Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Where Is New Line Cinema? - Merged, also see post #72

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
150 replies to this topic

#41 of 151 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_K
Hope it's the extended cuts, otherwise I might pass.
I would pass, no way am I buying the theatrical runs again, there incomplete. I own the theatrical's and never watch'em.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#42 of 151 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Roer
Jim,

I definitely understand that. But like you stated about the Lord of the Rings trilogy, you won't be purchasing if it's not the extended editions and neither will I. And I'm sure there are a great many others who won't. Will there be enough theatrical sales to warrant releasing them? I don't know. But I do know that right now the current purchasers of HD DVD and Bluray (for the most part) are film fans - people who will most likely be more interested in extended cuts of the films.

The only reason I own King Kong on HD right now is because I prefer the theatrical to the extended. That isn't the case with Lord of the Rings. And from what I hear and read, it seems many would agree.

Cheers,

Jason

I like the extended cut of Fellowship and Two Towers better than the theatrical cut. However I like the theatrical cut of Return of the King better than the extended. I thought the extended dragged quite a bit on that one. I would prefer that they have both versions of the film in a branching form.

I'm also not a big fan of the extended cut of Terminator 2. The theatrical cut was just about perfect, but when they added the cut material I felt the film lost something in the pacing. Sometimes adding stuff doesn't make a better film.

I haven't seen the extended cut of King Kong.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#43 of 151 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,335 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 04 2007 - 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce
Sometimes adding stuff doesn't make a better film.
Amen. Although I like most of the stuff added to Terminator 2. Posted Image

#44 of 151 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
Amen. Although I like most of the stuff added to Terminator 2. Posted Image

I liked the scenes on their own....but when added I thought it changed the pace of the over all film and not in a good way. Interestingly I thought the extended cut of Aliens is a MUCH better film from the theatrical cut, as is The Abyss.

Doug

#45 of 151 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed St. Clair
I'm guessing:
How much does it cost to master one "LotR" film, a million?
How many copies would NL sell, 100,000?
If NL made $10US on every copy sold, where is the profit?
I guess the question is do they need remastering? Being fairly new releases, and with all of the work done to produce the extended versions, it might be that the masters are in excellent shape for HD transfers.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#46 of 151 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 06:39 AM

Quote:
I like the extended cut of Fellowship and Two Towers better than the theatrical cut. However I like the theatrical cut of Return of the King better than the extended. I thought the extended dragged quite a bit on that one. I would prefer that they have both versions of the film in a branching form.

I'm also not a big fan of the extended cut of Terminator 2. The theatrical cut was just about perfect, but when they added the cut material I felt the film lost something in the pacing. Sometimes adding stuff doesn't make a better film.

I haven't seen the extended cut of King Kong.

Doug
I can agree about T2. As for the LotR, I thought the EE of TTT dragged but not RotK. I will say that even though TTT dragged it was still better then the theatrical.

Hopefully they'll do the branching with the HD set but I highly doubt it. I'm willing to lay money down that we see the theatrical first and then 6 months later the EE's, maximizing profits for the greedy.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#47 of 151 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,613 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 06:41 AM

Quote:

Doug I am with you 100% on your assessment of the LOTR films. To me the film that benefited most from an extended cut was Fellowship with Two Towers close behind. I don't really think Return needed to be any longer.

I don't disagree with you about T2 either, but from my perspective it is kind of a wash. It has been a while since I watched them, but I remember thinking "ehh." They seem about equal to me.

#48 of 151 OFFLINE   Jason Roer

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor

• 977 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 07:05 AM

Quote:

Agreed that Fellowship benefited most from the extended edit. In fact, though it was 30 minutes+ longer, it felt swifter and better paced. Although I enjoyed all 3 extended cuts better than the theatricals.

I will disagree with Terminator 2. I love the extended scenes, particularly the scene where they deal with the chip in the T1000's head. It felt like a nice breather from some of the action and added to the mythology a bit. I remember falling in love with the extended cut the first time I saw it - way back on VHS! I think my parents still have it somewhere!

Cheers,

Jason

#49 of 151 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppltd
I guess the question is do they need remastering? Being fairly new releases, and with all of the work done to produce the extended versions, it might be that the masters are in excellent shape for HD transfers.
You missed this post earlier in the thread:
Quote:
Mind you, this is not an easy encode where you fire the encoder and the next day ship the title. Care is needed to get the absolute best quality. Fortunately, while I can’t say much about LOTR in public, I can tell you that a ton of care is being applied to its encoding. And the results are very nice from what I hear.

"I don't know about you, but I don't want to see how bad that will look. So to do this title justice and with a lossless track (LOTR deserves no less), this would need to be on 2 discs."

Per above, I think you will be impressed with the quality. I know the title will not get released unless it looks great. Given the fact that NL is taking its time with getting this title encoded, you don’t have to worry here. And their standards are quite high. We didn’t let you down with Matrix. I hope you trust us that we won’t mess with this symbol of home theater either.
Now do you think they can make ten bucks a disc (film/title)?
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#50 of 151 OFFLINE   PattyFraser

PattyFraser

Second Unit

• 314 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 08:21 AM

RotK EE spoilers below!

I love the extended FotR and TTT. Rotk does need to have the extra moments between Pippin and Faramir (to set up Pippin's particular concern for him later) and even though the Houses of Healing scenes should have been expanded upon, I wouldn't miss Faramir beginning to fall for Eowyn for the world. I also like Eomer's reaction to discovering his sister on the battlefield, and Sam and Frodo's encounter with the orcs as they are crossing the plains to Mount Doom (I should remember the name of that area but I don't. I must be a fake fan-girl.) But for the most part, the rest of it I don't care for, particularly the drinking game and its effects on Gimli.

But for anyone who bought the LE of these films I am wondering if the branching is really seamlessly done? My big fear is the HD coming out with branching and the player seizing up where the extended moments are supposed to branch in. I've never had one of these dvds--is this a problem? The last thing I'd want, if I were watching Middle-earth on TV and really getting into it is to be kicked out by a player seize up due to branching (or layer change, for that matter.)

#51 of 151 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,684 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Roer
Tim,

The geek in me says, "You Shall Not Pass!" But I could be wrong. Don't feel like popping it in to find out. The lazy guy in me is overriding the geek in me right now.

Cheers,

Jason

Yep...I totally blew that line didn't I! Posted Image I'm an idiot....Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image I edited the above post....

#52 of 151 OFFLINE   BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 01:09 PM

I say now that I'd only buy the extended editions, but God knows I'd cave as soon as these theatrical versions hit Amazon for pre-order. I'm weak.

In all seriousness, though, wasn't TotalHD one of the main catalysts for bringing NLC into the HD formats? Since Warners has delayed that until next year, maybe that means NLC will be out until then, too, unfortunately.
Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

#53 of 151 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyFraser
RotK EE spoilers below!

I love the extended FotR and TTT. Rotk does need to have the extra moments between Pippin and Faramir (to set up Pippin's particular concern for him later) and even though the Houses of Healing scenes should have been expanded upon, I wouldn't miss Faramir beginning to fall for Eowyn for the world. I also like Eomer's reaction to discovering his sister on the battlefield, and Sam and Frodo's encounter with the orcs as they are crossing the plains to Mount Doom (I should remember the name of that area but I don't. I must be a fake fan-girl.) But for the most part, the rest of it I don't care for, particularly the drinking game and its effects on Gimli.

But for anyone who bought the LE of these films I am wondering if the branching is really seamlessly done? My big fear is the HD coming out with branching and the player seizing up where the extended moments are supposed to branch in. I've never had one of these dvds--is this a problem? The last thing I'd want, if I were watching Middle-earth on TV and really getting into it is to be kicked out by a player seize up due to branching (or layer change, for that matter.)

I have not seen the LE of the Lord of the Rings films but I will say that the branching versions of The Abyss and Terminator 2 on SD are seamless.

Doug

#54 of 151 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 11:04 PM

All the more reasons for these HD/BD releases to always include the original/theatrical cuts and the extended cuts. Everyones happy. I know it's never going to happen.

BTW I prefer the extended cuts of all the LOTR films, T2, Aliens, The Abyss, Kingdom of Heaven, etc. Not so much King Kong though.
Death before Streaming!

#55 of 151 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,906 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted July 05 2007 - 12:02 AM

I bought those EE/TC editions recently. They were all scratched to a certain extent, including the replacements, even though the discs were seated correctly. Very annoying. Still, they played fine on my PC (my cheap DVD players has problems with DVD-19) with no noticable delays. The complicated process makes me nervous and I feel like a few extra dollars on the price to pay for extra DVDs would be more desirable. Also, the picture/sound quality was truly outstanding.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#56 of 151 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted July 05 2007 - 12:47 AM

I don't think seemless branching would work for the LOTR flicks as the music cues can be different, shots are held longer, extra lines of dialogue are peppered throughout...

#57 of 151 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted July 05 2007 - 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack
I don't think seemless branching would work for the LOTR flicks as the music cues can be different, shots are held longer, extra lines of dialogue are peppered throughout...

you maybe right. I'm interested now in renting the EE LOTR just to see how it worked out.

Doug

#58 of 151 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,684 posts

Posted July 16 2007 - 06:37 PM

Well...some news hit earlier today. Posted Image No, not LOTR, not Dark City, Rush Hour? Nope.......How about HAIRSPRAY. Posted Image

http://www.videobusi....840011984.html

Quote:
New Line told indie retailers today that Hairspray would be their first high def release on Blu-ray and HD DVD.

At least it's something. Posted Image

#59 of 151 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted July 16 2007 - 07:59 PM

bizarre!!! Posted Image

#60 of 151 OFFLINE   ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted July 16 2007 - 09:54 PM

Well, it'll likely be a day/date title, so there'll likely be more. I'm sure more titles will be announced in the coming weeks.
More Harlow on DVD Now! - Red Dust, Bombshell, Hold Your Man, Saratoga, The Iron Man, Goldie, The Secret Six, Beast of the City, Three Wise Girls, Reckless, Personal Property, Riff-raff, Suzy & Girl from Missouri

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow