of these movies! I'd go for that on DVD! Posted Image

I also have not enough time to watch all of these DVDS:

http://www.invelos.c....aspx/fire26bee

#4 of 35 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted May 20 2007 - 01:45 AM

Posted Image

Universal doesn't seem to have the same (cautious) trepidation and reluctance to release its vintage film libary on DVD as it does its older tv series so that the company could very well issue a MCHALE'S NAVY (1964) and MCHALE'S NAVY JOINS THE AIRFORCE (1965) combo DVD in time...the sooner the better!

Shout! Factory may well make these two feature films available perhaps in the form of bonus extras or its own doublebill combo set something we will just have to wait and see what precisely develops on this.

It seems to me that a Universal Studios Home Entertainment DVD release of these two MCHALE'S NAVY films can only help sales of the tv series in that it could constructively serve as a sampler to the uncommitted of just what can be expected from the actual show itself.

Nostalgically reflecting back, both the MCHALE'S NAVY feature films were theatrically released in mid-June (of 1964 and 1965 respectively) just before Summer vacation school closing and at the Saturday afternoon matinee screenings that I personally attended played to an enthusiastic and responsive packed house which (from my recollections) obviously enjoyed these movies immensely.

Jeff T.

#5 of 35 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,029 posts

Posted May 20 2007 - 03:56 AM

Has there ever been a more one-note comedian than Tim Conway? Every one of his own shows was a huge bomb, and then Carol Burnett allowed him to kill off her long-running show, for reasons I've never understood.

#6 of 35 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted May 20 2007 - 04:41 PM

Well, Tim Conway certainly seems to be a popular topic of discussion on this forum lately doesn't he?

Tim actually won 3 Emmy Awards for his work on THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW (CBS 1967-78) integrating himself much better into the cast lineup of featured regulars than Dick Van Dyke did to be sure.

However, it is his enjoyable role as the bumblingly inept Ensign Charles Parker on MCHALE'S NAVY which interests me the most and he certainly made an excellent foil for the late Joe Flynn (November 08th, 1924 - July 08th, 1974).

I think that Tim Conway embodied a modest, unassuming likeability that tv audiences at the time positively responded to and found to be endearing.

Some of these pioneering television comedies of the (early) 1960s were carrying the "Comedy of the Outrageous" to wildly new and audaciously offbeat extremes (MCHALE'S NAVY predates GILLIGAN'S ISLAND, HOGAN'S HEROES, GREEN ACRES, GET SMART and the like)...which considering the conservatively staid and narrowly apathetic viewing television audiences at the time is absolutely hilarious if one thinks about it! Something highly venerated like the World War Two global conflict being subjected to ridicule and a source of mirthful fun?!

But I don't profess to be an expert on comedy as I consider SF to be more my forte.

This all brings to mind a needlessly scathing review of the MCHALE'S NAVY tv series in a recent DVD TALK online review where the writer betrayed his absolute contempt for the show but succeeded in merely making an absolute fool of himself instead. If one doesn't like a particular tv series than why bother to discuss it in the first place? Simple logic.

Certainly there are worse evils in the world than this (once) popular (and innocuous) 1960s sitcom (and Tim Conway for that matter) and there are also far worst tv sitcoms. Just turn on the television set and start watching at one's pleasure to confirm this.

Jeff T.

#7 of 35 OFFLINE   bobraleigh

bobraleigh

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted May 20 2007 - 04:56 PM

i recently picked up MN and so far i am surprised at how well it has aged.

i expected it to be badly dated, but to me , i found it as funny as when i watched it syndication as a kid.

i recently rented anything but love series from netflix as i enjoyed that show also, but it has dated, badly. i couldn't even watch the whole disc.

glad i rented that first. MN clearly has pro's acting in it, and the material i think is timeless and universal where as ABL clearly is a product of the '80's and relies too much on "contemporary" humor and situations.

hope season 2 of MN comes out.

#8 of 35 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 04:36 PM

Oh I concur with the previous poster completely!

I very much wanted MCHALE'S NAVY to be made available on DVD and will continue collecting it through to the very end. Incidentally there were 136 black-and-white half hour episodes produced over a span of four years during this show's successful run in primetime on the ABC Television Network.

I am sure that Shout! Factory is committed to releasing this (now) classic 1960s sitcom in its entirety (on a yearly basis in much the same manner which the THAT GIRL tv series has been) but it certainly doesn't hurt to express some interest.

I wish that I could be as certain of a (impending) DVD release of the two MCHALE'S NAVY feature films though.

One thing that can be (positively) said about Tim Conway is that he participated in the oncamera reunion with some of the other surviving cast members which made for an excellent additional bonus special feature. It's unfortunate that Gavin McLeod (who achieved phenominal fame and success on television later on in his career) couldn't have found the time to similarly do likewise.

Tim's next tv series produced just after MCHALE'S NAVY the shortlived Western spoof RANGO (ABC 1967) was likely an attempt to recapture some of the popularity (and fan following) from his previous success and in retrospect it would have been far better just to continue on with MCHALE'S NAVY for a fifth season.

But network programmers back then weren't exactly the brightest often cancelling established tv shows which were still doing well enough in the audience ratings with the smug confidence that there would always be worthwhile and interesting programs of genuine merit and quality continually produced to satisfactorily replace them. HA!

Jeff T.

#9 of 35 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted May 22 2007 - 02:33 AM

I enjoy watching a McHale's Navy with a Gilligan's Island. It's a tropical double feature.

That Girl was released every 6 months - but they pushed back season 3 to August. Hopefully this Fall they'll have season 2 coming out of McHale.

In a business where you don't spend too much money to advertise a show, having a regular release cycle - such as either once a year or semi-annual so that folks have a sense of when it's time to look for the latest season. I'm not sure how computer savvy the main fans of a show like McHale's Navy are. Parmount had no problem releasing all 6 seasons of Hogan's Heroes in a little over 2 years.
come see the reviews at

#10 of 35 OFFLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 861 posts
  • LocationI.E.,So Cal

Posted May 24 2007 - 01:49 AM

They did it with the Munster's movies.
...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player; Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box; Panamax Line Conditioner.

#11 of 35 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted May 26 2007 - 01:51 AM

Well, that's true of course but both seasons of THE MUNSTERS (CBS 1964-66) had already been released (long) before THE MUNSTERS movie doublebill DVD finally came out.

Unfortunately the excellent theatrical trailer presided by Fred Gwynne (July 10th, 1926 - July 02nd, 1993) for MUNSTER, GO HOME! (1966) wasn't included in this (generally acceptable) two film combo package which was a great disappointment.

When (or rather if) a MCHALE'S NAVY movie doublebill DVD release ever comes about this oversight will hopefully not be repeated.

Incidentally, the reverse side of the box design for the first season MCHALE'S NAVY 5-disc set featuring two colour stills with Tim Conway and Joe Flynn are actually taken from the MCHALE'S NAVY JOINS THE AIRFORCE (1965) feature film.

Jeff T.

#12 of 35 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted July 08 2007 - 04:42 AM

Posted Image

The above image is online at AMAZON.COM (U.S.).

I am going to do my utmost to establish this as 'the' discussion thread for Shout! Factory's MCHALE'S NAVY tv series DVD releases!

Well the above is the finalized packaging design for the impending MCHALE'S NAVY - SEASON TWO 5-disc set due out this September 11th, 2007 (which is shaping up as a hefty day for interesting classic film and tv series DVD releases).

I had the occasion to start viewing my first season (1962-63) 5-disc set over the weekend and it was just great! The source elements look like newly restored and digitally remastered video transfers (except for the occasional minor image blemishing).

The first four episodes that I watched were delightfully entertaining and I found myself genuinely laughing at the hillarious shenanigans and witty non-secutor dialogue especially because of Tim Conway's marvellous performance as Ensign Charles Parker and of course Joe Flynn's officiously irascable and aggressively belligerant Captain Wallace B. Binghamton ("I could just scream!").

Frankly, I like this show much better than tired, over-exposed and over-rated ennui like HOGAN'S HEROES and GET SMART both of which have similarly been afforded DVD issue. In other words "Comedy of the Obvious." Neither of which I ever found to be particularly funny in the least!

Highly recommended for this classic 1960s sitcom's fans!

Well with the release of the entire four seasons now a (likely) certainty let's hope that similar good fortune will apply to both the MCHALE'S NAVY feature films as well.

Jeff T.

#13 of 35 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted July 08 2007 - 08:11 AM

Shout! Factory would do best if they can included each film as a bonus feature on the Season 3 & 4 DVD sets.
come see the reviews at

#14 of 35 OFFLINE   Hank Dearborn

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor

• 715 posts

Posted July 08 2007 - 08:48 AM

Just started watching it today myself. I'm very glad Universal licensed this out because if not it would have been another one and done like most of their TV releases.

#15 of 35 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted July 08 2007 - 11:38 AM

If they release a complete series set after season 4 is released it would seem natural for the movies to be included as extras. Of course that would make everyone who bought the season sets angry.

On another topic, does anyone know why Ernest Borgnine is not in Mchale's Navy Joins the Airforce ?

#16 of 35 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts

Posted July 08 2007 - 06:51 PM

He was filming another movie at the time.

#17 of 35 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted July 08 2007 - 08:00 PM

What I would like to know is was the script for MCHALE'S NAVY JOINS THE AIRFORCE (1965) written with the knowledge that Ernest Borgnine wouldn't be participating or was it initially conceived with McHale being as part of the story?

Why wasn't Carl Ballantine in MCHALE'S NAVY JOINS THE AIRFORCE? It may something to do with the fact that film primarily focussed on Tim Conway and Joe Flynn and the PT-73 crew was deemed less important and an unncessary element to the story. They are not really in the film all that much.

Were there ever any plans for a third film after the completion of the fourth (1965-66) and final season? As I already stated both MCHALE'S NAVY feature motion pictures played to a packed house at the Saturday afternoon matinee screenings that I attended.

These are questions that will never be asked to the principals involved.

If you (all) recall in the MCHALE'S NAVY (surviving) cast reunion it was mentioned that although the series was still doing well in the ratings it wasn't renewed for a fifth season because Universal (?) felt that the show had no future in syndication because it was filmed in black-and-white. What a waste of a great ensemble cast and still enjoyable television show.

Glad to see interest in this enjoyable 1960s tv classic!

Jeff T.

#18 of 35 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted April 14 2008 - 07:41 AM

Posted Image

Well with the recent release of the MCHALE'S NAVY - SEASON THREE 5-disc set earlier this year it is conceivable that a fourth (and final) season (1965-66) release could be forthcoming later in 2008 completing the entire show.

That still leaves the two Universal Pictures produced MCHALE'S NAVY technicolour feature films outstanding.

How about a Summer 2008 doublebill DVD release of MCHALE'S NAVY (1964) and MCHALE'S NAVY JOINS THE AIRFORCE (1965) (in digitally enhanced anamorphic widescreen) with the inclusion of the original theatrical trailers?

Has SHOUT! FACTORY specifically made any mention of these two films? Albeit I still think that Universal Studios Home Entertainment will distribute these two film properties on DVD itself.

Jeff T.

#19 of 35 OFFLINE   Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted April 14 2008 - 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffT.
Well with the recent release of the MCHALE'S NAVY - SEASON THREE 5-disc set earlier this year it is conceivable that a fourth (and final) season (1965-66) release could be forthcoming later in 2008 completing the entire show.

That still leaves the two Universal Pictures produced MCHALE'S NAVY technicolour feature films outstanding.

How about a Summer 2008 doublebill DVD release of MCHALE'S NAVY (1964) and MCHALE'S NAVY JOINS THE AIRFORCE (1965) (in digitally enhanced anamorphic widescreen) with the inclusion of the original theatrical trailers?

Has SHOUT! FACTORY specifically made any mention of these two films? Albeit I still think that Universal Studios Home Entertainment will distribute these two film properties on DVD itself.

Jeff T.

It probably comes down to whether Shout! can get these two films from Universal or if Universal decides to release them. The closest precedent that I can think of is the two "The Munsters" films, one theatrical, one made-for-TV that involved cast members from the original series. Uni originally licensed them to budget label Goodtimes and then later released them under its own label . . . . .

Amazon.com: The Munsters: Two-Movie Fright Fest - (Franchise Collection) - (Munster, Go Home! & The Munsters' Revenge): Fred Gwynne,Al Lewis (III),Yvonne De Carlo,K.C. Martel,Jo McDonnell,Bob Hastings,Peter Fox,Herb Voland,Charles Macaulay,Colby Ches

So, assuming that the theatrical prints are in good shape, I'd guess that we'll see them at some point, though I think it'll come at a point after all seasons of the series are released. Strangely, the two "Munsters" films on the Goodtimes label were released prior to Universal's release of the TV series.

#20 of 35 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted August 21 2008 - 07:46 AM

Posted Image

The above image is online at AMAZON.COM (U.S.).

Well the fourth and final season (1965-66) of MCHALE'S NAVY will be released on November 18th, 2008 and that pretty much finishes the tv show albeit the two MCHALE'S NAVY feature films are still outstanding.

Perhaps we can now look forward to a (possible) 2009 Summer release which is certainly fine with me!

This fourth season is interesting in that the show completely jumps-the-track in its established format and relocates Lt. Commander McHale and Company to (of all places) the coastal town of Voltefiore in Italy (?)!

It is also significant that Gavin MacLeod (Crewman Happy Haines) who was a series regular from the very beginning in addition to being in both MCHALE'S NAVY feature films has dropped out of the show.

The Summer ABC Television Network reruns for this final season consisted exclusively of episodes drawn from the three previous seasons and the 30 season four segments would only be aired in primetime just once each during their first run.

A pretty good indication that viewers just didn't favourably respond to all the dramatic changes and radical shift in locale.

Jeff T.

Forum Nav Content I Follow