Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HD-DVD players PAL/NTSC issue?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Martin S

Martin S

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 11:09 PM

Excuse me if this is a basic question that any idiot should know but I'm new to all this. As I'm thinking of getting an HD-DVD player, as opposed to Blu-RAy because of the region encoding issue (I stay in the UK..nuff said!!), I remember reading somewhere that there might be issues with players, that are basically PAL, not playing an NTSC encoded disc as a sort of double protection region encoding move. Any truth in this as I'd hate to get an HD-DVD player and find I couldn't play discs from the US.?
Cheers folks.

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Marko Berg

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

• 856 posts

Posted May 18 2007 - 01:53 AM

HD DVD software is region free since no region-encoding system exists on the platform. The hardware, however, will enforce region encoding on standard definition DVDs; therefore, HD DVD players sold in North America will only play back Region 1 standard DVDs, and European HD DVD players will only play back Region 2 standard DVDs.

PAL/NTSC is not really the issue, the region encoding is.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,666 posts

Posted May 18 2007 - 11:19 AM

But they will play HD DVDs from all regions - because there are no regions.

BD-players however, support region coding (labeled "A", "B" and "C"). Posted Image

Cees

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Ensign Eddie

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted February 21 2008 - 07:16 AM

I'm looking at this from the other side. There are several HD-DVDs from the UK I want to purchase before they all disappear. One of those is "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" (mostly for completeness).

Looking at Amazon UK's page for it, it lists the format as PAL. Now, I know that the main feature should play all right on my HD-A2. But does the disk have 480i supplements like the American version? If so, are they in PAL and unviewable?

Since I already have the American disk, I have the supps covered. But I was just curious if anyone knows if the PAL/NTSC thing affects them.

Thanks.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,666 posts

Posted February 21 2008 - 07:44 AM

Yes, if supplements are in SD, they could be PAL or NTSC and on European releases often be PAL, one would say.
However, in the case of HD DVDs this isn't even sure, because most (if not all) sets in Europe support NTSC as well, so they could be NTSC without anyone noticing it.
Unfortunately, I don't know the proper answer in the specific case of 'HP and the PS'.

Cees

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted February 21 2008 - 07:47 AM

No, it doesn't. People see HD and automatically think it means 1080i/p, but HD also applies to the transmission standard, regardless of resolution. The supps will play just fine, but why not buy Philosopher's Stone from Canada and save yourself a few bucks?
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Ensign Eddie

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted February 21 2008 - 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H
No, it doesn't. People see HD and automatically think it means 1080i/p, but HD also applies to the transmission standard, regardless of resolution. The supps will play just fine,

Great! I love learning new stuff. Posted Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H
but why not buy Philosopher's Stone from Canada and save yourself a few bucks?

Because I didn't know they had it as well. Darn! Unfortunately it's already on it's way. Posted Image

Thanks for the info, nonetheless. Next time I'll remember to look there first.

Forum Nav Content I Follow