-

Photo
- - - - -

Where Is New Line Cinema? - Merged, also see post #72

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
150 replies to this topic

#141 of 151 OFFLINE   Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted January 22 2008 - 05:41 AM

Out of that list, I would purchase The Lord of the...

Oh, never mind.

Come on, New Line. LOTR in '08. It's the reason I have a home theater.

--Jefferson Morris
"If fakes, they were masterpieces."

--The New York Times commenting on Willis O'Brien's dinosaurs in The Lost World (1925).

"From the two trailers I've seen, the movie looks like AIDS."--Recent thread post on AICN

#142 of 151 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,203 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 22 2008 - 05:45 AM

Here is Roger Ebert's actual statement at the end of his Great Movie review of Dark City back in November 2005:

"Ebert did commentary tracks for the original DVD of "Dark City" and the forthcoming 2006 Director's Cut."

Obviously, it's now the 2008 Director's Cut. Posted Image

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#143 of 151 OFFLINE   DavidS

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted January 22 2008 - 05:57 AM

The annoying part in all of this is that the 10th anniversary of Dark City came and went, and New Line did nothing.

I was thinking of another New Line title I'd love DTS-HD/MA on: Hedwig.
-David Shetterly
Rocky Horror Picture Show Official Fan Club
Vice President / www.RockyHorror.com Webmaster

#144 of 151 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,522 posts

Posted January 22 2008 - 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
Here is Roger Ebert's actual statement at the end of his Great Movie review of Dark City back in November 2005:

"Ebert did commentary tracks for the original DVD of "Dark City" and the forthcoming 2006 Director's Cut."

Obviously, it's now the 2008 Director's Cut. Posted Image

Posted Image Awesome! Now lets pray they include it. Posted Image
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#145 of 151 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,496 posts

Posted February 05 2008 - 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Barratt
Additional titles not shown on the earlier list (many of which I would be interested in):

Blast From the Past

This was my very first DVD, and I would certainly love it if New Line brought this to BD as well. Is there anything yet on this title?

#146 of 151 OFFLINE   Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted February 10 2008 - 12:48 PM

All I need is Lord of the Rings and The New World, and I'll maybe pick up A History of Violence.

Do we have any confirmation on these?

There are existing extended versions of all those films, too, if New Line really wanted to make a splash on Blu-Ray...

EDIT: Ooooh, and Dark City!

#147 of 151 OFFLINE   Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted February 11 2008 - 04:02 PM

It's been long-rumored that high-def encodes of LOTR have been completed for some time, in anticipation of a disc release. I've still got my fingers crossed that they'll be out by the fall/holidays, but there's certainly nothing in the least official on that yet.

Nearly a year ago I bought my first front projector and screen in anticipation of LOTR in high-def. I'm hoping the imminent end of the format war will hasten the release. What I'd like to see is at least some kind of release this year (with the EEs and theatrical cuts available via branching). Then they can do some sort of 10th anniversary edition of LOTR in 2011 (when I imagine The Hobbit may be coming out on video, assuming a 2010 theatrical release there). I'll buy them all because I'm a sucker and need help.

--Jefferson Morris
"If fakes, they were masterpieces."

--The New York Times commenting on Willis O'Brien's dinosaurs in The Lost World (1925).

"From the two trailers I've seen, the movie looks like AIDS."--Recent thread post on AICN

#148 of 151 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,686 posts

Posted February 11 2008 - 06:53 PM

Some form of encodes have been done, because the Trilogy has been shown on HD cable and OTA. Don't know if they're high enough quality to be put on BD...

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#149 of 151 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,204 posts

Posted February 12 2008 - 11:35 AM

I can not wait for LOTR to hit HDM, I am counting the days until I can own this title on HDM. This is a title that I would buy before anything else I could think of. So what ever comes out the same week that LOTR's is released in HD will have to wait. Posted Image
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#150 of 151 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,007 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted February 12 2008 - 03:35 PM

I guess my question in relation to the title of this thread is: Where will New Line Cinema be if Time Warner absorbs it into Warner or leaves it as merely a production company? Will the New Line HE division continue?
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#151 of 151 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H
I guess my question in relation to the title of this thread is: Where will New Line Cinema be if Time Warner absorbs it into Warner or leaves it as merely a production company? Will the New Line HE division continue?
I don't really know if they had a separate home entertainment division. If so, they will merely continue under the WHV label. If not, well, they're already under the WHV label. It's doubtful that it would have any effect on their operations with Mi Casa.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

Forum Nav Content I Follow