What's new

The Matrix Trilogy HD DVD Reviews... (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Looks like Peter Bracke of highdefdigest.com gives The Matrix HD DVDs a rare 5/5 for Image & Sound. Looks like Warner really did pull out all the stops here and give the fans something to really be proud of.

Needless to say The Matrix is a rather big release for the HD DVD format. Glad to know it lives up to the hype....

:)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Sounds great. Now all I need to wait for is the first film sold separately, as I have no use for the sequels.

Jon Moss

Stunt Coordinator
Just received the Ultimate set yesterday. The only slight complaint I have (as mentioned in some of the reviews) is with the discs formats used. The main three films are on HD-DVD combo discs with regular DVD extras on the back of each, and the last two extras discs are both just regular dual layer DVD 9's.

When I heard it would be a five disc set, I figured Warner would use HD-DVD's for the three films, and put all the extras onto two HD-DVD discs.

Ah well I'm just happy to have all three in HD. I think I'm the only one who enjoyed the sequels :)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see such a positive review. :emoji_thumbsup:

FWIW - Love the first two films, the third was a disappointing lost opportunity but I can still somewhat enjoy the spectacle.

Nick Laslett

Stunt Coordinator
It is a shame the Animatrix shorts haven't been upgraded to HD.

I guess that will have to wait for the next release.

I look forward to getting these discs when they are released on Blu-Ray.

The Matrix trilogy presents something of a dilema for me as I have created my own edits of Reloaded & Revolutions, putting the focus back on Neo.

I imagine it will be a long time before I have a computer capable of editing HD footage.

Despite the upgrade in image and sound I can see myself sticking with my version of these two films.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I think just the Ultimate Matrix Collection has used the Combo format, not the Complete Matrix...which I have ordered. :)

Robert George

Screenwriter
My Ultimate Collection set showed up yesterday, and I took the time to sample each of the movies. While I don't particularly like numerical or "star" reviews, I agree with Bracke's assesment and this would get whatever one's maximum number of stars would be. As much of a "wow" as I have seen on either HD format.

These transfer/encodes are as close to perfection as I think may be possible from HD optical disc.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Anyone know what the file size of the films are?

Just curious if they went for 25GB or 30 GB.

If 30, that means either the BDs will drop the TrueHD, or they might optimize for a 50 GB BD. I'd wager the former, but so far TrueHD is on the menu for 300, so you never know.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
When this comes out for Blu-ray, please God let them release each film individually. I love the first one but have no use for the other two.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Glad the reviews are good. Now I just hope Warner puts the same effort into the BD version and takes advantage of their specs and BD-50's.

Robert George

Screenwriter

Just speculation really, but I would take a look at the recent announcement for "300" as an indication of how Warner may handle any potential BD release of the Matrix films. Two most likely scenarios would be to either not release on BD until full BD-J, including PiP, is finalized and implemented in hardware, or release on BD without IME and put some or all of the supplements except IME on the discs separate from the feature. In either case, I would expect the exact same VC-1 encodes and, likely, audio.

Not that that is a bad thing.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
What RobertR said. Hopefully, someday, we'll be able to buy them individually.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
To each their own :) The second movie is the best of the three, in my opinion.

I already have the SD Ultimate extras, so I'll probably opt for the "movies only" version (it does have the IME, correct?).

Not surprised at the quality. Every release of these films has been top-notch (for the time).

DanHal

Stunt Coordinator

Are you saying the Ultimate Matrix Collection is on combo disks, and the Complete Matrix is not?

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I think that is what I am saying. :D....at least that is what I have read from online reviews. Need to check on that...but regardless, a film as good and important as The Matrix should be a purchase regardless whether or not it's a combo disc. Who gives a crap. All I care about is the FILM itself.

Chuck I do believe that both versions get the IME. Here's a quote from the review linked above:

From someone who didn't care for Reloaded at first....time has been kinder to it and who wouldn't want what might be the ultimate action sequence ever filmed in HD. (the highway chase) :cool:

Dave>h

Second Unit
Tim,

The Matrix reloaded is worth the purchase just for that scene...now if only there was some way to edit out the the horror that is the Zion rave scene.

Still trying to come up with a reason to see Revolutions again...

Dave

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Dave, like you, not fond of that scene at all. But we have a feature on the remote called: Fast Forward. (I use it alot) :D

Dave>h

Second Unit
LMFAO
: )

Tim, I always forget about the damned FF button. Will remember that when I get to visit the Matrix in HD. Which should be pretty soon, although have not ordered it through Amazon yet. But I will.

Dave

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This will be a must-buy for me as well, but I'm on the fence between the ultimate set and just the trilogy set (as I have the SD version of the ultimate with the Neo bust, so perhaps I'll just go trilogy on HD DVD). I saw Reloaded 6 times on IMAX, so suffice it to say, I enjoyed the 2nd film, probably more than the first, and much more than the 3rd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks