• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 of 99 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Advanced Member

• 14,397 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted May 16 2007 - 07:58 AM

HD DVD Promotional Group Launches National Marketing and Retail Campaigns For Spring Promotion of HD DVD Format
In-cinema trailers expected reach of 30 million consumers on 12,000 screens nationwide; $100 rebate on select Toshiba players bring price to an industry-first $299.99*

LOS ANGELES (May 16, 2007) – The companies supporting HD DVD began spring marketing and retail campaigns in May, running in-cinema trailers to promote the HD DVD format. Playing to record-breaking crowds of consumers in front of some of the summer’s biggest blockbusters, including Spiderman 3, the trailers are designed to educate consumers about the quality and value of HD DVD, and will play for four weeks. The trailers showcase the amazing audio and video quality, the stunning interactive features available only on HD DVD, and the incredible line-up of films already on the market.

According to National CineMedia, the number of impressions is expected to reach approximately 30 million viewers. The trailer will run across a network of 932 theaters and on 12,000 screens nationwide, including the top three movie theater chains Regal, AMC and Cinemark.

To augment the trailer campaign, Toshiba is offering a one month promotion for an instant, in-store rebate on select HD DVD players, bringing the price of some models down to an industry-first $299.99*. Beginning May 20th, 2007, consumers buying a Toshiba HD-A2 model player will receive an immediate $100 instant rebate in store, for an attractive price of $299.99*.

During the final week of the rebate period, from June 10th through June 16th, 2007, Toshiba will increase the incentive for consumers to enjoy high definition. Consumers can apply the $100 rebate to any Toshiba HD DVD player, resulting in prices of $299.99* for the HD-A2 or $399.99* for the HD-A20 models. Or consumers can buy any Toshiba HDTV 42” and over (measured diagonally) along with any Toshiba HD DVD player and receive an instant $200 rebate in store on the collective purchase.

Consumers who purchase any Toshiba HD DVD player can also get five HD DVD titles for free, choosing from a selection of 15 movies. This offer is available through July 31, 2007 and in conjunction with the previously listed promotion and rebate – full offer details are available at www.toshibahddvd.com.

“HD DVD is an evolution of the DVD format into high definition, but the format offers much more, so educating consumers on the quality and new features is an important step as more households purchase high definition televisions,” said Jodi Sally, vice president of marketing at Toshiba America Consumer Products. “We know that price is a powerful driver for consumers to adopt new technology, which is why our rebate promotion is a great incentive to bring cinema-quality, high definition movies into your home today.”

The rebate will be available across a wide range of retailers, including Best Buy, Posted ImageCity, HHGregg, Amazon.com and many others. The marketing and retail campaigns will also coincide with the Warner Home Video release of The Complete Matrix Trilogy and Letters from Iwo Jima, and the Paramount Home Entertainment release of Flags of Our Fathers on May 22nd, and will be supported by a multi-million dollar advertising campaign incorporating TV, online, newspaper, and radio.

*MSRP on Toshiba HD DVD Player models: (HD-A2) $399.99, (HD-A20) $499.99 and (HD-XA2) $799.99.

Instant rebate offer available only at participating retailers.

#2 of 99 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,306 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 08:06 AM

The HD-A2 is $320 at Amazon right now. So for $220, next week someone will be able to get it and five movies. That puts it about in line with a good upconverting player.

I just sent this to my brother who just bought a new HDTV. Man, I felt so clever getting my HD-A1 for $450 last August...
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#3 of 99 shockemags

shockemags

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 08:46 AM

Very cool. Thanks.

Any way to get $100 off if I buy the HD-DVD Player here...

vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/accessories/487678362
Main Home Theater
Vizio GV42L
Toshiba HD-A2
Xbox 360 Premium
HD-DVD TitlesThe Eagles: Farewell Tour, Friday Night Lights, V For Vendetta, The Departed, The Bourne Supremacy, 300 (Pre-order)The Italian JobStill working on it...

#4 of 99 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Advanced Member

• 14,397 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 09:19 AM

$220 +five free at Amazon is a killer deal!

Joe-
You will have to ask Vanns.

#5 of 99 ppltd

ppltd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 09:54 AM

Toshiba certainly looks like they are not taking any prisoners. This is agressive pricing from Tosh...
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#6 of 99 DaveF

DaveF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 12,508 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted May 16 2007 - 12:04 PM

It's listed as $277 at Amazon right now: $100 rebate makes it $177. Is it known for sure that the rebate will be available via Amazon, who is actually providing sell-through for Electronics Expo?

#7 of 99 Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,713 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 12:23 PM

I am not pro HD DVD or Blu-ray. I am waiting for either one to "win" (don't care which), or for more combo players.

But with that said ... Posted Image

This brings a smile to my face, because if Toshiba had any issues with the supply of these players not meeting demand, they most certainly would not be offering a deal like this. Almost seems to me, that they have units they can't sell, so they're dropping the price.
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#8 of 99 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,846 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted May 16 2007 - 12:32 PM

yeah well that is one direction you can spin it towards.
but why bother who cares really.
it is just on sale for a great price buy it if you want it.

facebook.com/whotony

#9 of 99 Chris S

Chris S

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 01:51 PM

Quote:
During the final week of the rebate period, from June 10th through June 16th, 2007, Toshiba will increase the incentive for consumers to enjoy high definition. Consumers can apply the $100 rebate to any Toshiba HD DVD player...

Might actually have to upgrade to the HD-XA2 earlier than I had planned.

DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#10 of 99 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Advanced Member

• 14,397 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 01:56 PM

If you are going through Amazon, the rebate is probably only good on one actually purchased from Amazon, and not through any of the other sellers that list on Amazon. That is my guess...

#11 of 99 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,846 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted May 16 2007 - 02:32 PM

the xa-2 is under $600 now at amzon before $100 rebate.

facebook.com/whotony

#12 of 99 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,558 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 04:27 PM

Freakin' Awesome!!!

#13 of 99 ppltd

ppltd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C Brown
This brings a smile to my face, because if Toshiba had any issues with the supply of these players not meeting demand, they most certainly would not be offering a deal like this. Almost seems to me, that they have units they can't sell, so they're dropping the price.
Same could be said at Panasonic cutting there price in half, or Pioneer knocking 500 off theirs. Truth be told, it is a great marketing ploy from Toshiba as they try to find the price point that brings HD out of the 'Elite' crowd and start moving it into the general consumer group. Along with this, the HD org will be advertising the product in theaters soon, including the much anticipated Spiderman 3. That is irony.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#14 of 99 Gabe D

Gabe D

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 12:50 AM

Am I the only one who expects to see Amazon's price go up when the rebate appears, making the deal effectively the same as what we see now? I hope I'm wrong, because I'd love to have a player in the bedroom. I'm just trying not to get too excited.

#15 of 99 Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe D
Am I the only one who expects to see Amazon's price go up when the rebate appears, making the deal effectively the same as what we see now? I hope I'm wrong, because I'd love to have a player in the bedroom. I'm just trying not to get too excited.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised.

I know that the HTF has a relationship with Value Electronics, and they seem to have offered some great deals before. I wonder what their price will be this weekend?

#16 of 99 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,306 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppltd
Along with this, the HD org will be advertising the product in theaters soon, including the much anticipated Spiderman 3. That is irony.
Oh, they already are. When I saw Spidey 3 on the first Sunday of release, there was a big ol' Matrix trilogy ad that specifically mentioned the Xbox 360 player and Toshiba players. That had to annoy Sony a little.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#17 of 99 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Advanced Member

• 14,397 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 03:19 AM

There is some speculation that the rebate will only be enough to get the price down to $299. For instance if a dealer is selling it for MSRP ($399) the rebate will be $100. If someone is selling it for $325, the rebate will be $26, getting the price down to $299. No word on if this is true or if it is $100 off your best price (like we are hoping). We will have to see what VE does as they will be participating, but the HTF price is already $299...

#18 of 99 Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 03:52 AM

Wow - real suspense. My finger has never been so close to pulling the trigger...

#19 of 99 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Advanced Member

• 18,465 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 05:40 AM

It's a great chance to get a really marvellous machine (if only for the upconversion of SDVD) at an extremely reasonable price. No matter what your preference (if any) in the "format war" be.

Cees

#20 of 99 Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,155 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 05:54 AM

Quote:
It's a great chance to get a really marvellous machine (if only for the upconversion of SDVD) at an extremely reasonable price. No matter what your preference (if any) in the "format war" be.

Good point! Plus, if you don't want to purchase HD-DVD's you can just rent them from Netflix! So you get a *great* upconverting DVD player -*and * you can still enjoy the occasional true 1080p HD-DVD disc.

I was about to give up on HD-DVD due to Disney and Fox's stance with BD, but with this move the HD-DVD camp now has "the blood in the water" so to speak!
Joseph
---------------

Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow