Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Speaker Wire?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 John_Yanotka

John_Yanotka

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted May 18 2007 - 07:57 AM

I have been looking all over the internet about speaker wire. What should I look into buying for my new Paradigm Monitors and Onkyo receiver? What about connectors? Spades or banana plugs?

#2 of 4 JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,452 posts

Posted May 18 2007 - 10:55 AM

Bare wire typically gives the best connection, but it is a pain to disconnect and reconnect, if you need to. Most folks here seem to be addicted to connectors of one type or another, but bare wire the the way to go for me.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#3 of 4 Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted May 18 2007 - 12:16 PM

I use banana plugs on the receiver end, and bare wire on the speaker end.
Check on 12 ga. or 14 ga. speaker wire from Lowe's or Home Depot. You can get a 100 ft. spool for a little over $20, and it works great.......... Posted Image
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#4 of 4 joseph westcott

joseph westcott

Second Unit

• 355 posts

Posted May 20 2007 - 01:23 PM

I use broadcast quality wire and cables from Blue Jean cables. The speaker wires are rated for in wall installation which is important for insurance reasons if you plan to run it in the wallsbaseboards.

Fair price with no snake oil.

I use spade plugs at the speaker and locking bannana plugs at the receiver.