Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Pan's Labyrinth

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#1 of 55 OFFLINE   Chris Huber

Chris Huber

Second Unit

• 416 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 12:49 AM

Rented it last night. This movie was very well acted and really worked the surrounds and sub (if you have one that plays deep bass). There hasn't been a DVD with this much sound action in a long time. Very well edited.

The movie itself was great. Don't let reading subtitles turn you off from it.

#2 of 55 OFFLINE   Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,259 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 02:12 AM

I agree.... Great movie. The only nick pick I have is the Faun character, his voice didn't match the way he looked.

Other then that I really loved the movie, loved it! Great sound, acting, score and just all around good. Both me and the wife really enjoyed it.

The subtitles didn't bother us at all......
My DVD Collection

#3 of 55 OFFLINE   Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 07:09 PM

I heard, and from the prior posts, it appears true, that this movie does not have an English Audio Track. Is that in fact true?

#4 of 55 OFFLINE   AlexCremers

AlexCremers

Second Unit

• 432 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 07:48 PM

Wow, this movie received the highest score (at Metacritic) I've seen in ages! Almost every critic gives it 4 stars! Mind-boggling! I know I gotta see this.

Alex

#5 of 55 OFFLINE   Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,333 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted May 16 2007 - 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui-Gon John
I heard, and from the prior posts, it appears true, that this movie does not have an English Audio Track. Is that in fact true?

Yes, it's true. After a couple of minutes, you won't even notice. It's absolutely riveting in its beauty.
Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#6 of 55 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 02:06 AM

No Reading......NOOOO!!!

Just teasing, trust us that it wont bother you after awhile, the film is riveting and well worth it.....but tastes do differ from person to person so I would suggest renting it first if you are unsure.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#7 of 55 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,689 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 02:34 AM

It's a foreign film. It SHOULD be viewed in its native language (with subtitles). I don't have the disc yet, so I don't know whether or not it has an english dub track, but if it doesn't... bravo!

#8 of 55 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted May 17 2007 - 02:54 AM

I bought this blind and am planning to watch it tonight, if possible. It has DD and DTS Spanish tracks, and a French dub in 2.0.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#9 of 55 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,576 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 03:54 AM

It's a great movie. Even better the second time around. Don't worry too much about the subtitles, there isn't that much dialog.

One quibble about the DVD. Did anyone notice something weird going on in a late scene, when Mercedes goes into the labyrinth? (Let's not give away what is actually happening at that point, since it's a major plot point.) It looks kind of solarized. Densities are just weird there for a while. I didn't know if it was my display or if others noticed it.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#10 of 55 OFFLINE   Mark VH

Mark VH

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 05:40 AM

"Don't worry about the subtitles" shouldn't even need to be stated.

"Grow up," on the other hand (if anyone complains)...

#11 of 55 OFFLINE   AaronMan

AaronMan

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 06:00 AM

I loved the faun's voice. The deep rich tone in his voice was so powerful. It really added to his character in my opinion.

#12 of 55 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 07:00 AM

After watching District B13 last night, which is only in an English dub, be glad that it isn't. Granted, the dialog wouldn't have improved, but it probably would have been less cringeworthy.

Jason

#13 of 55 OFFLINE   Chris Huber

Chris Huber

Second Unit

• 416 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRice
It's a great movie. Even better the second time around. Don't worry too much about the subtitles, there isn't that much dialog.

One quibble about the DVD. Did anyone notice something weird going on in a late scene, when Mercedes goes into the labyrinth? (Let's not give away what is actually happening at that point, since it's a major plot point.) It looks kind of solarized. Densities are just weird there for a while. I didn't know if it was my display or if others noticed it.

I did notice this issue 2 short times in the DVD... I have an RP HDTV.

#14 of 55 OFFLINE   Bo_Darville

Bo_Darville

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 10:42 AM

i bought this dvd blind. i thought it was pretty good, but not great. well, at least not as great as i expected from the tv trailers.

as long as you don't expect LOTR-type CGI (especially the bullfrog), then you will enjoy it. also, i was expecting much more fantasy in this movie (again, the trailers focus almost exclusively on that). OTOH, there was more brutality than i expected (this movie is not for kids). and as someone else mentioned, the sound is pretty good (6.1 rocks).

#15 of 55 OFFLINE   AaronMan

AaronMan

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 03:39 PM

Um...didn't you notice the R rating?

#16 of 55 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,239 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted May 17 2007 - 04:05 PM

the first day, tuesday, about 2 of 5 decided not to rent because of subs at my store.
today i would say more that it was more.
6-7 out of every 10 people wouldnt rent after i told them it was subbed.

oops the 2 out of 3 was supposed to be out of 5
facebook.com/whotony

#17 of 55 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted May 17 2007 - 05:37 PM

Philistines.
I remember in my film studies class when my prof used two films to do a subs vs. dubs comparison. The two films he used were Life is Beautiful and Like Water for Chocolate. In both cases the subtitles and the original audio were infinitely preferable to the dubs, especially on Like Water for Chocolate; the dialogue in the English dub sounded like a really bad soap opera.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#18 of 55 OFFLINE   Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 11:25 PM

Funny how I'm getting slammed so much, when all I did was ask to verify if it was or was not available in English Audio. I have made no comment one way or the other as to how that answer would or would not affect any decision to rent it. Posted Image

#19 of 55 OFFLINE   Kris Z.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted May 18 2007 - 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
the first day, tuesday, about 2 of 3 decided not to rent because of subs at my store.
today i would say more that it was more.
6-7 out of every 10 people wouldnt rent after i told them it was subbed.
Wow, that is absolutely terrible and ridiculous at the same time. I think I would go crazy if I had to live in a country where everything had to be dubbed in the native language to be accepted.

#20 of 55 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,239 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted May 18 2007 - 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui-Gon John
Funny how I'm getting slammed so much, when all I did was ask to verify if it was or was not available in English Audio. I have made no comment one way or the other as to how that answer would or would not affect any decision to rent it. Posted Image

paranoid much?

it was just a indication on people these days that mentioned the numbers from my store.

it's not all about you, you know.

Posted Image
facebook.com/whotony

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow