Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Where Is New Line Cinema? - Merged, also see post #72

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#1 of 151 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,605 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 02:35 PM

I'm baffled. New Line remains the only major studio not releasing in HD. We heard back at CES, they were going to be on board with Warner's TotalHD..but even Warner is moving forward with releases without the Total HD discs. The other oddity is that NL is under Warner. Posted Image

Think back to 1997 and NL was one of the firsts with DVD catalog hits like The Mask, Austin Powers, The Long Kiss Goodnight, Dark City, and more that I can't think of now. Posted Image

And think of all the big hits since then.....like Magnolia, Austin Powers Sequels, Final Destination, Blade, Rush Hour, Se7en, Wedding Crashers, and um....Lord Of The Rings. Posted Image

And now they just released the critically acclaimed Pan's Labyrinth on dvd with no hint at all about an HD release. Posted Image

What are they waiting for?

We're now over a year into this thing and not a peep.

Alot of their stuff would be HUGE sellers.

Please, New Line, give us some content in High Definition. Posted Image

#2 of 151 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,519 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 04:40 PM

I agree completely! The only reason I put Pan's Labyrinth back on the shelf this week is because I really really wanted an HD version. This nagging voice in my head kept telling me that if I just waited a little longer, just a little longer.... *sigh*
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#3 of 151 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 11:30 PM

They really missed a golden opportunity to kick things off with Pan's Labyrinth. I get the feeling this would have done very well for them- at least I know I would have blind bought a copy of it. But like Chris, I just couldn't/wouldn't waste my time with a sd version at this point, knowing an HD version has to come out someday.

That said though, I did get it from Netflix, and while I haven't watched it yet, the few scenes I did see looked excellant. It would of course look better in HD- but it actually looked fine enough that I wouldn't have been disappointed had I actually bought it.

I wish I knew what New Lines problem was. I was fully expecting them to have had some good catalog stuff out by now, and I was especially looking forward to that longer cut of The New World the producer had mentioned was going to be out last winter. Maybe by the time that Dark City SE hits...(shouldn't have said anything, probably just jinxed it)

#4 of 151 Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,227 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 11:57 PM

I picked it PL. Its a classic and one I will happily repurchase in HD.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#5 of 151 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 11:58 PM

New Line would get my vote for most disappointing studio when it comes to HD if it weren't for Fox who gets the top spot for the sheer amount of desirable titles and so many empty promises.

LOTR extended cut, Se7en and Dark City are my most desired titles in HD, though there are several more I'd like to own.
Death before Streaming!

#6 of 151 Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted May 18 2007 - 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Glover
What are they waiting for?

We're now over a year into this thing and not a peep.

Alot of their stuff would be HUGE sellers.

The highest selling title for both formats was a popular movie with a day-and-date release which sold about 50k copies. Studio's aren't exactly missing much of an opportunity with piddley numbers like that.

#7 of 151 Mike.B

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted May 18 2007 - 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Sytsma
I picked it PL. Its a classic and one I will happily repurchase in HD.

No doubt. The best movie of 2006, in my opinion.

#8 of 151 Thornhill

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted May 18 2007 - 02:43 AM

I loved this movie. It was #2 after Children of Men for me last year.
I would definitely double dip this one, but I won't.
I just don't feel it when I go to the store knowing without a doubt that I will be double dipping a title. I can't bring myself to do it anymore. And trust me, I'm a major double and triple dipper, just on DVD! I'm not even counting VHS and Laser Disc.

As for New Line... well they are letting alot of $$$$ slip through their fingers at this moment. I'm not just talking Pan's Labyrinth but mainly their catalog titles. Not even Lord of the Rings, I think it might be too soon for them to let that one out of the bag just yet. They have tons of other stuff that's ready to go. Franchises I'm talking about. Rush Hour, Blade, Austin Powers. Then they have Dark City, Seven, Boogie Nights, Magnolia etc. etc. So either they really can't make up their minds or they are just building anticipation for their catalog.

Either way I wish they would just jump in already! Posted Image
My HT Setup:
 Fronts: B & W DM603 S3  Rears: B & W DM602 S3  Center: B & W LCR600 S3  Sub Woofer: SVS PB-2 PLUS                                                                                                                                  

#9 of 151 ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted May 18 2007 - 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornhill
As for New Line... well they are letting alot of $$$$ slip through their fingers at this moment.
I think the problem is, it costs more money to produce in HD then the studios are making for the sales. Other then a few releases, my guess is there is little money to be made by the studios at the current time. If fact, I would bet they lose money on most releases.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#10 of 151 Thornhill

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted May 18 2007 - 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppltd
I think the problem is, it costs more money to produce in HD then the studios are making for the sales. Other then a few releases, my guess is there is little money to be made by the studios at the current time. If fact, I would bet they lose money on most releases.

I agree with you on that. The studios are definitely losing money all around
on HD. But, as they say, you have to spend money to make money. If New Line would jump in, their start up costs would be high but, they'd get the ball rolling on their HD market. They'd also help bring in new HD customers, which is what they need to start making money. They will eventually have to make the investment in HD anyway. I guess they want to lose as little as possible by waiting. It might not be a bad idea. If everybody had thought like that there wouldn't have been a format war. But then we wouldn't be enjoying our HD disks so...Posted Image
My HT Setup:
 Fronts: B & W DM603 S3  Rears: B & W DM602 S3  Center: B & W LCR600 S3  Sub Woofer: SVS PB-2 PLUS                                                                                                                                  

#11 of 151 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,536 posts

Posted May 18 2007 - 03:09 PM

Sad, too, considering how strongly New Line supported DVD in its infancy.

For a long time between May 1997-early 1998, I would say 30-40% of my DVDs were New Line titles.

#12 of 151 MattFini

MattFini

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted May 18 2007 - 04:19 PM

I would certainly love to get my hands on the Nightmare on Elm Street series in HD...but maybe that's just me.
Universal, please release Streets of Fire on Blu-ray.

#13 of 151 ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted May 19 2007 - 06:55 AM

Hopefully, New Line will be making a few entries in the 4th quarter.

If not LOTR, then hopefully some of the other titles some have already listed here.
More Harlow on DVD Now! - Red Dust, Bombshell, Hold Your Man, Saratoga, The Iron Man, Goldie, The Secret Six, Beast of the City, Three Wise Girls, Reckless, Personal Property, Riff-raff, Suzy & Girl from Missouri

#14 of 151 Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted May 19 2007 - 12:17 PM

I think they are sitting out the format war.
Government in action = Government inaction

#15 of 151 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted May 19 2007 - 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.B
No doubt. The best movie of 2006, in my opinion.

after finally sitting down to watch it, I have to agree. Just a spell binding piece of work. This has now vaulted to the top of my "can't wait till this gets released on HD" list.

#16 of 151 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,605 posts

Posted May 20 2007 - 04:48 PM

Regarding Pan's Labyrinth....there is hope, albeit an expensive one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas from annees-laser forum
"Festival of Cannes, May 20, 2007. Wild Side Video is proud to announce the next availability of the Labyrinth of Side in HD DVD in France. New proof of the number growing European actors of the sector to support this format (creative contents, studios of authoring, pressers and manufacturers), it acts of the very first disc High definition with being certified THX in Europe and only disc HD DVD of a film of cinema in the world to obtain this certification.

Located in Spain of 1944, the Labyrinth of Side tells the history of the young person and solitary Ofelia, daughter-in-law of a pitiless captain of the army pro-Franco, which, to escape from cruel reality, escapes in a fantastic world, captivating and mysterious.

Wild Side Video is the editor at the origin of project HD DVD of the Labyrinth of Side in France "the Labyrinth of Side is an extraordinary film which knew to charm the public and the profession at the time of its presentation in official competition with the Festival of Cannes in 2006" tells Grégory Strouk, Assistant general manager of Wild Side Video. "Today, the film is back more imposing than ever thanks to its exit on support HD DVD and we are proud to perpetuate his success and to make share this single experiment of cinema until in the hearths". "Once more, HD DVD reaches a new top of quality of the image and sound in the field of the High definition," explains Eddie Cunningham, President of European HD DVD Promotion Group.

"THX is an internationally respected quality control mark to which producing as much as spectators make confidence throughout the world. It thus seemed more than suitable that one of the most celebrated?uvres Del Toro is first European disc HD DVD to receive this certification." "We are extremely happy to collaborate with Wild Side Video to launch first film of cinema in the world to being published in HD DVD certified THX," adds Rick Dean, Vice-Président of the Technological Development of THX. "the Labyrinth of Side is a splendid experiment, offered by one of the realizers most endowed with the world. Our collaboration with Wild Side thus will make it possible to the fans of this film to fully benefit from its incredible beauty in High definition " The edition of the Labyrinth of Side is the new episode of a success without precedent of HD DVD in Europe.

Whereas other formats High definition are focused on Hollywood exits of Blockbusters, HD DVD Promotion Group does not slacken its support for produced films, distributed and pressed locally "a number unceasingly growing of studios and houses of productions become aware of the creative and commercial advantages which the choice of support HD DVD represents. That allows a more economic production for a great number of pressers supporting this format, making High definition a more viable market for independent "the additions Eddie Cunningham. With the occasion of this exit of the Labyrinth of Side in HD DVD, 100 000 promotional discs of demonstration will be inserted in the professional press (Multi-media with the One) and Home Cinema/DVD (the Years Laser).

This disc ` combo' with two faces (he also certified THX) comprises at the same time a face DVD SD (Standard Definition) and a face HD DVD. The public will be able to even compare format HD DIGITAL (present on the ROMANIAN part of the DVD) with the other face HD DVD, thanks to extracts with readable format WMV on PC. It will be able to finally discover demonstration HD DVD explaining the format and its many advantages. "This disc combo is a formidable advisability of making discover with the consumers all the assets of HD DVD and, even if they did not have adequate reader, they can turn over the disc and to benefit fully from extracts of the Labyrinth of Side in High definition in a resolution of 720p and 1080p in the readable DVD-Romanian part on PC" concludes Grégory Strouk. 1. The European members of HD DVD Promotion Group comment on the exit of the Labyrinth of Side in HD DVD QOL, French N°1 of pressing DVD, was interested very early in the High definition in DVD and is the only Européen laboratory today able to realize, in the code of practice, all the stages necessary to the production of HD DVD: mastering, testing and pressing. "We see our two years of efforts rewarded while having been chosen by Wild Side Vidéo to carry out this exceptional HD DVD of the Labyrinth of Side, first film in the world with being certified THX. It acts, artistically and technically, of an absolute "must" which will make date and to which we are happy to be associated "Laurent Villaume, President of QOL.

"HD DVD of the Labyrinth of Side published by Wild Side Video offers a sound track DTS-HD Master Audio out of the commun run. Format DTS-HD Master Audio is conceived to deliver greatest sound quality that your equipment Home Cinema can restore, and on a level of sound resolution more twice the higher than the majority of the standard DVD. Tomorrow, with an amplifier integrated HDMI and DTS-HD Audio Master, this HD DVD of the Labyrinth of Side will offer one to you made audio identical to the original of the film "

Gerard Loupias, Consultant SDR Group CMC, pioneer in Europe of pre-mastering HD DVD is proud to associate its competences pre-mastering DVD image processing HD to the technical requirements of the project the Labyrinth of Side CMC thus carries out its first DVD labellized THX and first HD DVD in the world of a film of cinema to receive this certification "Our department multi-media is proud to have been able to put at the service of Wild Side Vidéo the human and material means for the realization of the DVD and HD DVD of the Labyrinth of Side. Certification THX of this project is the proof of the quality of the services provided by CMC. Thanks to the many advantages of format HD DVD, we thus could fulfill the technical requirements which made the reputation of the projects of Guillermo del Toro and Wild Side Vidéo "Denis Auboyer, President of group CMC 2.

Certification THX in details Beginning with the end, each detail of HD DVD of the Labyrinth of Side was studied and supervised by THX to reach the excellence of the image and the sound. The technicians carried out a detailed analysis of the master of origin and fact of the recommendations for an encoding and an optimum compression. In parallel, the sound elements were entirely analyzed to make sure that they reached the levels of reference and remained fully faithful to the recordings present on the master. After this phase of encoding and compressions, THX applied to film a protocol of vehicle inspections of quality in order to minimize to the maximum any degradation of the visual and sound elements during the process of mastering HD DVD. That includes in particular a diagnosis image by image of these visual elements in order to make sure that they preserve all the definition and the details present on the original master. The result of all this work leads to a HD DVD with the immaculate image. HD DVD of the Labyrinth of Side, also offers the THX Optimizer, a tool for embarked calibration making it possible to the amateurs of Home Cinema to regulate their audio and video material for an ideal experiment of visionnage. The THX Optimizer consists of a series of models of references making it possible to adjust the color, the colour, the contrast and the definition of the image, also well that to check addressing, the phase and the points of transition from the sound systems surround. In only a few minutes, it makes it possible to the consumer to fully benefit from experiment HD DVD.
"

Posted Image

I actually gave myself a headache reading that but it looks like we can this for about $75 US dollars. Posted Image

#17 of 151 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,217 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 03:28 AM

Lord of the Rings would be a great start for NewLine. Posted Image

#18 of 151 Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,002 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 09:32 AM

I agree where is New Line Cinema? Why are they not anouncing titles and letting anyone know what is being planned? I can not wait to have Lord Of The Rings in HD, hopefully it will be on Blu-ray! NLC was a decent library and they should be releasing titles in HD instead of sitting on the sidelines. It has allways been my opinion that New Line was a cutting edge studio. But with the lack of HD anouncements from New Line I am not sure they are so cutting edge anymore.
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio

#19 of 151 Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted May 23 2007 - 11:40 AM

Not worried "NL" isn't in the war now. It's a war after all & one with very little payoff today, yet a lot to lose today & tomorrow.
That being said: I'd LUV to see the extended cut of "The New World" on HD DVD by 4Q or this time next year at the latest.
Here's hoping!!!

That "LotR" thing looks like a KILLER package!!! :-0
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#20 of 151 Brian Little

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator

• 216 posts

Posted June 27 2007 - 12:27 PM

Seriously when is New Line going to wake up and finally start releasing titles on either format? In a few weeks "The Last Mimzy" will be released but sadly only on SD-DVD. I really wanted to pick this up on HD-DVD as well.

Now I can understand waiting on huge titles like "The Lord Of The Rings" trilogy but at least they should be already releasing their new titles on at least one if not both formats.

Can someone please explain to me what New Line's hold up is? I just don't get it.
Brian The Demolition Man Little
Boycotting TDB Ever Since June 2nd 2007

Back to Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow