What's new

Pan's Labyrinth (1 Viewer)

Chris Huber

Second Unit
Rented it last night. This movie was very well acted and really worked the surrounds and sub (if you have one that plays deep bass). There hasn't been a DVD with this much sound action in a long time. Very well edited.

The movie itself was great. Don't let reading subtitles turn you off from it.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I agree.... Great movie. The only nick pick I have is the Faun character, his voice didn't match the way he looked.

Other then that I really loved the movie, loved it! Great sound, acting, score and just all around good. Both me and the wife really enjoyed it.

The subtitles didn't bother us at all......

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I heard, and from the prior posts, it appears true, that this movie does not have an English Audio Track. Is that in fact true?

AlexCremers

Second Unit
Wow, this movie received the highest score (at Metacritic) I've seen in ages! Almost every critic gives it 4 stars! Mind-boggling! I know I gotta see this.

Alex

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
No Reading......NOOOO!!!

Just teasing, trust us that it wont bother you after awhile, the film is riveting and well worth it.....but tastes do differ from person to person so I would suggest renting it first if you are unsure.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
It's a foreign film. It SHOULD be viewed in its native language (with subtitles). I don't have the disc yet, so I don't know whether or not it has an english dub track, but if it doesn't... bravo!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I bought this blind and am planning to watch it tonight, if possible. It has DD and DTS Spanish tracks, and a French dub in 2.0.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's a great movie. Even better the second time around. Don't worry too much about the subtitles, there isn't that much dialog.

One quibble about the DVD. Did anyone notice something weird going on in a late scene, when Mercedes goes into the labyrinth? (Let's not give away what is actually happening at that point, since it's a major plot point.) It looks kind of solarized. Densities are just weird there for a while. I didn't know if it was my display or if others noticed it.

Mark VH

Second Unit
"Don't worry about the subtitles" shouldn't even need to be stated.

"Grow up," on the other hand (if anyone complains)...

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
I loved the faun's voice. The deep rich tone in his voice was so powerful. It really added to his character in my opinion.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
After watching District B13 last night, which is only in an English dub, be glad that it isn't. Granted, the dialog wouldn't have improved, but it probably would have been less cringeworthy.

Jason

Bo_Darville

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bo
i bought this dvd blind. i thought it was pretty good, but not great. well, at least not as great as i expected from the tv trailers.

as long as you don't expect LOTR-type CGI (especially the bullfrog), then you will enjoy it. also, i was expecting much more fantasy in this movie (again, the trailers focus almost exclusively on that). OTOH, there was more brutality than i expected (this movie is not for kids). and as someone else mentioned, the sound is pretty good (6.1 rocks).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the first day, tuesday, about 2 of 5 decided not to rent because of subs at my store.
today i would say more that it was more.
6-7 out of every 10 people wouldnt rent after i told them it was subbed.

oops the 2 out of 3 was supposed to be out of 5

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Philistines.
I remember in my film studies class when my prof used two films to do a subs vs. dubs comparison. The two films he used were Life is Beautiful and Like Water for Chocolate. In both cases the subtitles and the original audio were infinitely preferable to the dubs, especially on Like Water for Chocolate; the dialogue in the English dub sounded like a really bad soap opera.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Funny how I'm getting slammed so much, when all I did was ask to verify if it was or was not available in English Audio. I have made no comment one way or the other as to how that answer would or would not affect any decision to rent it. :D

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, that is absolutely terrible and ridiculous at the same time. I think I would go crazy if I had to live in a country where everything had to be dubbed in the native language to be accepted.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

paranoid much?

it was just a indication on people these days that mentioned the numbers from my store.

it's not all about you, you know.

:crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks