-

Photo

Star Wars Limited Edition DVDs $9.99 at Costco

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,310 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted May 17 2007 - 05:55 AM

If you held out on buying the 2-disc release with the letterboxed original versions, Costco has them for $9.99 each. For $30 I may just cave and buy them to replace the single disc editions from the box set.

I'll hold off until after Celebration IV -- I don't want to be duped by the beard, just in case LFL makes a surprise announcement about the Ultimate Edition coming out this year.
Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Steven Good

Steven Good

Stunt Coordinator

• 202 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 03:01 PM

I guess a lot of those Limited Editions went unsold initially, huh?
Roger Ebert--"This is one more pathetic example of the dumbing of America--to show the films in the wrong aspect ratio to placate the stupid, instead of in the right aspect ratio to reward the knowledgeable."

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,048 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 17 2007 - 03:44 PM

The editions were limited in as much as they only manufactured the discs for a certain amount of time. There was no set number of discs made. Like Disney movies, companies bought tons of extra copies so they had more to sell after the titles were discontinued.

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   John Berggren

John Berggren

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted May 18 2007 - 08:47 AM

I bet if they had remastered them properly, they'd have sold gangbusters.
Support the fight against Multiple Sclerosis as I ride in the 2007 MS 150 in New Bern this September.

Be a Widescreen Advocate

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,048 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 18 2007 - 11:06 AM

I've said it before but do you think the number of Star Wars fans that cared about the lack of anamorphic enhancement AND were able to hold out was actually that big? It's a huge deal to people who have any knowledge of HT stuff but that's it. The reason they didn't sell as well as they wanted is because the average consumer already has Star Wars and the original editions aren't something they care that much about to buy it a second time.

I know tons of people were going crazy about it online but that's the same as the popularity of Snakes On A Plane and Grindhouse or the hatred for Spider-Man 3. The number of people online lauding or decrying something are a drop in the bucket in the real world.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I think the OOT should have been anamorphic but I don't think it would have made much of a difference sales wise when the average person has no clue what the problem is.

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,310 posts

Posted May 19 2007 - 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
I've said it before but do you think the number of Star Wars fans that cared about the lack of anamorphic enhancement AND were able to hold out was actually that big? It's a huge deal to people who have any knowledge of HT stuff but that's it. The reason they didn't sell as well as they wanted is because the average consumer already has Star Wars and the original editions aren't something they care that much about to buy it a second time.

I know tons of people were going crazy about it online but that's the same as the popularity of Snakes On A Plane and Grindhouse or the hatred for Spider-Man 3. The number of people online lauding or decrying something are a drop in the bucket in the real world.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I think the OOT should have been anamorphic but I don't think it would have made much of a difference sales wise when the average person has no clue what the problem is.

You're probably right but I would have bought them and replaced my other copies if they had been anamorphic.
Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   John Berggren

John Berggren

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted May 19 2007 - 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_M
You're probably right but I would have bought them and replaced my other copies if they had been anamorphic.

Me too.

And I think you're not taking into consideration how much scifi fans in general are keyed into technology and video quality.
Support the fight against Multiple Sclerosis as I ride in the 2007 MS 150 in New Bern this September.

Be a Widescreen Advocate

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Adam_WM

Adam_WM

Screenwriter

• 1,626 posts

Posted May 19 2007 - 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR

I very much agree with your edit. I think die-hard fans would have bought them, but most kids and casual fans are perfectly happy with their SE's.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,023 posts

Posted May 19 2007 - 10:19 PM

I caved and bought them for $9.44 each at Wal-Mart the day after Thanksgiving. My reasoning was that these are probably going to be the best available editions of the original versions for several more decades, and I consider the updated versions as "bonus material", not the other way around!
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter

• 1,275 posts

Posted May 24 2007 - 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Berggren
Me too.

And I think you're not taking into consideration how much scifi fans in general are keyed into technology and video quality.

Me three and I think it mattered a great deal to a significant group and was a big time blunder.

Chris

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   John Berggren

John Berggren

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted May 25 2007 - 07:11 AM

Alright, I caved. Does that make me a bad person?

These will hold me until if ever there are original versions on Blu Ray.

Be a Widescreen Advocate

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,310 posts

Posted May 30 2007 - 05:43 AM

I caved yesterday. Bought 'em with a smile on my face.

Turned around and sold my 3 single disc SEs today...for $24.

I can live that.

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   John Berggren

John Berggren

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted May 30 2007 - 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_M
I caved yesterday. Bought 'em with a smile on my face.

Turned around and sold my 3 single disc SEs today...for $24.

I can live that.

USED CD store? Ebay? I've considered doing this, but haven't decided which boxes to part with, as I have the boxed set.

Be a Widescreen Advocate

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,310 posts

Posted May 30 2007 - 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Berggren
USED CD store? Ebay? I've considered doing this, but haven't decided which boxes to part with, as I have the boxed set.

We have a staff bulletin board where I work. I unload all my DVDs there when I double-dip new SEs and such.

Anyone else notice that the limited edtion 2 disc DVDs have gold letters to match the prequels? Maybe that was the beard's master plan all along?

Back to Bargains and Deals

Forum Nav Content I Follow