Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Where Is New Line Cinema? - Merged, also see post #72

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
150 replies to this topic

#21 of 151 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted June 27 2007 - 02:28 PM

Didn't you hear? HD optical media was canceled due to lack of interest. Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#22 of 151 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted June 27 2007 - 02:53 PM

Maybe they don't want to loose money - Apparently no software title has made a profit on HD to date, at least that's what I remember reading on this board so it must be true.

Could be they're terrified of pirates and are waiting for BD+

They could be waiting for Walmarts cheap Chinese players to cross the Pacific.

They might be holding back so their titles don't get lost in this flood of high-profile quality releases this summer.

I just think they're unaware of HD opticals existence and that they forgot to read the memo that HD and BD were launched last year. Posted Image

Death before Streaming!

#23 of 151 OFFLINE   Brian Little

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator

• 216 posts

Posted June 27 2007 - 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
Didn't you hear? HD optical media was canceled due to lack of interest. Posted Image

Not. Funny. Posted Image
Brian The Demolition Man Little
Boycotting TDB Ever Since June 2nd 2007

#24 of 151 OFFLINE   Brian Little

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator

• 216 posts

Posted June 27 2007 - 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_K
They might be holding back so their titles don't get lost in this flood of high-profile quality releases this summer.

... what high profiles titles are coming out on DVD this summer? Its not that we are asking for "The Lord Of The Rings" trilogy to be released but at least New Line should be by now releasing its new releases on at least one format the same day the SD-DVD release is (or close to it).

Studios can't expect to make a profit right away on any new format. Just like with anything that is new it takes time to build an base of people to support the product. Talk to TNA Wrestling about that. It took them five years of losing money before they have started to earn money.

#25 of 151 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted June 27 2007 - 02:58 PM

Quote:
Maybe they don't want to loose money - Apparently no software title has made a profit on HD to date, at least that's what I remember reading on this board so it must be true.

lol Jim, I know what you mean. Thomas is always going on about how the general public has no interest in HD optical media. Either he is consulting for New Line, or they have taken his comments to heart.

I keed, I keed. Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal

#26 of 151 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,684 posts

Posted June 27 2007 - 03:01 PM

Already a thread with this discussion. Posted Image

http://www.hometheat....d.php?t=256700

#27 of 151 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted June 27 2007 - 03:12 PM

Wasn't New Line waiting for TotalHD? THD just got pushed back to 2008, so it wouldn't surprise me to see no New Line titles until then.

New Line is probably not satisfied with HD optical media penetration at this time to warrant producing another two formats. They're probably content to either wait to see if a "winner" emerges in Q4 or THD comes online to save them SKUs, etc.

The Jackal

#28 of 151 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted June 27 2007 - 03:13 PM

Tim, thanks. I have continued the discussion in a more serious tone in the above thread. Posted Image

The Jackal

#29 of 151 OFFLINE   Brian Little

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator

• 216 posts

Posted June 27 2007 - 04:34 PM

Quote:
New Line is probably not satisfied with HD optical media penetration at this time to warrant producing another two formats. They're probably content to either wait to see if a "winner" emerges in Q4 or THD comes online to save them SKUs, etc.

Which makes sense at least for the major titles like "The Lord Of The Rings" trilogy. But at least release new titles like "Last Mimzy" on the same day as the SD-DVD. At least give us THAT much.

Looks like I'll just Netflix "Last Mimzy" for now on SD-DVD.

#30 of 151 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted June 27 2007 - 11:02 PM

It was just my sardonic humor Brian. Paul got it.

Quote:
Already a thread with this discussion. Posted Image

http://www.hometheat....d.php?t=256700

Strangley enough there is another thread a couple weeks before that one. How.........odd.

http://www.hometheat....light=new line

Death before Streaming!

#31 of 151 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted June 28 2007 - 01:28 AM

Quote:
lol Jim, I know what you mean. Thomas is always going on about how the general public has no interest in HD optical media. Either he is consulting for New Line, or they have taken his comments to heart.

I keed, I keed. Posted Image
Posted Image Looks like I have been found out...Posted Image
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#32 of 151 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,684 posts

Posted June 28 2007 - 05:47 AM

LOL....Posted Image

#33 of 151 OFFLINE   FTX

FTX

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 01:23 AM

Apparantly, NewLine is planning to enter the HD arena too since on the "Industry Insiders Master Q&A thread" there is mention about the encoding of it:
Quote:
Mind you, this is not an easy encode where you fire the encoder and the next day ship the title. Care is needed to get the absolute best quality. Fortunately, while I can’t say much about LOTR in public, I can tell you that a ton of care is being applied to its encoding. And the results are very nice from what I hear.

Quote:
I don't know about you, but I don't want to see how bad that will look. So to do this title justice and with a lossless track (LOTR deserves no less), this would need to be on 2 discs.

Per above, I think you will be impressed with the quality. I know the title will not get released unless it looks great. Given the fact that NL is taking its time with getting this title encoded, you don’t have to worry here. And their standards are quite high. We didn’t let you down with Matrix. I hope you trust us that we won’t mess with this symbol of home theater either .

Since Microsoft is involved for the VC-1 encoding, it looks like at least a HD-DVD is in the works...

F

#34 of 151 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 01:53 AM

Hope it's the extended cuts, otherwise I might pass.
Death before Streaming!

#35 of 151 OFFLINE   Jason Roer

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor

• 977 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 02:30 AM

Agreed - absolutely has to be the extended cuts to get me to purchase. Here's hoping. Either way it's great news. This would be a huge release for HD, though I still feel we're years away, if ever, from HD replacing SD to the masses. Regardless, this will get a few fencers over and hopefully that will get the other studios to release some more big guns.

The more I think about it, the more I'm confused by studios not releasing extended cuts. This is a niche market and thus, the people purchasing are major film fans/collectors - the kind of folks who want extended cuts. It's kind of bizarre to release the theatrical cuts only.

Cheers,

Jason

#36 of 151 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 02:48 AM

Quote:
The more I think about it, the more I'm confused by studios not releasing extended cuts.

Greed. Studios want to go back to the well as much as possible, especially with their A-list flagship titles. The more times they can sell you the same title over and over again the more money they make.
Death before Streaming!

#37 of 151 OFFLINE   Jason Roer

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor

• 977 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 04:04 AM

Jim,

I definitely understand that. But like you stated about the Lord of the Rings trilogy, you won't be purchasing if it's not the extended editions and neither will I. And I'm sure there are a great many others who won't. Will there be enough theatrical sales to warrant releasing them? I don't know. But I do know that right now the current purchasers of HD DVD and Bluray (for the most part) are film fans - people who will most likely be more interested in extended cuts of the films.

The only reason I own King Kong on HD right now is because I prefer the theatrical to the extended. That isn't the case with Lord of the Rings. And from what I hear and read, it seems many would agree.

Cheers,

Jason

#38 of 151 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,684 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 04:18 AM

Man would I LOVE to own the EXT Editions on HD DVD!!!!!

"You Shall Not Pass!!! " Posted Image

Edited-Thanks to Jason Roer for the correction. Posted Image

#39 of 151 OFFLINE   Jason Roer

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor

• 977 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 04:55 AM

Tim,

The geek in me says, "You Shall Not Pass!" But I could be wrong. Don't feel like popping it in to find out. The lazy guy in me is overriding the geek in me right now.

Cheers,

Jason

#40 of 151 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 05:13 AM

I'm guessing:
How much does it cost to master one "LotR" film, a million?
How many copies would NL sell, 100,000?
If NL made $10US on every copy sold, where is the profit?
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow