What's new

DVD scratched right out of case- not what you'd expect (1 Viewer)

Zach Foster

Stunt Coordinator
I received the Band Of Brothers series on DVD this past Christmas, and just recently got the opportunity to sit down and watch them all, and I noticed a problem. When I first opened the DVD set, a few discs were stuck to the plastic casing they were in. It took a little bit of extra force to remove them, and when I looked to see why, I discovered that some of the discs had almost "melted" in some spots to the plastic cases they were in.

Anyways, I didn't think much of this problem when I opened them this past Christmas, but when I played the affected disc this past week, there is a 15 second skip where the "plastic smudge dot" is on the back of the DVD.

I have read various solutions to this problem, and wanted to ask the community's opinion on what I should do. I've heard that one can polish discs with Brasso, but a test sample I made on a throwaway burnable gave me less than desirable results. I have also heard of professional resurfacing via local DVD rental stores (such as say, Blockbuster or Hollywood Video?). Finally, I suppose I could always just attempt to exchange my DVD set at Wal-Mart five months later, lol. The discs are in mint condition, without a single scratch, but the receipt is long gone. What does everyone recommend me do?

WadeM

Supporting Actor
I had a similar problem with Superman the Animated Series. I bought the first volume probably a couple of years ago and well...I just recently got time to watch the second disc, and the disc looked like it had little air bubbles in it so I couldn't watch about 4 episodes. I haven't done anything with it yet, and since it's been a couple of years since I bought it, I guess I won't...

DanHal

Stunt Coordinator
Or, you could contact the studio that made the disks, and ask for a replacement disk(s).

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I had this happen to me recently with Crash: Directors Cut. A quick run through with my Disc Doctor and it was working again.

Zach Foster

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you all for the informative replies. I just wanted to add some closure to the thread:

I had a lazy afternoon today so I decided to just see if I could exchange it at Wal-Mart. Sure enough, they let me trade without any problem, and I now have brand new discs without any defects! :)

nicholas_g

Stunt Coordinator
There has been quite a lot of new discs for me over the years that has been scratched. Most of the time they have been R2. They have been mainly in boxsets. Quality control is not what it used to be. I still have R1 discs from before 2000 with no scratches.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks