-

Photo
- - - - -

The Matrix Trilogy HD DVD Reviews...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
166 replies to this topic

#1 of 167 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,658 posts

Posted May 15 2007 - 07:52 PM

Looks like Peter Bracke of highdefdigest.com gives The Matrix HD DVDs a rare 5/5 for Image & Sound. Looks like Warner really did pull out all the stops here and give the fans something to really be proud of.

Posted Image Posted Image

Image:
Quote:
Needless to say, Warner had its work cut out for it, but HD DVD fans will be pleased to hear that Warner has absolutely delivered the goods. In fact, this release compares favorably to anything I've seen yet on either high-def format. All three 'Matrix' films look fantastic on HD DVD, and I'd be more than happy to whip out any of them when I need a demo disc to show off my system.

Quote:
Warner has clearly gone back and remastered the trilogy, minting new high-def masters. Doing a direct compare with the original discs, the results are immediately obvious. One of the many impressive aspects of the set as a whole is its consistency -- despite the four-year gap between 'The Matrix' and its two sequels, I could scarcely tell any difference between them. Cue up any sequence of any of the flicks, and prepare to be suitably wowed.

Posted Image Posted Image

Quote:
This is the kind of three-dimensional, picture-perfect image high-def is all about....This is really fantastic stuff -- 'The Matrix' trilogy easily earns an exemplary five-star video rating.

Audio:
Quote:
Happily, the studio has opted to include full-blown Dolby TrueHD 5.1 surround tracks (48kHz/16-bit) for each film, as well as optional 640kbps Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1 surround mixes. I was just as impressed with the audio as I was the video -- this one absolutely rocks the house.

Quote:
Dynamics are also top-notch. Just as "bullet time" revolutionized modern special effects, the sound design here is also pioneering. In hindsight, it shouldn't have been a surprise that the original 'Matrix' swept most of the 1999 Oscars given for tech categories over 'Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.' The use of extended low bass, and the way the mingling of natural and mechanical effects and tones to create a chilling, suspended-animation-like aural effect is fantastic.

Quote:
The Dolby TrueHD format easily handles this complex presentation, with airtight low bass extension all the way down to the lowest frequencies. Mid- and high-range is also wonderfully clear and free from irritating harshness.

Needless to say The Matrix is a rather big release for the HD DVD format. Glad to know it lives up to the hype....

Posted Image

#2 of 167 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,486 posts

Posted May 15 2007 - 11:07 PM

Sounds great. Now all I need to wait for is the first film sold separately, as I have no use for the sequels.

#3 of 167 Jon Moss

Jon Moss

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted May 15 2007 - 11:33 PM

Just received the Ultimate set yesterday. The only slight complaint I have (as mentioned in some of the reviews) is with the discs formats used. The main three films are on HD-DVD combo discs with regular DVD extras on the back of each, and the last two extras discs are both just regular dual layer DVD 9's.

When I heard it would be a five disc set, I figured Warner would use HD-DVD's for the three films, and put all the extras onto two HD-DVD discs.

Ah well I'm just happy to have all three in HD. I think I'm the only one who enjoyed the sequels Posted Image

#4 of 167 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted May 15 2007 - 11:56 PM

Glad to see such a positive review. Posted Image

FWIW - Love the first two films, the third was a disappointing lost opportunity but I can still somewhat enjoy the spectacle.

Death before Streaming!

#5 of 167 Nick Laslett

Nick Laslett

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 12:07 AM

It is a shame the Animatrix shorts haven't been upgraded to HD.

I guess that will have to wait for the next release.

I look forward to getting these discs when they are released on Blu-Ray.

The Matrix trilogy presents something of a dilema for me as I have created my own edits of Reloaded & Revolutions, putting the focus back on Neo.

I imagine it will be a long time before I have a computer capable of editing HD footage.

Despite the upgrade in image and sound I can see myself sticking with my version of these two films.

#6 of 167 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,658 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 01:41 AM

I think just the Ultimate Matrix Collection has used the Combo format, not the Complete Matrix...which I have ordered. Posted Image

#7 of 167 Robert George

Robert George

Screenwriter

• 1,014 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 02:22 AM

My Ultimate Collection set showed up yesterday, and I took the time to sample each of the movies. While I don't particularly like numerical or "star" reviews, I agree with Bracke's assesment and this would get whatever one's maximum number of stars would be. As much of a "wow" as I have seen on either HD format.

These transfer/encodes are as close to perfection as I think may be possible from HD optical disc.

#8 of 167 Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 04:18 AM

Anyone know what the file size of the films are?

Just curious if they went for 25GB or 30 GB.

If 30, that means either the BDs will drop the TrueHD, or they might optimize for a 50 GB BD. I'd wager the former, but so far TrueHD is on the menu for 300, so you never know.
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#9 of 167 Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted May 16 2007 - 05:04 AM

When this comes out for Blu-ray, please God let them release each film individually. I love the first one but have no use for the other two.

#10 of 167 Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 05:20 AM

Glad the reviews are good. Now I just hope Warner puts the same effort into the BD version and takes advantage of their specs and BD-50's.

#11 of 167 Robert George

Robert George

Screenwriter

• 1,014 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 05:41 AM

Quote:
Now I just hope Warner puts the same effort into the BD version and takes advantage of their specs and BD-50's.

Just speculation really, but I would take a look at the recent announcement for "300" as an indication of how Warner may handle any potential BD release of the Matrix films. Two most likely scenarios would be to either not release on BD until full BD-J, including PiP, is finalized and implemented in hardware, or release on BD without IME and put some or all of the supplements except IME on the discs separate from the feature. In either case, I would expect the exact same VC-1 encodes and, likely, audio.

Not that that is a bad thing.

#12 of 167 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 06:40 AM

What RobertR said. Hopefully, someday, we'll be able to buy them individually.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#13 of 167 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,976 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted May 16 2007 - 12:25 PM

To each their own Posted Image The second movie is the best of the three, in my opinion.

I already have the SD Ultimate extras, so I'll probably opt for the "movies only" version (it does have the IME, correct?).

Not surprised at the quality. Every release of these films has been top-notch (for the time).
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#14 of 167 DanHal

DanHal

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Glover
I think just the Ultimate Matrix Collection has used the Combo format, not the Complete Matrix...which I have ordered. Posted Image

Are you saying the Ultimate Matrix Collection is on combo disks, and the Complete Matrix is not?

#15 of 167 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,658 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 03:37 PM

I think that is what I am saying. Posted Image....at least that is what I have read from online reviews. Need to check on that...but regardless, a film as good and important as The Matrix should be a purchase regardless whether or not it's a combo disc. Who gives a crap. All I care about is the FILM itself.

Chuck I do believe that both versions get the IME. Here's a quote from the review linked above:

Quote:
After wading through the 30+ hours of standard-def supplements on the 'Ultimate Collection' set, by the time I got around to watching the picture-in-picture video commentaries exclusive to both HD DVD releases, I really thought I'd had it with the Matrix series. But simply put, these three tracks (one per film, for 'The Matrix,' 'Reloaded' and 'Revolutions'), are a godsend for fans like myself who are intrigued by the 'Matrix' mythology, but looking for a more concise, general overview of their making.

From someone who didn't care for Reloaded at first....time has been kinder to it and who wouldn't want what might be the ultimate action sequence ever filmed in HD. (the highway chase) Posted Image

#16 of 167 Dave>h

Dave>h

Second Unit

• 365 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 01:19 AM

Tim,

The Matrix reloaded is worth the purchase just for that scene...now if only there was some way to edit out the the horror that is the Zion rave scene.

Still trying to come up with a reason to see Revolutions again...

Dave

#17 of 167 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,658 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 02:04 AM

Dave, like you, not fond of that scene at all. But we have a feature on the remote called: Fast Forward. (I use it alot) Posted Image

#18 of 167 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 03:03 AM

Posted Image

Whoo hoo! Matrix in HD! Whoo hoo! Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#19 of 167 Dave>h

Dave>h

Second Unit

• 365 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 03:19 AM

LMFAO
: )

Tim, I always forget about the damned FF button. Will remember that when I get to visit the Matrix in HD. Which should be pretty soon, although have not ordered it through Amazon yet. But I will.

Dave

#20 of 167 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,672 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 04:02 AM

This will be a must-buy for me as well, but I'm on the fence between the ultimate set and just the trilogy set (as I have the SD version of the ultimate with the Neo bust, so perhaps I'll just go trilogy on HD DVD). I saw Reloaded 6 times on IMAX, so suffice it to say, I enjoyed the 2nd film, probably more than the first, and much more than the 3rd.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow